Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
mrtexas

Default Paint remover

Had been getting aircraft paint remover from the local auto paint store. Worked pretty good. Now they have the new and improved methylene chloride free remover and just as expensive per gallon at $70! For those not in the know methylene chloride is the stuff that burns your skin and old paint on the old paint remover. I needed some paint remover for an old oak desk and found out the removers from the hardware store don't even work for varnish anymore. So was using aircraft remover on wood as well.

Have to say the new stuff does work and no burns to the fingers. Takes longer however. I'm finishing up removing the paint from 4 wheels for my 49. Wish I could get the finger burning style however.

Had been noticing that the burning old stuff was not working as well as I remember years ago. Perhaps it was low methylene chloride.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Paint remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
Had been getting aircraft paint remover from the local auto paint store. Worked pretty good. Now they have the new and improved methylene chloride free remover and just as expensive per gallon at $70! For those not in the know methylene chloride is the stuff that burns your skin and old paint on the old paint remover. I needed some paint remover for an old oak desk and found out the removers from the hardware store don't even work for varnish anymore. So was using aircraft remover on wood as well.

Have to say the new stuff does work and no burns to the fingers. Takes longer however. I'm finishing up removing the paint from 4 wheels for my 49. Wish I could get the finger burning style however.

Had been noticing that the burning old stuff was not working as well as I remember years ago. Perhaps it was low methylene chloride.
Paint remover? For the most part, I use sand. Sheet metal I use plastic beads. You my friend, apparently have a lot more patience than me
Old 12-28-2019, 09:30 PM   #3
r_reed

i still occasionally use methylene chloride on projects wood or metal, but only outside. if you read the label, it says "may cause blindness or death." fumes are heavy and go downward highly flammable, inhaling can cause heart attacks. i agree the newer stuff even with MC are not as strong as 20/30 years ago. i use citristrip now primarily on wood, haven't tried it on metal.
East Glenville NY
r_reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:59 PM   #4
fordor41

I used strip-ease on my '41 fordor. one coat removed almost all the factory paint and a second finished it off. we stripped the entire car in one afternoon. taped off all seams with duct tape and finished with a sander.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:52 AM   #5
RalphM

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Citri-strip works pretty good on metal, but it takes time, 5-6 hours, I usually put it on at night for paint removal the next morning. My car also had old laquer primer which softened, but most of it needed a scotchbrite pad and mineral spirits, and a little elbow grease.
Good thing is it doesn’t stink up the shop like a harsh chemical, smells real fruity!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C1C274C6-A4CC-4C79-ADF4-CDA114573D9A.jpg (9.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg F0888529-A419-48F1-BA5A-0344BCB7D7B6.jpg (60.2 KB, 42 views)
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote