Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #41
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Which Direction for Inner Axle Seals

Found a good Ford source with all the details in one place. The only problem I see with Ford sources is that much of what you need to know is scattered between 20 years of bulletins, parts books, and the few shop manuals they cranked out, and the mechanic is expected to have kept up with all the releases as the bulletins arrived in the mail!
Anyway, Bulletin 4000, April 15, 1938. The wording is from notes in the exploded view illustrations. Coverage in this bulletin includes the 18 and the '35-up rear.

At the front..."B-4245 Grease retainer-Install with sharp edge of leather toward universal joint."

At the back..."B-4245 Grease retainer-Install with sharp edge of leather toward differential."

A few pages later, there is an illustration of axle end area on the Lincoln hypoid rear, which at its axle and hub area was the same design as '28-48 Ford. This drawing even has the B-4245 seal sectioned and nicely drawn with the sharp edge visible, pointed at the differential.

I forgot to bring in the '33 overhaul bulletin that covers the B rear (mechanically same as Model A) and the 18, but the 18 is covered again in the 1938 bulletin above.

Model A bulletin illustrates the U-joint in July 1928, with a good drawing showing sharp edge toward front, and also illustrates the rear axle seal with sharp edge toward differential. Lecture is repeated in July 1928.

Design and many parts in the U-joint area and axle end areas were the same '28-48, and the actual greas retainer used in al 3 locations was the same part throughout these years...its part number got a B prefix to replace the A prefix in 1932, but part was the same.
Ford published A rear end overhaul instructions in 1928, then thoroughly covered B and 18 versions in 1933, and recapped it all in 1938 bulletin.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #42
bill h

I think one of the problems is that most newer type seals (at least from the 60's and up have a steel oil ring on one side on the seal (towards the oil side).There is no mistaking which way the seal goes. When i did my torque tube and rear axle seals the seals had a lip on both sides even though one was larger.There is no oil ring. I had to think about it for a while and i think i installed the large lip towards the oil. Seemed to work ok but the seals to me were a little confusing. Bill
bill h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #43
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormC View Post
Well there has been some great dialogue on this topic. Thanks to all who have given their 2 cents. A wealth of knowledge as usual from you guys.

Still in a quandary as to the orientation of the seal. Am I keeping oil out or grease. Maybe I should experiment one each way?

Thanks, Norm
You are keeping out OIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #44
DavidG

I thought Mart's San Francisco photo said it all.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #45
NormC

I shall install the axle seals as Old Ford Addict has illustrated in post #36.

Thanks to all who have added to this post!

Thanks, Norm
NormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #46
moasew

Can you post this photo again please? A photo is worth a thousand words which we've seem to got in response to this question!
moasew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:33 PM   #47
jimTN

Lip goes towards the differential and towards the trans on the TT. Both seals are there to prevent oil from running out.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #48
Ronnie

If the seal has a visible spring for tension the spring goes to the wet side. Another good rule is when it is installed the part number can be visible on the dry side.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote