Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #1
Alaska Jim

Default driveshaft yoke

Has anyone bought one of Shoebox Central's new driveshaft yoke's ? They show a new one that is for 49-55 Ford and Mercury. I bought one and went to put it on the driveshaft last night and it seems as the U- joint "eyes " are a bit oversize and the cup will just push in with just the pressure of your hands. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or did I just get a bad one. I have not contacted the vendor yet, I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this part from them. all of the stuff I bought from them in the past has been fine. I will post this on the late v8 forum as well. thank you for any input.-----Jim

Last edited by Alaska Jim; 03-09-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:19 PM   #2
Don T

Default Re: driveshaft yoke

This is a guess based on my experience with this yoke; very poorly made and not to dimension. I got one from Chris at Shoebox Central, the shaft was way under spec for diameter, way to sloppy a fit in a tranny with zero miles on it. I was unable to confirm if he had another of the correct diameter so I returned it. I got one from Midwest Early Ford; it was better as far as diameter was concerned but you could catch your fingernails on it as it was machined so poorly. I polished it up a bit with emery and went with the install ,I should not have but it was summer!!. Lasted 1000 miles and the tail-shaft seal was gone, bushing gone too. Both these yokes had zero marks to indicate who made them or any sort of numbers stamped or otherwise marked on them. I was able to locate a NOS yoke on flebay, got a new bushing from Rock Auto and all is good!! I did not really enjoy pulling the tranny thou. I have no problem with Shoebox Central or Midwest Early Ford, but I believe they are getting junk parts and likely from the same supplier; perhaps it would be helpful if measurements were taken ( with a micrometer) when they receive these parts, a little more quality control would help. Again this is just my guess about your yoke.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:29 AM   #3
Alaska Jim

Don, thank you for your information. Did you have any trouble making the return? Thanks for your help.--- Jim
Old 03-10-2021, 03:48 PM   #4
Don T

No problem doing the return, Shoebox Central is good. Still a PIA as I searched for a long time to get the NOS. A search on this forum might get you to a replacement (think it was old powerglide trans yoke) which might work for you. I am working on a CDN Meteor, 1950 and according to Ford manual the driveshaft is a little short; I thought the powerglide unit suggested would not run deep enough in the tailshaft bushing so did not try it. All the driveshafts I found here were the same length as mine. Hope this helps.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
No problem doing the return, Shoebox Central is good. Still a PIA as I searched for a long time to get the NOS. A search on this forum might get you to a replacement (think it was old powerglide trans yoke) which might work for you. I am working on a CDN Meteor, 1950 and according to Ford manual the driveshaft is a little short; I thought the powerglide unit suggested would not run deep enough in the tailshaft bushing so did not try it. All the driveshafts I found here were the same length as mine. Hope this helps.
Am I correct in assuming that OLD Powerglide yoke is 16-spline? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
skidmarks

Early powerglide, early chevy 3 speed. F1 open drive pickup, early ford O matic had that 16 spline with some difference. The F1 is the shortest i have found and the fordomatic had a tin cover that you can cut off
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:24 PM   #7
Pete

What is wrong with buying a genuine Spicer from a driveshaft shop?
Most big cities have a shop that specializes in nothing but driveshafts and most use Spicer and most will mail you one.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:53 PM   #8
Alaska Jim

Pete, I have not been able to find a shop that can source a yoke like the original. The drive shaft shop here in Anchorage said that the closed thing they had ( or could get, the closed being in Portland , Or.) was a yoke that was actually for a chevy, and that I would have to modify the driveshaft to accept a different u-joint To every one here reading this I want to be clear that I contacted Chris at Shoebox Central, and he said that he would refund my money if I returned the yoke, and that I have no problem with them. he also stated that he was surprised and that he sell a lot of these yoke's
Old 03-10-2021, 06:00 PM   #9
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
Pete, I have not been able to find a shop that can source a yoke like the original. The drive shaft shop here in Anchorage said that the closed thing they had ( or could get, the closed being in Portland , Or.) was a yoke that was actually for a chevy, and that I would have to modify the driveshaft to accept a different u-joint To every one here reading this I want to be clear that I contacted Chris at Shoebox Central, and he said that he would refund my money if I returned the yoke, and that I have no problem with them. he also stated that he was surprised and that he sell a lot of these yoke's
Try the shop in Fife (next door to Tacoma). They have always been able to get the oddball stuff I have needed.

Not sure of the name but may be Drivelines Northwest.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:06 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Try the shop in Fife (next door to Tacoma). They have always been able to get the oddball stuff I have needed.

Not sure of the name but may be Drivelines Northwest.

Yup....Right where Pete said it was! DD

https://www.drivelinesnw.com/company/fife/

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:56 PM   #11
Alaska Jim

Thank you Pete, and V8Coopman, I will give them a call, and see what they say.---Jim