Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:40 PM   #21
forever4
BANNED

Default Re: White tailpipe exhause briefly after starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfun View Post
Well I have more information than when I started.

* The cooling system is down a qt.
* No apparent water seen thru plug holes
* Oil does not look milky
* Checked head nuts for torque and all seemed OK (55#)
* I'll do a compression test tomorrow

I've never done a Leak-down test. Can that be done with Compression test gauge or do I need more equipment?

Is it important to test fluid for combustion gases? If so, what do I need for that?

Thanks for all of the good advice. Seems like I'm headed toward pulling the head, which will be a new experience.
Hey Bill,
Is fordfun having fun yet?

Hope all this back and forth was helpful and not intimidating.
I bet a few people learned something.

Here are a couple more links to visit if you pull the head.

Model A Ford Garage ~ Model A and B Cylinder Head Gasket Guide
www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABcylinderheadgasketguide.htm

Model A Ford Garage ~ Brumfield Cylinder Head Gasket Instructionss
www.fordgarage.com/pages/brumfieldheadinstructions.htm

Model A Ford Garage ~ Snap-On Cylinder Head Nut Wrench
www.fordgarage.com/pages/snaponheadwrench.htm

Model A Ford Garage ~ Cylinder Head Nut Tightening Sequence
www.fordgarage.com/pages/tighteningsequence.htm

Last edited by forever4; 06-23-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:44 PM   #22
Barber31

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
The whole concept of how a bolted joint works and maintains clamp load is based on 'stretch'. Elastic stretch is a good thing. The amount of bolt/stud stretch is controlled through torque application. A non-elastic bolt with "all the stretch removed" is about the worst idea anyone could have for an automotive joint.

The other point is that everything shrinks and expands with temperature change, not just the bolts/studs. Also the head and the block expand and contract. Some 'experts' here don't seem to comprehend that fact.

The idea that premium fasteners are based on "They are recommended for racing applications for their ability to not stretch like its competitors or snap." is also bogus. Does ARP actually say that anywhere?

The sign of a good fastener is both its material properties and design, as well as its consistency and repeatability and minimal variation. Not its ability to 'not stretch'.

In the case of 'low quality' fasteners (think Chinese so-called grade 5 at Lowes), they often have material properties which are lower than their required strength and performance, resulting in permanent yield or fracture during installation or service. Permanent set or fracture is not elastic stretch, and that is a bad thing for fasteners.

Pete is 100% correct.

EDIT:

No, they actually stretch 'quite a bit', not 'very very little'. That is what makes them work across a range of temperatures and loads.

http://arp-bolts.com/p/technical.php

That was a pretty good point. But it was based on misinterpreting my statement. I stated " ARP does not stretch or snap like its competitors" meaning they're ability of stretch is unmatched. Not that they have zero stretch. So what I really meant was actually not bogus. If Pete is 100% correct as you say then I would love to meet tbirdtbird being that he is a reading/typing Christmas goose that is full of shit!!! Haha That was actually the only statement I'm pretty sure is bogus. And you didn't teach me anything I didn't already know this time. But I'm sure I could learn a thing or two in other areas.

Last edited by Barber31; 06-23-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-24-2016, 12:18 AM   #23
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber31 View Post
That was a pretty good point. But it was based on misinterpreting my statement. I stated " ARP does not stretch or snap like its competitors" meaning they're ability of stretch is unmatched. Not that they have zero stretch. So what I really meant was actually not bogus. If Pete is 100% correct as you say then I would love to meet tbirdtbird being that he is a reading/typing Christmas goose that is full of shit!!! Haha That was actually the only statement I'm pretty sure is bogus. And you didn't teach me anything I didn't already know this time. But I'm sure I could learn a thing or two in other areas.
That statement wasn't bogus!
Bill
Old 06-24-2016, 12:46 AM   #24
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
You are as full of shit as a Christmas goose!
You need a kindergarten course in metalurgy.
And you are coming across as an internet idiot. Please be genuinely nice to folks or don't use my forum.
Closed Thread