Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
zuburg

Default Exhaust system for 1956 Thunderbird

I’m preparing for the realization that I might have to replace the exhaust system on my 1956 Thunderbird.

I see that the exhaust kits for 1955’s don’t include a resonator, which makes me wonder if a resonator is needed on a 1956?

Also, in researching mufflers and resonators in general, I found one description that said the resonator goes in front of the muffler (Resonators prepare the loud noise coming from your engine for the muffler to silence it).

From the pictures in the parts catalog, it shows the pictures resonators after the mufflers. Also, in the parts catalogs, they sell a complete kit with and without a resonator. Are the kits without resonators designed to delete the resonator or reuse the old resonators?

Can someone educate me on the options and advise?
zuburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Exhaust system for 1956 Thunderbird

They're in the business of selling parts.

As long as the parts fit your car (with only minor adjustment) and don't fail too soon, what you buy and put on the car is up to you. Unless you're building an "original" / judged car.

The two T-Bird catalog exhaust diagrams I've got here show the resonators after the mufflers, next to the rear axle.
Leave out the resonators if you want to. A pair of mufflers will be fine. If there's enough room toward the back of the car (probably not?) you might consider moving them there, less heat under the seat. But not near the fuel line or fuel tank, heating the gasoline causes vapor lock.

Personally I like to be able to hear the exhaust, just not to the point it annoys my nearby neighbors.
My '55 292 has a pair of stock style mufflers and they seem a bit too quiet, can't hear the exhaust very well when driving down the road. The currently disassembled '57 I have came with some older 24" glass-packs on it. The little bit I was able to drive it I think I'm going to like them better.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 08-14-2021 at 03:46 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:12 PM   #3
Gene F

I am like dmsfrr, as I like a little tone. I have a streetrod with Flowmasters, and that thing is a nusance driving down the highway. Here is what I have found. I put a new exhaust system on my 1957 Ford (with Y-black). The pipe supplier wanted to seell me their mufflers, or their upgraded mufflers. I politely declined. Of course I could tell they we not exactly happy. Then when I was sure about the sizes, I researched weather I needed them to fit inside the pipe, or outside the pipe. I am in Columbus, Ohio, so I stopped over at Jegs. They ordered what I wanted in stainless from Magna-Flow. Very good choice. Cost me a few bucks, but well worth it. Driving normally they are just a smidge above a stock muffler. As in you would never know. Now when you put your foot into it, you can definately hear that Y-block sound! I took my Dad for a ride, and demonstrated. His reaction; "wow!". Now my car is a convertible, so you do get more sound. However, the Magna-Flows were definately the right choice.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
Jim Yergin

On my '56 Thunderbird, I replaced the exhaust system with one that did not include resonators. Has pipes that run from the mufflers over the rear axle out to the bumper outlets. No need to use resonators old or new. My understanding is that the resonators were added in '56 to make the exhaust quieter. Without resonators my car has a definite louder sound that I like.
Jim Yergin
Jim Yergin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #5
zuburg

Did you source your exhaust pipes and mufflers from one of the Thunderbird specialty parts companies? If so, were the rear tail pipes turned down so not using the deflectors through the bumper?
Old 08-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #6
Patrick brophy

Well,now I am confused.

When I bought my exhaust system, I went with the stainless steel. I also went with the muffler and resonators because the car was sold that way new, but I was also told the resonators added a deeper sound to the tone of the exhaust.

It was supposed to give it a more throaty sound, hence resonate.

Was I sold a bill of goods?
Patrick brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #7
Gene F

I bought my pipes from a mom&pop shop in Michigan. Big mistake! They were wrong. And I waited a long time too. Took everything to a muffler shop and h had them install it.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:32 PM   #8
KULTULZ

Post Re: Exhaust system for 1956 Thunderbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick brophy View Post

Well,now I am confused.

When I bought my exhaust system, I went with the stainless steel. I also went with the muffler and resonators because the car was sold that way new, but I was also told the resonators added a deeper sound to the tone of the exhaust.

It was supposed to give it a more throaty sound, hence resonate.

Was I sold a bill of goods?
No, the resonator is designed to quite different exhaust tones before they reach the muffler.

Depending on the sound(s) you want to emanate will decide whether you will want resonator(s) installed.

Also be aware there are different noise ordinances in different areas.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #9
Patrick brophy

Well, I wanted it to sound like a 'THUNDERBIRD" . and I was informed that the resonators would achieve that.

I live in the great state of Alabama. We kind of frown on those kind of ordinances.
Old 08-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #10
zuburg

As you said, I read the resonators are supposed to go before the mufflers (prepare the exhaust for the muffler). However, that must be current day strategy/opinion as it is clear in the documentation and parts catalogs for the early birds that the resonators are after the mufflers. The resonators are on the front tail pipe connecting to the output of the muffler. The rear section of the tailpipe connects to the front tailpipe.

That said, has anyone replacing their exhaust without the resonators moved the muffler farther back, such as where the resonators were?

T
Old 08-14-2021, 06:29 PM   #11
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Exhaust system for 1956 Thunderbird

... hmmph ...

The mufflers are directly under the driver's seat. No wonder my butt was on fire. The resonators looked (in the MPC ILL) to be included in the outlet pipe assy. And yes, they were after the mufflers. Not a lot of space I guess.

I think I would forgo the resonators and try and fit mufflers behind the rear axle if possible, even using a transverse muffler (low restriction) if needed/possible.

You are not using the 56 BIRD tailpipe outlets? Is this a dedicated restoration or driver?

How did your brake bleeding go?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 08-14-2021, 07:37 PM   #12
zuburg

Yeah, the heat under the seats was why I was asking. I was hoping someone already found a solution. I finally got the brakes bled and I dropped it off to a shop for alignment and do a few other things that was just better on a lift.

I’m just working for a driver and trying to make it mechanically sound and safe. I’ve also priced out some new tires since the bias ply tires on it are so old they don’t even have a date code. I know I need to replace the rear section of the tail pipe and have asked my shop if the rest of the exhaust is also Swiss cheese. It’s not terribly loud, so I hope the other sections are OK. If I need to replace I will ditch the resonators and see if I can find a suitable muffler that will fit farther back. Maybe a different shaped muffler would fit?

How does one know how to spec out a muffler that would work on a V-8 and sound good?
Old 08-14-2021, 08:19 PM   #13
paul2748

You can buy an exhaust system that moves the mufflers to the back with no resonators. Don Hyde of Fordcraft (972) 423-4636 sells the system. I have one of his systems on my 56 and a friend of mine just installed one on his 56. It exits through the bumper, he may have a set that just exits out the back
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:49 PM   #14
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuburg View Post
Yeah, the heat under the seats was why I was asking. I was hoping someone already found a solution. ...
I added a pair of these heat shields to my '55 Bird. It was less trouble than replacing the existing exhaust system, if I'd found a better place for the mufflers, which I didn't.
I did have to put them on before the exhaust pipes were attached to the engine. There really isn't enough room to fit them in place otherwise. Next time I have the seat & carpet out, foil backed insulation will be added to the floor.
Not sure how much the heat shields helped, the car wasn't really driveable when I first got it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muffler heat shields c.jpg (74.9 KB, 13 views)
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:22 AM   #15
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuburg View Post

If I need to replace I will ditch the resonators and see if I can find a suitable muffler that will fit farther back. Maybe a different shaped muffler would fit?

How does one know how to spec out a muffler that would work on a V-8 and sound good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
mufflers behind the rear axle if possible, even using a transverse muffler (low restriction) if needed/possible.

You are not using the 56 BIRD tailpipe outlets? Is this a dedicated restoration or driver?
See ATTACH for photos of a transverse muffler used on MUST and other performance cars -

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 08-15-2021, 01:04 PM   #16
Patrick brophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
I added a pair of these heat shields to my '55 Bird. It was less trouble than replacing the existing exhaust system, if I'd found a better place for the mufflers, which I didn't.
I did have to put them on before the exhaust pipes were attached to the engine. There really isn't enough room to fit them in place otherwise. Next time I have the seat & carpet out, foil backed insulation will be added to the floor.
Not sure how much the heat shields helped, the car wasn't really driveable when I first got it.
Well I got bullied into an auto transmission, then power disc brakes, and then power steering. I am NOT going for the A/C system.

These heat shields look like they would prevent a lot of floor heat, and in that small car sitting over the mufflers, that could be a big deal.

I think I am going to try a set. I can put them on now, while the body is off the frame..
Thanks for the information.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:54 PM   #17
paul2748

With the body off the frame, you can make up some aluminum plates and install them on the frame above the mufflers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick brophy View Post
Well I got bullied into an auto transmission, then power disc brakes, and then power steering. I am NOT going for the A/C system.

These heat shields look like they would prevent a lot of floor heat, and in that small car sitting over the mufflers, that could be a big deal.

I think I am going to try a set. I can put them on now, while the body is off the frame..
Thanks for the information.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:46 AM   #18
KULTULZ

HEAT AND SOUND INSULATION TUTORIAL -

- https://carroar.com/sound-heat-insulation/

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 08-18-2021, 08:16 PM   #19
CSPIDY

In 57 Ford had resonators with the 312 and no resonator with the 292 fwiw,
may have been the same in 56.
I purchased an original style exhaust system from CASCO without resonators and installed the heat shields.
I like the sound, not too loud but it has a nice low yblock tone.
the heat shields improved the floor heat so I can now drive with flip flops
CSPIDY is offline   Reply With Quote