Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2018, 12:23 AM   #21
Tinker

Default Re: Vapor lock Question

Blucar, there is a way to install a fuel pump also on the early fords that i'm aware of, that can effect the pump stand. The gasket should be installed first then the splash tube then the pump. If reversed, the ears of the pump will/could bend. There is a recess in the pump stand to receive the factory tub. Certainly the stand should be flat.

Another trick to increase your pump pressure is to cut a poker card in place of a factory gasket. Ace of spades is my choice.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #22
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Blucar,

Another trick to increase your pump pressure is to cut a poker card in place of a factory gasket. Ace of spades is my choice.

A very common practice when I was a teenager in the mid '50's to increase fuel pump pressure was to remove the fuel pump, cut a small round piece of leather out of a belt, insert the leather piece into the cup on the fuel pump arm and reinstall the fuel pump. Generally this trick would get several miles out of a weak pump.
Most guys always had a belt to hold their pants up, where-as only a 'card shark' would have a deck of cards in his pocket.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:34 AM   #23
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
A very common practice when I was a teenager in the mid '50's to increase fuel pump pressure was to remove the fuel pump, cut a small round piece of leather out of a belt, insert the leather piece into the cup on the fuel pump arm and reinstall the fuel pump. Generally this trick would get several miles out of a weak pump.
Most guys always had a belt to hold their pants up, where-as only a 'card shark' would have a deck of cards in his pocket.

You're dating yourself. Some where we had cards. at least for pinochle.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #24
34billct

An 1988 jeep wrangler I 6 has a fuel filter Fram Pn. G 3583 has a connection for a return line to the fuel tank to prevent (help) vapor lock and it has a mechanical fuel pump. I do not use it, I have blocked off the heat passage on both sides and drilled a 1/4 hole in the plug, It has worked well as never had vapor lock even at 10.000 ft. elev. or 100 F heat.
34billct is offline   Reply With Quote