Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Late V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Anyone bought a car over the internet?

I'm writing a magazine article about buying vintage cars through the internet. I'm looking for examples of people who have made deals via ebay, websites, etc--successes and horror stories. How about it? Any juicy stories you'd like to tell?

Dave

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Anyone bought a car over the internet?

Well I bought one.It had a number of pictures so I should have been well informed. It is a nice looking car but I have found out that photos on the internet no matter how detailed can hide many flaws.I thought I was getting a car in near show condition but realized I had a car not restored but just redone by an amateur.It is a decent driver but has no good details that I am disappointed about.And I found out one mans idea of "rust free" is another mans idea of "needs restoration". I will never buy another car I can't touch first.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

I have bought two. The first one was from a private party and the car was just as discribed. The second was from a dealer and no mention was made of the bondo that filled the doors. Of all the people that should know or recognize the cover up of rust, dealers are experts. All I can say is: Beware of dealers !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

I have bought at least 5 Fords on the internet, and sold 4 myself.I can tell you that unless you fully understand what you are looking for and have good comunacation with the seller, you can get in trouble.I myself have had only good experonce's with the deals I have made.Remember also that if you are not totally satisfied with your purchase, or if someone doesn't discribe the car the way is really is you do have recourse.Remember you are the buyer and hold the money so if the car isn't what it should be pass on it .

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Yes - I recently bought my 1954 Ford Crestline over the internet. I first saw it under the heading Classic Cars. It had some pictures and I wrote to the owner's representative. The price was fair, the car looked good. I told him I live in Austin Texas, and since the car was in Dillon Montana, that I wanted to fly out and drive it home - would it make it? He felt sure that it would. We did exactly that. We flew into Idaho Springs where he picked us up and drove us the site in Montana where the car was. I am pleased to say the car was everything he had represented. I test drove it a little then went ahead and bought it. I was concerned about the old 6 volt system and other original things, but took the chance anyway. The first night we stayed in West Yellowstone. I have a past history of heart trouble - you guessed it - here we were in the mountains - I had a heart attack. No doctors or hospitals close. I took my "nitro" pills and waited it out. (I never go without them even though I shouldn't have to after having had a by-pass and all) I came back around, but we had a long way to go and my wife had to drive. She wasn't to sure about the threespeed on the tree and how the overdrive worked, but I coached her and off we went. After getting through Yellowstone and then the great teetons it was very bare and desolate. She was pushing the old thing 70 plus most of the time. About 50 miles outside Laramie it died. (the car that is)I looked at it and dicovered the fuel line to the fuel pump was cracked and leaking. My wife sad "Just Duck Tape it". I laughed and said the gas would just eat the tape. She said "Got any better ideas?" So I wrapped the s -- out of it. We had to push it to get it started, but then we were off again. Got to Laramie and went to NAPA got a coule fittings and made a new hose (Can't just buy a hose for a 54 Ford). Left Laramie and headed home record time at great speeds. I had another sugery afterwards. So yes you can buy a great car on the Internet - I did. I would do it again.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

Yes, in fact, and just recently. Overall,

I'm happy with my purchase, but I'm forced

to admit that there is a lot of possibility

for dishonesty. Once you've purchased a car

and paid to have it shipped to you, there's

little chance you'll get your money back

from the seller if you aren't happy. Even

if you do, you'll be responsible for the

shipping costs, which can easily be a couple

of grand in some cases.

One suggestion I could make would be to hire

somebody to look at the car for you - a garage or body shop, for example, is usually happy to do an inspection of a car for a nominal fee. If it costs you a hundred bucks, it's money well-spent. You could have the mechanic or body tech even look at the car on-site, with the seller's permission.

If what your guy tells you jibes with what

the seller's telling you, so much the better.

If not, well, it's still possible the seller

was honestly unaware of a 'hidden' problem.

For instance, big Ford cars of the sixties

have problems with their frames here in the

salt belt. Some folks never look under their

cars and unless somebody tells them or the

thing breaks in half, they are blissfully

unaware.

If the seller was honestly unaware of the

problem, AND you are still interested in

the car, it might be possible to secure a

lower price, in which case you can look at

the money you spent for the inspection as

an investment that netted a decent return.

In my case, I didn't feel the need for a

third party inspection because the seller

was quite frank and forthcoming about the

vehicle I was looking at, even in the initial descr1ptions. I asked some very specific questions and I received very honest, though not necessarily pretty, answers. For instance, he told me the car ran, though he admitted he'd only driven it around the block. When it arrived, it turned out the engine was worn out, but to be perfectly honest, I was sort of expecting that anyway. He also sent along several close-up pictures so I could see the car's condition, even though the pictures plainly showed the interior was pretty rough.

To sum it up, don't forget your common sense,

and don't be afraid to get a third party

involved. Be ready to ask very specific

questions and look for detailed answers.

If he's willing to show photos of the car,

it's a good sign, though I wouldn't base

my decision entirely on that.