Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Mongo

Thumbs down Champion C-16C

Is a Champion C-16C plug too hot for a model A? I do not how too compare the heat rating with another plug.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
raprice

Default Re: Champion C-16C

I installed the Champion W-16Y plugs in my '30 coupe. They've been performing well.
Rog
raprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
2manycars

I did not know C16C plugs were still available. That is what champion sold us in the 60's and 70;s when the C4 went out. It looked a bit like a C4, but did not come apart for cleaning. I dont know the heat range, or how critical that is in a low compression flat head engine, but I know we used them for years, with no bad effects that I know of. I bet I still have a new set in the barn.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Bruce,Upstate NY

Snyder's 5.5 head, counterweighted, and bored .125. Long hill country. C16C plugs work great.
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Is a Champion C-16C plug too hot for a model A? I do not how too compare the heat rating with another plug.
I prefer the C-16C plugs over the W-16Y, that is the champion plug now available. I think that the C-16C is hotter but opinions will probably vary.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
ursus

My experience is that each iteration of the Champion replacement for the original X-3 plug is just ever so slightly cooler than the one before it. So, in terms of minimally decreasing heat range is the C-4, C16C, and C16Y. With a high compression head you won't notice the difference. Even the C-4 seemed to undergo minute changes over it long life span and the last units sold in the early 1960's were no longer two piece and not much different than the replacement C16C plugs.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:43 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

The link no longer works, but Larry had a list of plugs in order of there heat range.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
HoarseWhisperer

Hotter down to colder thread:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...rk+plug+hotter

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoarseWhisperer View Post
THANKS I had a link to the old Fordbarn I guess. I updated my link. Thanks again!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
Jim/GA

Very nice list, but the C-16C is not in there. Where does it fall? Between what and what?

I found a web site that had some technical specs, including heat range, for all currently available Champion plugs (so the C-16C is not included).

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/default.asp

Fill in the plug number in the Search box.

They cross reference the C-16C to a W16Y, but they also warn that they do not guarantee that this plug will be the same heat range, that you should use other application look-up options.

Jim
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
grudicil

Does anyone know how the AC 77L COM spark plug heat rating compares to the original Champion plugs?
grudicil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
V4F

i run w18 with no problem . i have used w20 trying to keep clean when i had 2 97's on mine . i see no problems with 16's .................. steve
Old 09-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX View Post
Very nice list, but the C-16C is not in there. Where does it fall? Between what and what?

I found a web site that had some technical specs, including heat range, for all currently available Champion plugs (so the C-16C is not included).

They cross reference the C-16C to a W16Y, but they also warn that they do not guarantee that this plug will be the same heat range, that you should use other application look-up options.

Jim
I run the W18, they are hotter than the W16 Y, just like I have said for years. The heat range for the W16 Y is 6 the heat for theW18 is 7 . I believe the technical specs chart proves me right. Thanks Jim/TX for the web site, You have made my day. This puts all bull shit in its place.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX View Post

Jim
The C-16C and the C-4 are both discontinued and are not included in the Champion web site.

For what it is worth, I once had the honor to talk spark plugs with a famous model A man, Rex Reheis (sp). The word was that the C-16C took the place of the 3X and was the same heat range. The C-4 was the original spark plug for the model B and was hotter than the 3-X or the C-16C. The W-18 took the place of the C-4 when it was discontinued and was the same heat range. The W-16 Y is colder than all of the afore mentioned plugs.

Acording to my experience with all of these plugs over the past 50 years confirms this. I believe that what the Man told me is correct.

The site doesn't give the heat range of the of the repro 3-X, that would have been interesting info. for comparison.

A performance coil of the correct OHM will improve the performance of any spark plug, as far as heat range is concerned. Purdy Swoft who likes and uses the W-18 plugs.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #15
Kurt in NJ

I like the 3X plug, originally I had the C4 (70s), 25 years ago I put in the 3X because I was going to a show, the car ran better, got better gas mileage (it was a 1000 mile away show) so I just left them in, they burn clean at 3mph in a parade, and still have no problems at 65 mph, when you spread the cost over 25 years they are cheap.

With the original side gap plug the spark is not hidden by that big ground electrode.

It seems that many people change to hotter plugs instead of fixing their mixture problems, I have several sets of 3X plugs that I got from trash cans because they were "bad", I just wash off the black fluffies and cook them clean with a 20 mile run, now they look new.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #16
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
With the original side gap plug the spark is not hidden by that big ground electrode.
The C-16C plug is also a side electrode design, like the 3X.

Jim
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #17
HoarseWhisperer

I just found four of the C-16C's in my parts inventory.

Never knew anything about them. Will have to try them out and save the 3X for special occasions.

Thanks for the info.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #18
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I run the W18, they are hotter than the W16 Y, just like I have said for years. The heat range for the W16 Y is 6 the heat for theW18 is 7 . I believe the technical specs chart proves me right. Thanks Jim/TX for the web site, You have made my day. This puts all bull shit in its place.

My experience with the W16Y has been the exact opposite and I don't consider it to be bull shit.

The Y designation means that the nose of the plug is projected to run hotter at lower RPM and this has been my experience with it. If the plug was W16 only then it would fall right in line, i.e., W18 is hotter than W16 which is hotter than W14 which is hotter than W10.

Last edited by Larry Brumfield; 09-07-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #19
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Brumfield View Post
My experience with the W16Y has been the exact opposite and I don't consider it to be bull shit.

The Y designation means that the nose of the plug is projected to run hotter at lower RPM and this has been my experience with it. If the plug was W16 only then it would fall right in line, i.e., W18 is hotter than W16 which is hotter than W14 which is hotter than W10.

The Champion heat range chart shows the W 18 to be heat range 7 the chart shows the W 16 Y to be heat range 6. There is NO W16 Champion spark plug on the chart now and the search doesn't show that there ever was one. The referance to W16 doesn't pertain. The chart speaks for how the company rates the heat range of the plugs in question. The nose of the W16 Y is indeed projected but the heat range remains at 6 and it is just the opposite of what you claim!!! The W16 Y is good if you drive at high speed for extended time, if all is good with the engine they should run OK. As for the referance to 5500 RPM, most model A driver cars will never reach that level and that is when the extended tip would be of benefit. We have discussed this before on one of our long phone conversations while I was waiting for the last Brumfield head back in 05. Actually the W 16 Y doesn't run clean at low speed and short trips with stop and go driving. This has been my experience and most model A's don't get driven at long entervals. The W18 is a hotter plug with a heat range of 7. The W18 plugs REALLY DO perform great at lower speed and with short drives, they also work good while cruiseing at 50-55 mph with the BF head. The W18 plug is better suited for the average model A because it is HOTTER and runs cleaner at low speed as any model A guy that has used them already knows.

I have nothing to gain from posting here at all. I do like talking model A and shareing my experience with model A's, what has worked for me and how I have fixed our cars. Bad or incorrect information doesn't help anybody. The Champion charts bear out what I have said!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #20
RonC

Why not just use 3X Champions on stock headed engines? How often do you need to replace them? They run good and they look better.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote