Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
DennisR

Default Keys

I`m having a problem getting spare keys. I`ve had a look thru previous posts and I realise that as my ignition key says made in Spain then I can assume that so is my lock, it works fine, but after reading the posts I have reservations about keeping it but I would like to retain the originality. I went to a local locksmith who spent sometime trying to duplicate it but to no avail.
I also have bought a pair of keys for the door and rumble, universal key blanks I think they came from Snyder`s, and he couldn`t do anything with them as they were different from mine. The locks and handles look original, the keys have Auto City Products Co. on them.
I`ve attached a pic of all three, can anyone shed any light on what I have ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keys.jpg (39.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 04-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Keys

Contact Allen at A & L parts. He will help you out for sure. Great people to deal with. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
CarlG

Last week my friend who has a 29 Tudor with a "Made in Spain" popout had a key made at the local True Value Hardware store.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

I lost Minervas' ignition key, had a funny old padlock key, if I wiggled it "just right"-It would work!
Folks LAFFED at my Briggs & Stratton key, they thought it wuz for my Mowlawner!
Bill Trick
Old 04-13-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Bill Trick
Bill, My '30 Town Sedan has a Briggs & Stratton also. The spare ignition key I got with the car sez "For American Motors".
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
Phil Brown

Needed one for the truck a few months ago and asked the older guy behind the counter at Lowes, took a few min. of searching but he found the right blank and cut the key for me.When he handed it to me he asked "what's it for,an old Ford ?"
I don't think that he was new to keys
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Dennis,

If you contact this well experienced expert Model A locksmith gentleman, Mr. Crabtree:

[email protected]

(Phone Number can be found under Search)

he can no doubt render professional locksmith advice that will assist you in making your next key decision.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #8
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I lost Minervas' ignition key, had a funny old padlock key, if I wiggled it "just right"-It would work!
Bill Trick
Great anti theft Device :-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #9
700rpm

Referring to the judging standards, none of your keys seem to match originals. The top two appear to have the wider groove on the wrong side, or, though close to original lock keys, are cut on the wrong edge. The ones shown in Snyder's catalog that have a similar round head should fit your door and rumble locks, if the locks are original, and if you have keys that work now; your locksmith should be able to cut the repro blanks from the originals.

I don't think you will find a key blank that matches your Spanish ignition, which is the key shown on the bottom of your picture. If you want an original ignition lock and cable, contact Dick Crabtree, who is listed at the top of this forum in the Can you Add to This List stickie.

Disclaimer: I am no expert on this. These are just my observations from limited experience and reading the RG & JS.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 04-13-2016 at 07:46 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:52 AM   #10
DennisR

Thanks for the replies, I will contact Mr. Crabtree and see what he says. The door keys both work fine, I would just like a couple of spares, my locksmith did cut me a key and said to try it but it didn`t work.
Bearing in mind the previous posts about the subject I think I will have to consider new locks, the ignition will need further consideration, whatever the cost I need to add customs etc., I`ve been feeding them well lately, still what else is a hobby for........................................
Old 04-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

why consider new locks? A waste of time and dollars. Wayne
Old 04-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #12
John

I can't help with the Spanish ignition key but the LL162 and LL178 shown, used in the later reproduction door handles, are cut on a Y11 key blank available from just about any locksmith shop.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #13
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisR View Post
I`m having a problem getting spare keys. I`ve had a look thru previous posts and I realise that as my ignition key says made in Spain then I can assume that so is my lock, it works fine, but after reading the posts I have reservations about keeping it but I would like to retain the originality. I went to a local locksmith who spent sometime trying to duplicate it but to no avail.
I also have bought a pair of keys for the door and rumble, universal key blanks I think they came from Snyder`s, and he couldn`t do anything with them as they were different from mine. The locks and handles look original, the keys have Auto City Products Co. on them.
I`ve attached a pic of all three, can anyone shed any light on what I have ?
Try another locksmith. I have never beaten mine, no matter the lock or key. But he knows his trade, not just the blanks on the rack.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #14
mleder

As a 16 year old kid in 1972 owning a Model A and working in a Target store in a kiosk owned by the Cole National key company I cut my own duplicate for the Made in Spain key. I have it today as well as the now not functioning repo cable. The key is cut on a Taylor lock blank # 072a. It took a little work but it functions. Some one who has a little bit of a tinkerer in them can do it. I don't think a 16 year old kid today who only wants to play video games would be able to help you.
mleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:32 AM   #15
DennisR

I will try another locksmith just in case but the one I use at the moment has been at it a very long time. I`ll give him the numbers but I doubt they will mean anything over here.
Appreciate all the input but it`s not going to be a show car, I just want to drive and enjoy it, reliability is more important, I`m leaning more and more to getting an imitation pop-out and have done with it, a new set of locks and get on with finishing it.
After all the work and money that`s gone/going into it the last thing I want is a fire.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:45 AM   #16
C26Pinelake
BANNED

After all the great advice you received and you are gong to replace locks and ignition I must say I am truly surprised. Wayne
Old 04-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

I knew an OLD Locksmith who was a GENIUS! He'd grip a key blank with Vise Grips, put pressure on the key, in the lock, "read" the marks on the key, file on it, REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT & presto! He was in the car!
Bill W.