Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2017, 02:30 AM   #1
Beauford

Default Briggs or Briggs T/S??

It has slant windshield. Don't mind the parts shelf on the roof or what is left of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0552.jpg (58.7 KB, 274 views)
Beauford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:53 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Briggs or Briggs T/S??

The windshield can be tilted out, but that isn't a slant body. I don't have a picture handy, but hopefully someone will post a slant sedan picture to compare.

Unfortunately your body will need a lot of wood work, which is quite expensive.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
Terry, NJ

GOOD GOD! I didn't know you could take the body that far apart without a cutting torch! Mine was almost as bad, but the back end of my body was intact, everything else, not so much. Yes it's a Briggs! Town sedan, I can't say. Does it have cowl lights? a pull down arm rest in the middle of the rear seat? An oval interior light in the rear of the body? These are the defining characteristics of a Town Sedan. A "Standard has none of these. A "Delxue" has cowl lights and something else that I can't remember.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
1930artdeco

Beauford, what you have there is a 'Blindback'. They are very nice bodies but there is no third window hence the name. Lots and lots of wood as you have seen I am sure. They (to me at least) are a very classy body design.

Mike
Old 04-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
160B

Here is a side photo of a 1931 160B

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
jrelliott

That body looks like my '28 blind back. The rear of the body was covered with metal panels that were tacked on. Has a very small rear window. BTW the metal that goes from the back of the body from the rear doors to the front windshield area above the doors is VERY difficult to find along with the rain gutters for that model.
Fill all of the nail holes with round tooth picks coated in glue. A lot of work, but will give you a surface to tack new nails for attaching the sheet metal
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:13 PM   #7
jm29henry

I think jreloiit is right!!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #8
Brianfrench65

I've been there. Good Luck. It is entirely possible to save.

Good Luck;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1697.jpg (56.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
Brianfrench65

Finished
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3040.jpg (86.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
GOOD GOD! I didn't know you could take the body that far apart without a cutting torch! Mine was almost as bad, but the back end of my body was intact, everything else, not so much. Yes it's a Briggs! Town sedan, I can't say. Does it have cowl lights? a pull down arm rest in the middle of the rear seat? An oval interior light in the rear of the body? These are the defining characteristics of a Town Sedan. A "Standard has none of these. A "Delxue" has cowl lights and something else that I can't remember.
Terry
A Deluxe is a "Two Window"? Which this might be.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #11
Beauford

It has the oval interior light in the rear.

The wood other than around the rear window, top side pieces that run over the doors (rot) and a couple of door pieces (missing) are pretty good.

If it is a blind back does anyone sell the rear roof metal?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #12
Beauford

The wood other than around the rear window, top side pieces that run over the doors (rot) and a couple of door pieces (missing) are pretty good.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauford View Post

See what jrelliott said in post #6 about the metal. I don't believe you can pick and choose which parts of the wood you can buy. It all comes as a "Kit" (or two). I could be wrong.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/bo...ood-kits&t=&q=

You "wood" (would, haha, get it... never mind ) be better off if it was a SW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fordorwood copy.jpg (126.7 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-26-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #14
Beauford

Y-Blockhead.....ford wood will sell pieces but they are still extremely high. I have a cabinet maker that could handle the few pieces I need. I'm just going to have a full sheet metal roof made. The stamp on my cowl is August '28. Did they make blind backs then????
Old 04-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #15
Terry, NJ

It seems you have a rather desirable model. I was wondering about the "blind back" and if it might be one. But my lack of familiarity with these models made me wait for someone else's answer. For what it's worth, replace every piece of wood that's even questionable, you'll be happier in the long run. There's nothing worse than a piece of wood that won't take a nail. If that nail isn't fast to the wood in your garage how's it going to be out on the humpy bumpy road? Word to the wise, don't use Oak It swells with changing moisture. Henry used Ash. Some of the wood you don't need a cabinet maker for, like the rear seat base. Good Luck!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:29 PM   #16
1930artdeco

You can contact Berts in Colorado to see what they have as far as sheet metal goes. A long shot (this just a guess on my part) would be to find a donor sedan and cut out the section you need and fill in the window?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:10 AM   #17
Chuck Sea/Tac

It's possible it's a 170, because to me it looks like a 30. cowl?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:25 AM   #18
Beauford

Firewall says 8/28 and can't find a '28 blindback.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:36 AM   #19
Beauford

yup...just found one online. Blindback it is! What part of roof from top to around back window is metal and why are these desirable? Is it because most look like this thus no one has the money or time to restore? HAHAHAHA

I have access to cherry wood I am going to use.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #20
jrelliott

It is a blindback. The date on my firewall is 9/11/28. If you cannot find the metal pieces, you could look to an aircraft mechanic who has an English Wheel which is used to form metal.
n the wood pieces, if you are somewhat handy at cabinetry, you could make them your self. Just be aware that there are many complex mortise and tendon joints in the wood so you have to replicate the parts exactly for them to fit.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:37 AM   #21
Beauford

jreloiit...so what places on top are metal? Wouldn't it kinda be like a steel back? Thanks for all your help? Is there any viny? What area is roff covered with that?
Old 04-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #22
mike657894

i think its like the sport coupe where there is just canvas or leather over the bows you could build up the wood and put thin plywood like luan and then leather over that.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:03 PM   #23
Beauford

Got a email into Steve on metal but I bet it will be impossible to find. I bet it would be cheaper to have a body shop just make a complete sheet metal roof and glue the faux leather part. Who would know the difference?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #24
Dick Carne

You have what appears to be the makings of a very nice '28 Blindback - a very nice body style in my opinion. Also, just my opinion, it would be a mistake to consider any sort of metal fabricated roof as opposed to the original design. As Terry stated above, if it were me, I would also take the time to consider replacing all of the wood that showed any sign of compromise, since there is too much involved to take short-cuts in rebuilding one of these wood-framed bodies. For that reason if no other, I think that it would be a mistake to try to fabricate an alternative roof design, since the structural integrity of the car comes from the wood framework and not the metal "skin". Furthermore, it may be more difficult to design an alternative roof line that would have the otherwise graceful lines of the original body without having to make a fairly substantial investment; regardless, the value of the finished car would be severely reduced in that event, again, just my opinion. While any wood framed body is a challenge, the results from taking the time to properly rebuild the framework are well worth the effort. Before you make any decision though, I might encourage you to take the time to make a personal inspection of an actual restored version of this model. In my opinion, the body's grace of line will speak for itself. Best of luck to you regardless of your ultimate decision.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:53 PM   #25
Beauford

Dick, you are correct but I doubt I will find original metal. There is a reason they are rare. I assume most rust away because not many people can afford the wood let alone finding the metal for the roof.(Have no idea why it came without it) I would love to have it look complete. The wood is not so much of a issue. 80% or better is solid. Only the wood over the doors is bad (rails) and around the rear window. Missing bottom piece of wood on both front doors and the curved piece on drivers side rear door so not a real big deal until you do the math from the vendors. I'm not going for a points car but would like it somewhat correct. I was thinking it was a leatherback and was going to get off cheaper.....If I can't find the metal I will probably sell the body and put a '28 pick-up on the frame.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:24 AM   #26
juke joint johnny

Beauford I have an early 29 Briggs Leatherback That I recently imported from the USA,
Luckily for me it is a very solid original car, but the roof covering needs to be replaced.

I will be removing the old covering in the next few weeks. This will reveal the metal work that you are missing ,I could send you pictures when I take the cover off.
I think they are very simple sheet metal panels that any sheet metal shop would be able to fabricate for you.
I also have one of the front door panels off so could send pics of that wood as well.

Hope this Helps

John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #27
jrelliott

Beauford send me your email address and will send you some photos of the body before restoration to show you what panels are metal and some pictures of the insides of the doors for how they areconstructed. My email is [email protected]
Old 04-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #28
Beauford

Juke, I would appreciate any photos as the wood work is the same. Some is so bad I do not have a pattern to go by on the roof. Thanks. My email is [email protected]

jrelliott...email sent! Thank you, sir!