Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
Big hammer

Default Steering rant

When I purchased my late 31 tudor, it had alot of problems! The steering was hard to turn, loose as a goose. With the wider than normal tires,6:50-16, I could hardly turn it sitting still. Please don't try turning the steering wheel unless the car is rolling, just a little moving works! For the loose as a goose and very hard turning, when exiting a turn I would have to turn it manually back!
So after buying and reading ford service manual, I removed the steering box from the car. Once in a dark dingy basement shop, I disassembled the box,cleaned and inspected what a had! As a dumb 16 yr old,i decided to just reseal,reassemble,and reinstall in my car. Following FORDS SERVICE MANUAL I proceed with my plan. After I finished,I had a nice wheel, smooth, no slop, and when exiting a turn the wheel would turn by itself! Still it was almost impossible to turn the wheel sitting still, even today with 19" tires, unless the car is rolling a little, a little means, letting the clutch out a lttle, then turn your steering wheel!
The rant" buy the ford service manual " read,follow,repair, and enjoy your Ford model A, the way it was made! In the 30's they had mud rutted roads not paved smooth roads. Modern weak man needs to suck it up, go and enjoy their model A's the way it was made!!! If you need power steering to drive your A's hire a chauffeur! Rant over :-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Steering rant

yea my chevette with manual rack and pinion is hard to turn when dead stopped - move like 3" and wheel is easy - highway it just glides in turns.

29 model AA is about the same way with the 600-20" tires. Mine unwinds somewhat but everything is new and reballed so it may need to wear in a bit. Definitely need to add the upper steering column support as i can see how the gas tank mounted one would rip off. i can also see how so many steering columns crack too.

Gotta remember its much easier to turn on dirt and gravel they had back then when compared to our modern sticky concrete and asphalt roads.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
larrys40

Big Hammer - Not sure if you just wanted to "rant" or if you're looking for direction... When your front end and steering box along with good tires are all in "restored/rebuilt" order you will be surprised how well and easy they can steer for a manual system.
The main components affecting it are:
Front end assembly restored including spindle bolts, etc
Front steering arms, tie rods,drag link - all balls should be round and restored
Steer eze kit added- helps eliminate the wear on the balls and makes it steer easier
Properly rebuilt and adjusted steering box
toe in properly set
Good tires - believe it or not some tires steer harder than others.
Also proper lubrication where applicable. ( not grease in the steering box)

It is attainable... you can chip away at it..a component at a time... lots of good info/direction on the forum here. I see your in Illinois.. I'm down St. Louis way and do service/restoration work on them if you need local help.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
Big hammer

No worries with my STOCK STEERING:-), it works very well :-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
Synchro909

There was no power steering on cars when I learned to drive. I don't notice the steering on any of my As being heavy - guess I still wait till i'm moving before I turn the wheel. Technique, technique, technique.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Chippy Minton

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Mine turns easily. Huge steering wheel and narrow tyres, nothing like a modern car.
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #7
captndan

Ford made the Model A
Firestone made the tires
Armstrong made the steering
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote