Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Lahti35

Default Running with no generator...

After doing some searching I really haven't discovered the info i'm after so i'll start a thread!

The Model T generator... whats involved with not running one? Besides blocking off the hole and keeping your battery charged every now and then... or not even even running a battery? Pros... cons?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Running with no generator...

The convenience of having a generator is why ford added one when he added the starter. If you don't have a generator you will need magneto compatable light bulbs and have a good magneto.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
redmodelt

If you need headlight, such as they are, a good battery should have plenty of juice for many hours driving. The coils will sing for quite a while on the battery.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #4
Lahti35

I got curious after I saw numerous hopped-up T engines that had replaced the generator with a water pump and/or extra magneto for spark. I'd like to run one of these extra mags, remove the genny, and provide clearance for an exhaust manifold on my upcoming speedster/go-job project.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
redmodelt

If you are thinking about using a front plate cross mounted magneto setup, they do run into some serous green. A side mount takes about the same amount of space as the generator. Typical T water pumps are on the drivers side as that is where the water connections on the radiator are.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Doug Money

I have been running since 2007 without a working generator. Mine just sits there spinning and does nothing. I charge the battery occasionally. I do run on magneto when I am driving. I do use the car a tnight sometimes.
Doug Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
CharlieB

If, as you stated, you don't mind charging a battery now & then there are no issues. I'm assuming you're trying to save weight and/or make room for some other accessory. If you have an electric starter and plan to keep using it you're better off with a full size 6 vt. batt. If you don't have a starter a smaller batt. will serve.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
southfork

I recently got a 1925 T engine that has both the generator and the starter locations/holes closed with bolted plates, and there's a lot of old grease and crud on the engine, including the plates. Figure that engine was started by hand cranking and run on magneto for a lot of years.
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
Jack Innes

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfork View Post
I recently got a 1925 T engine that has both the generator and the starter locations/holes closed with bolted plates, and there's a lot of old grease and crud on the engine, including the plates. Figure that engine was started by hand cranking and run on magneto for a lot of years.
The engine probably came that way. The starter was optional on the open cars in 1925.
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Royce P

I have three Model T's currently, and have had several others over the years. All have been pre - 1917, so none of them came with a generator or a starter. If your T runs right it will start easily with a pull or two on the crank.

I use a 12 volt batttery in each of the cars for lighting and to power the coils when cranking. I have added a battery carrier under the rear floor boards to accept a Group 24F battery. This gives me perhaps 60 hours of headlight power. Once I had a magneto coil ring fail open at the beginning of the All Ohio T Tour, and drove 400 miles on battery, running the lights every night, and never came close to running out of battery power.

Any lead acid battery lives longer if it is kept fully charged. I have had 10 years out of a battery in my 15 touring, and as little as two years for one that was in my '12 touring.

Bottom line you don't need a charging system unless all your driving is at night and your magneto is failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahti35 View Post
After doing some searching I really haven't discovered the info i'm after so i'll start a thread!

The Model T generator... whats involved with not running one? Besides blocking off the hole and keeping your battery charged every now and then... or not even even running a battery? Pros... cons?
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
Lahti35

Good news! That will allow me to lighten the load and go with the exhaust setup I want. Very rarely do I do any sort of night driving with any of my antiques so i'm not worried about that. Thanks for the info guys