Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
G&N Farms

Default license plate debate???

I found a 1930 license plate at an antique store. It is NOT premo but in OK shape. I'll try to post a picture if I can.

Do I repaint it to a nice new look or do I run it in its original glory ? The truck is not museum quality but very nice. The plate was not expensive and in Mo you need two to make it work so it's just for show.

Off the subject: Everything is legal and I have sent off for historical tags. How much trouble will I get in to if I only run the 1930 tag out back ? ( with out the new ones) Not me of course but I know a 57 that only has a rear tag and has gotten away with it for two years. Just asking...
G&N Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
V4F

Default Re: license plate debate???

I don't run a front plate , never been asked . I have one but run a "POW/MIA" plate in front .
Old 06-30-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
BlueSunoco

G&N, I suppose it depends on the policeman who sees you drive by. Same in Illinois: law says you have to run two plates but I see quite a few w/ no front plate anymore they have other stuff like the POW/MIA plate, VietNam Vet, etc. running around.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
Russell in Tulsa

I have to buy a special permit to display a YOM plate which I did like 7 or 8 years ago. Oklahoma only requires one tag but we have to buy a current tag and have it in the vehicle. The permit I believe is for one year and I haven't kept it current but still display the '30 tag. I don't know if I have been lucky or stupid but will keep as is until told otherwise.
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #5
Bruce Adams

If by your "KC" location you mean Kansas City, Kansas, here is the Kansas DMV rules on plates for antique cars. You should also talk with club members about your DMV's requirements and such.
http://www.dmv.org/ks-kansas/special...Vehicle-Plates
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #6
pat59

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
or if ya get pulled over cuz of it, tell the officer someone stole it. or it fell off.
-Pat
pat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #7
al's28/33

In California the "law" dictates DMV registered plates front and back......however I have a YOM 1928 plate on my radiator and the modern DMV plate on the rear......had it now 14 years never been pulled over yet but depends on if any Koppers feel like pulling me over. It's a "fix it" ticket if and when it happens.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:46 PM   #8
G&N Farms

I'm in Missouri. The Historical plates here are the same as regular car tags and I don't think it matches the intent of the truck. I looked up our YOM tag info and it says to e-mail them the tag number and any other added questions. If it's accepted, it's only 15 dollars more for a one time shot. I will let you all know what happens.

I think I'm going to paint the plate to original colors.

Thanks and yes the 57 has the front tag under the seat. There is no place to mount it without drilling into the front bumper.
G&N Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:08 PM   #9
Henry1953

In MS we can pay $25 and get an antique car permanent plate for the rear of the car. It's a one time fee on any car more than 25 years old. I plan on putting an original 1930 MS plate on the radiator.
Henry1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:55 AM   #10
Charlville

Got to have two plates here in Blighty, the good thing is that if you register an old car you get a number from the year of manufacture stated on the title from the country of export. In my case I've ended up with the number as per the picture. Not right for my part of the country, but correct for the year. By the letter of the law the layout of the plate is a little illegal but the Old Bill tend to leave the old cars alone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p6140017.jpg (65.8 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Charlville; 07-01-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:53 AM   #11
springerpete

In Maine YOM plates are legal to put on your car providing you register the car as an antique each year and keep the Maine antique plates in your car. I also carry a photocopy of the law that says it is OK to show YOM as some police are not familiar. I have YOM plates on front and rear but many only show one on the rear.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:36 AM   #12
barkleydave

Each state is different. KY Only rear plate required. Antique plate you can display YOM plate and keep current Antique plate with papers in vehicle.

As a retired Police Officer I never could understand why some folks refused to display their front plate. Cool Factor.. (is required in IL) Now this is not so much for antique plates which is another issue in IL. I kept telling people that if they decide not to display a front plate they now have provided Probable Cause to stop them anytime a police officer wants to. DAH!

BTW the lost or fell off excuse never works
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #13
leo

Will someone of influence please get New Jersey on board with YOM plates. The DMV always seems to be in the dark ages here!
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #14
green50

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Will someone of influence please get New Jersey on board with YOM plates. The DMV always seems to be in the dark ages here!
I feel for you...That's just one of the reasons that I left NJ.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #15
mshmodela

http://www.tagdr.com/samples

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:02 AM   #16
monto

You are in Missouri. Everyone else here, including myself, are not. If you're not sure about what to, or not, to do, my suggestion is to go into the motor vehicle law section in the State of Missouri website. You'll find a section specific to 'classic', 'vintage', 'antique' vehicles or whatever they call it. In that section will be every last detail -- misc. requirements; inspections; title; age of vehicle; restrictions; etc., etc. pertinent to your state. Good Luck !!

Re: Barkleydave, "BTW the lost or fell off excuse never works", DITTO
monto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #17
Sparky

I have a couple of year-of-issue plates that had a lot of fading and surface rust so I decided to repaint them. It's really up to you and the look you want to achieve.

I live in a two-plate state, and antiques have their own special modern plate; historical plates are not legal. That being said, I use a year-of-issue plate on the front and the official plate in back. I carry the official real front plate in my trunk in case anyone questions it, but so far no one has.

Just a couple of weeks ago I had to stop on the side of the highway to fix a minor carburetor problem. While I was working a state trooper stopped and asked if I needed any help or a tow. I declined, but he stayed to check out my car while I was working on it. Looking around the front, he asked if the plate was an original. I said yes, an he commented on how nice it looked! It didn't even occur to me until later that he could have cited me for a plate violation, but apparently drivers of antiques get a pass!
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #18
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell in Tulsa View Post
I have to buy a special permit to display a YOM plate which I did like 7 or 8 years ago. Oklahoma only requires one tag but we have to buy a current tag and have it in the vehicle. The permit I believe is for one year and I haven't kept it current but still display the '30 tag. I don't know if I have been lucky or stupid but will keep as is until told otherwise.
Here in Okie-Homa you have to keep BOTH tags current.
I would advise you get it done ASAP.
Would be cheaper than the ticket.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #19
1931 flamingo

I'm running a plate from the "Islands" on the front and unrestored orig 1931 on the back (done legally).
I think cops today have too many other things going on than to worry if an 80+ yr old car has the right plate on it. JMO
Paul in CT Make sure you've got ins card with you
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:16 PM   #20
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
It didn't even occur to me until later that he could have cited me for a plate violation, but apparently drivers of antiques get a pass!
Here in Alberta all vehicles need only to wear a rear plate. Antique vehicles can get a 'permanent' plate that reduces the cost of running several old cars. I run a 1928 Saskatchewan plate up front as the car came from Saskatoon.

And yes, drivers of antiques do seem to get a break, I went past a police car at about 15mph over the limit the other day and all I got was a wave!
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote