Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default Wire Wheel Tires with Radisl tires

I know I need to seal the Wire Tires for leaks. Have any of you ever done this? That my next project to do. I did search on Google how to do this.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
Old Redneck

Default Re: Wire Wheel with Radisl tires

I sure did mess that up a bit. I know I should proof read but I don't. Wire Wheels leak air and need to be sealed. What the best way to do that. Tubes are a no no in Radial tires.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
packrat5
BANNED

Default Re: Wire Wheel Tires with Radisl tires

I shouldn't jump in this, but, you know, there are radial tubes. You also need rim strips with tubes. The question I ask is why do you insist on radial tires in the first place? Bias tires would probably work just as well for your use. Bias ply tires are not bad, just different than radials. Each have good and bad features.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
Old Redneck

I got talk in to buying them so I got to make the best of it. Tubes are no good in Radial tires. On open highways they get very hot and blow up. I had that to happen to me.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:06 PM   #5
miker98038

If you're talking about the "Thunderbird" wires with the spokes out by the bead, I've never seen anyone claim to be able to seal them. I drove those wires with radials and the proper tubes for years, and never a problem.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #6
paul2748

First I ever heard of that. I know a friend with a 56 Bird - wire wheels, radial with tubes. Put thousands and thousands of miles on them going from convention to convention all over the country. Never known him to have a problem. I went with him on a couple of the trips with my car (no wires).

I know some other Bird owners with the same set up - no problems with the tires/tubes.

You have to run a liner to cover the spokes on the inside of the wheel. Best when mounting the tires with tubes is to use plenty a talcum powder on the tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Redneck View Post
I got talk in to buying them so I got to make the best of it. Tubes are no good in Radial tires. On open highways they get very hot and blow up. I had that to happen to me.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Aren't there specially rated tubes for radial tires? To handle the additional sidewall heat...
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:57 AM   #8
Vern Appleton

That, I didn't know of. I'll try to Google that.
Vern Appleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:50 AM   #9
Old Redneck

I google that and they said it a no no to put tubes in Radial tires. Glad to hear from you all. That how we learn.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #10
Ole Don

I'll bet a years income the guy who wrote in Google that tubes in radial tires is a no-no is a young guy. Special radial tubes were used in heavy trucking for years in radials. I would recommend a call to Coker to answer the original question.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #11
dmsfrr

The Chevron gas station I worked at back in the early 70's had boxes with tubes for radial car tires on the shelf, next to the other tubes. Product types and availability have likely changed a few times since then....

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-15-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #12
alt63bird

Default Re: Wire Wheel Tires with Radial tires

Standard procedure in this day and age for running OEM Kelsey Hayes wire wheels for '62-'64 T-birds with radial tires is to use a radial tube (available from Coker), wrap the rim with 10 mil cushioned lineman's electrical tape 2"-wide to cover the spoke nipples (available at electrical supply store and maybe the big-box stores like Lowe's), and use lots of talcum powder when mounting.

If there was a heavy rim liner like what was originally installed on them I'd use them too, but they haven't been available for decades. If someone knows of a source for them (other than the guy in Seattle who's personal fifedom is the Sports Roadster Society), I'd sure like to know.

I have NEVER trusted aftermarket wires that have been slugged full with silicone or other types of sealant over the inside face of the rim.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:49 PM   #13
Vern Appleton

Quote:
"I have NEVER trusted aftermarket wires that have been slugged full with silicone or other types of sealant over the inside face of the rim."
I understand that, that is why I would recommend you to check out 4WheelOnline. All of their aftermarket tires and wheels are high-quality, unlike the other low-quality tires and rims you know today.
Vern Appleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:17 PM   #14
55blacktie

"Tubeless" tires weren't designed to be used with tubes. Tubeless tires gradually lose air when punctured. Tubes pop like a balloon when punctured, losing all the air at once (not good). It was common (in the old days) to put a tube inside a tubeless tire that could not be plugged/patched, rather than replace the tire. I don't recommend it, but it's the only way you will keep air inside your tires/w spoke wheels.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:25 PM   #15
rotorwrench

I bought a set of True Spoke wires back in the 70s and they were sealed with what looked to be epoxy and fiberglass mat wrapped around several turns in the rim well. They always leaked. I eventually put tubes in them and they held up till I finally sold the car they were on. Coker sells radial tubes as well as some others. I think rim strips or flaps are still available to cover the spoke nipple ends. Tubes don't like rough spots to wear against. No tube can survive that kind of friction.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:43 AM   #16
KULTULZ

Post Re: Wire Wheel Tires with Radisl tires

This should answer the questions - https://www.cokertire.com/blog/tube-tech

WHEEL FLAPS - https://www.cokertire.com/accessorie...ers/flaps.html

WHEEL RIM STRIPS - https://www.cokertire.com/accessorie...im-strips.html

ADDENDUM (Fr. For More Info) -

Quote:
Wire wheels require a little extra care when mounting tires. First, regardless of the type of tire you purchase, wire wheels require the use of an inner tube. For clarification, "tubeless tires" mean the tire bead is designed to provide an airtight seal against the rim. It does not mean you cannot use an inner tube. Of course tires produced prior to the tubeless technology will always require an inner tube as will any wire wheel. This may seem obvious, but whenever you are mounting new tires on wire wheels remember to use new inner tubes. Inner tubes will degrade over time just like tires, and while the tube may look good, you should still use new tubes.

SOURCE - https://www.hotrod.com/articles/moun...wire-wheels-2/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WHEEL - Wire Wheel Liner - FORD PN C2SZ 1026-A.jpg (62.7 KB, 14 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 05-25-2021 at 07:49 AM. Reason: CRS - ADVANCED
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:17 PM   #17
L5wolvesf

FWIW: In my very early autoX days I ran an MGB with wire wheels. They had a thick rubber band over the ends of the spokes. It fit pretty tight and I never had a problem with it.

I also ran radial tires (street and autoX) with tubes for years - again no problems.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:58 PM   #18
KULTULZ

Question Re: Wire Wheel Tires with Radisl tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55blacktie View Post

"Tubeless" tires weren't designed to be used with tubes.

Tubeless tires gradually lose air when punctured. Tubes pop like a balloon when punctured, losing all the air at once (not good). It was common (in the old days) to put a tube inside a tubeless tire that could not be plugged/patched, rather than replace the tire. I don't recommend it, but it's the only way you will keep air inside your tires/w spoke wheels.

Steve McQueen II is also a tire expert ...

Quote:
Tubeless tires are pretty straight forward. In most cases you can mount them to the wheel, and air them up, and they will remain inflated, unless there is damage to the tire or wheel. With that said, buying a tubeless tire doesn't mean that you CAN'T use a tube. It simply means that the bead is designed to seal against the rim without the use of a tube. As mentioned, wire wheels require the use of tubes. When it comes time to buy new tires for your vintage car, truck or motorcycle, always remember tubes, rim strips and/or flaps if applicable.

SOURCE - COKER TIRE

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #19
dmsfrr

A note of caution when putting tubes in radial tires...
Because radial tire sidewalls flex more than bias-ply tires they generate more heat in the sidewall. That heat can cause sudden failure of a 'generic' inner tube.
Tubes rated for radial tires are available.

https://firestonetubes.com/policies-and-forms/page/1/tube-safety

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-27-2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:03 AM   #20
grumppyoldman

I have True Spoke wheels on my 55 Fairlane, had a valve stem break off from age. Took it to a local tire shop to have it fixed, this guy has bee in the tire business for years and knows his business. He told me to get a heavy duty tube a size smaller than tire, rim size, He said it would not try to wrinkle up when installing and he used talc powder so it would slip inside the tire when airing up. I'm using Coker wide whites, but haven't driven them that much. Tires and tubes were 11yrs. old so I put all new on 2 yrs. ago.
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote