Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
700rpm

Default What makes a club successful?

I have the honor of being president of our local chapter of MAFCA this year. I have a great bunch of people on my board, and there are about 275 in our general membership. We have a very active women's group, and are working on bringing more youth into the fold.

We have some ideas to make the club more inclusive, welcoming, and fun, but there is a wealth of experience here on the board, and I would very much appreciate hearing from you on what has made your club a fine organization to belong to. I don't want this to turn into a pssing contest, but it would also be helpful to hear as well what you don't like about your club.

So, please help me out: What can you suggest we can do (or avoid doing) to improve our club?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
P.S.

Default Re: What makes a club successful?

No club can be everything to everyone, so it makes sense that a successful club would be one that puts a priority on activities that a majority of the members enjoy.

You see clubs disintegrate when they try to serve the niche desires of the minorities.

As for a Model A club, it also makes sense to focus on the cars themselves and give less effort to the sub-cultures or interests. Let small groups within the club run their fashion shows, etc. and keep the main focus of the club on the cars. Suggestion- have (at least) monthly tech gatherings where members work on the cars. Maybe even more frequent if the participation stays high.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
Roadster62

At one time the local HCCA Region was really active and the Fall Meet in September with the 1942 cutoff date pulled in 250+ vehicles. This was really a great time in the 1970's, but people moved away or passed on. The town upgraded the Soccer field and banned car use on it, that killed the club, and I was burned out by then, so local club membership is just a fond memory. The Hershey Meet is the only event I think about now. Bob
Old 01-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Ray,

FWIW, humble opinion:

1. The second phrase of your last sentence in your first paragraph just about says it "all".

2. Encourage a Club Birth Rate that outnumbers the Club Death Rate.

3. Mr. Putin delicately expressed this major Russian concern in today's internet news. First time accomplished in the past 20 years for Russia.

4. This one philosophy has been a determining factor of ongoing human success & accomplishment dating back to & before the ancient tribes of Israel.

5. Even though it may sound easy, the difficult part of this solution to be discussed is perhaps not "what" to do but "how" to do this.

6. Some may have suggestions; however, anyway as a start, my wife & I took my oldest son & our 2 year old granddaughter for their first long Model A drive yesterday to a distant restaurant ........................ with noticeable LED turn signals.

7. I asked him to pay attention on the way going, in daylight, how I reve up the engine, smoothly slip into neutral, & smoothly slip into the next higher gear without the often used double knee jerking technique of double clutching mentioned so often.

8. Coming back, I let him drive home in the dark, averaged 55 mph on straight roads, then went through dense traffic & never heard a gear grind.

9. Had to tell him I saw my 60 year old mother drive my Model A this same way years ago with no double clutching & no gear grinding & when I asked her where did she learn how to shift like that, she simply responded that is how they always shifted Model A's.

10. My son was glad to hear he was a "natural" Model A shifter & driver on his first outing whereby he thoroughly enjoyed driving on this trip.

11. Just had to mention though. The Food at the restaurant was not all that great; but the Model A drive made up for our fun.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-19-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
newshirt

I think passion sells. A passionate leadership that "lives for the hobby" rubs off on the membership. People witness your passion and want to emulate. If you can't keep shut about that awesome tour you recent did, the members will want to tour. If you live to learn and explore the Model A in all it's original detail, members will also. If you invite members over to see your awesome collections, they will start collecting. And the club begins to coalesce around those things you are so passionate about.

I've also felt that you must clearly articulate your vision so people know what to follow. Get on a soapbox from time to time! Why does this club exist? What are we trying to accomplish? Is this just coffee and danish time? Or do we have a real mission that really matters? Organizations without a real mission, or cannot clearly articulate the vision, die a slow death of attrition.

Sadly, the Model A is rarely mentioned in our meetings. There are no technical overviews. No discussions of original parts and their evolution through the Model A years. No 'how to fix your XYZ' seminars. I suspect that comes from the leadership, some of whom don't even own Model A's.

Last edited by newshirt; 01-19-2014 at 03:24 PM.
newshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Russ/40

From my experience with the Early Ford V8 Club, it went to pots when those with the big bucks dominated the leadership. What was a club for preservation, became Early Fords with Chevy v8s, air conditioning, overdrives and every amenity you can put in a big buck car. Comfort became too important.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
Art Bjornestad

I have belonged to many car clubs, the very best ones include ladies in club activities. Monthly dinners, bunco nights, tours to places that the gals like and letting them in deciding where to eat and where to tour to.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
28ACoupe

Over the years, I have been a part of a bunch of different clubs. Elks, MAFCA, SCA, Computer Clubs, and so on.

In my opinion, nothing kills a club's mojo faster than allowing modern political crap or Drama into the group. These things will show up, but it is up to the leadership to watch for it and deal with it swiftly and appropriately when it does.

I think the very best way to keep the mojo high is as others have mentioned above, keep it all about the fun. Encourage people working together on their projects and helping each other out.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
At one time the local HCCA Region was really active and the Fall Meet in September with the 1942 cutoff date pulled in 250+ vehicles. This was really a great time in the 1970's, but people moved away or passed on. The town upgraded the Soccer field and banned car use on it, that killed the club, and I was burned out by then, so local club membership is just a fond memory. The Hershey Meet is the only event I think about now. Bob
Bob,it was the best show in the area back then,attended many times and found many parts for my 36 coupe there. Too bad its no more. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
V4F

In my opinion, nothing kills a club's mojo faster than allowing modern political crap or Drama into the group.
that happened to our "A" club over the last election ! stupid . politics / religion will kill it .
food is what most seniors want to do !
Old 01-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #11
Ford46

From what I read in your post it seems you have a "sucessful" club, the enthusiam that seems to abound will keep it that way. To keep all that; remember to keep the entire family involved, women and children. The kids will bring friends which introduces others to the hobby. Keep the women involved, if mama's happy... everyone is happy! Try new things, as your club is considering another possibility is to introduce the internet into meeting with "how to" segments from "you tube" or other sources. Most of all have tours with families in mind, everyone likes a nice drive and an interesting place and an ice cream stop.

Just enjoy each other and the Model A's, I think your club has already found the secret......LouB.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Roadster62

The Ridgefield Meet was an early lifetime changing event for me. How many 10 year olds would have their Mom drop them off at a car show by themselves to spend the day in heaven? Those were great days, great cars and people. Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
Bob,it was the best show in the area back then,attended many times and found many parts for my 36 coupe there. Too bad its no more. ken ct.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
Gunmetal blue2

I'm speaking for myself, when I was a member of a club in the 70's I was 15 couldn't drive. So to get to meeting I had to pay someone to get me there and home. No one in the club was willing to pick me up. Not even the one's that lived 3 miles away from me. Then I would get to meetings nobody would talk to the young punk {me}, so when I ask questions about my Model A no one beleived that I had one. And my first Model A was a basket case. The only place I felt like some one cared was when I would go to swap meets. There the ones that helped me answer my questions. I quit that club and have never be a member of any club sence. My thought of a good club is.
1: Have time to help the people that need help.
2: Have meetings that you all just talk about all the not so smart thing you have done with you care.
3: Have a show and tell with different people on Model A parts.
4: Like the rest have sad make it fun and the people will come. Don't let the Hot Rod people run over your club.
5: Keep track of Model A's for sale and parts that are for sale for the members that don't know were or how to get the parts they need.
My 2 cents
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #14
Pete

Interview all people applying for membership or have them fill out a questionnaire.
You need to attract people that are interested in stock or reasonably stock model A's ONLY and have a history of staying with clubs they join for long periods of time.

You do not want social climbers. Eventually they will attract their friends and when they are in the majority, it will become a social club only.

You do not want prestige seekers. ie,People that have a history of joining clubs with the goal of eventually becoming president for the sake of the prestige.

You do not want people interested in high performance and modified model A's or racing. They will attract others of their kind and eventually you will have the people you want bitching at the racers and much internal strife develops.

People in these 3 groups are usually easy to identify in an interview or questionnaire by the fact they usually haven't stayed in any club or group after they have achieved their personal level of incompetence. In other words, "been there done that got a drawer full of T shirts".

While these types are usually welcomed while they are there, they quite often only last a few years and move on, not doing the club any long term good.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:09 AM   #15
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
No club can be everything to everyone, so it makes sense that a successful club would be one that puts a priority on activities that a majority of the members enjoy.

You see clubs disintegrate when they try to serve the niche desires of the minorities.

As for a Model A club, it also makes sense to focus on the cars themselves and give less effort to the sub-cultures or interests. Let small groups within the club run their fashion shows, etc. and keep the main focus of the club on the cars. Suggestion- have (at least) monthly tech gatherings where members work on the cars. Maybe even more frequent if the participation stays high.
Well said ! The 'club' meetings that I attended, to see if would join, seemed focused on a lot of socializing/eating and fashion. All well and good...BUT, I wondered where the cars came in ! The one club that I found that I would have joined...I found that I couldn't afford ! But, they did get heavily into the car/mechanical aspect of the 'hobby', and I thot that a lot could be learned about Model As.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:10 AM   #16
silversink

I belong to 2 clubs in our area, 1- I'm President, the other I'm the new guy. I know all in the clubs due to participation in cruises and car show. The Presidency was dropped in my lap which at the time I didn't want, but after seeing the club falling on its nose I thought I maybe could help save it by example , which has helped a bunch.
Both clubs have in the bylaws that all that was required was an interest in cars, we have everything from 10 sec. drag cars the stock A s and Hudson's, to Volkswagens. Our age range from the old fart(myself) which everyone calls me gramps to the youngest who is 14. As Pres. I make sure there are events we all can do from coffee on Sat. mornings at the local Wal-Mart parking lot, which turns into a mini car show to dinners and meetings at different members garages to help with their projects or just hang out and enjoy each others company.
The 2 clubs are as different as night and day as to membership. The 1 that I'm the new guy has the membership ages in the 50-60 range and they enjoy putting on shows and helping the community along with the love of cars. Neither one allows uncomfortable religion or politics at the meetings although several attend church together and a couple are diehard Rep.s and Dem.s.
I tried a club that was focused on one aspect of the car hobby and found it was almost a competition to see who could out do each other or focused on what amount of money they had in their vehicles, I'm not saying all are like that, but that was my experience.
I myself have a hot-rodded truck along with a Model A I'm restoring. The young guys in the clubs can only afford what their pocketbooks will allow as all of us have been in the same situation ,so I open my shop to all that want to use it and teach all I know to anyone interested in learning.
I think an successful club membership has to be comfortable with all in the club to a point. We have our problems But in 1 club I'm able to help through leadership these different people to become close enough to instill the feeling we all help each other thru personal and Mechanical problems.
If you don't feel comfortable with the membership than maybe a club isn't where you belong.
Participation in the club and events and having ever one involved in projects and show as a group is one of the most important the goals of both clubs and I enjoy all involved.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #17
Wallace

Thanks to 700rpm for this great thread, There are many forces coming together to hurt this hobby. I live by our town's high school. On the parking lot there is not one vehicle that shows owner interest. Yes, there may be some "mudder" trucks and a number of econo boxes....but no vehicles that have been waxed until the buffed primer is showing through on the cuvered surfaces like the 50 Fords and Chevys in my day. Our club shows that as the average club age increases.....BUT if a group of 30 year old kids took over, I would be the first to cuss and say,"We tried all your ideas and they didn't work...let's have a monthly ice-cream social."
Seriously, we have to broaden our base in our average size club...and take aggressive action to support the community along with our hobby.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #18
turnpikecrusier

Food Family Fun
Take the whole family, kids mom brother sister, have food either at a diner picnic cookout something. The car guys will gather together and talk but everyone will have fun. The club will grow. Young people will take interest in model a's if you show then how fun they are to have, they aren't something you have to always work on.
turnpikecrusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #19
TonyM

I joined a few car clubs in the past few years. I really wish that some chapters of these clubs would concentrate on the CARS-- their maintenance, repair and restoration. I am really not interested in Bingo, Drive outs to the candy factory and similar non-car activities. One chapter gets on me because I stopped going to the meetings. I stopped going because they don't talk about the cars, they talk about everything else but the cars. Just a social club.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #20
Fordors

Whether it is model A's, Tri-Chevys or hot rods a good club will need participation. The club I was in (since disbanded) put on a yearly one day show. It was always held in a local venue so that all members could be there and everyone was expected to help out in some fashion. All proceeds from the event went to a charity donation, but we did collect monthly dues which went for postage, printing of show flyers, etc., or most importantly subsidize the annual party. Some groups get by just fine with no dues assessment.
Getting officers for the organization can be difficult. It takes dedication and work and hopefully someone who will stand for all the members and not just their own agenda. It seemed with our group there was that certain cell of folks who served over and over again, but hey, isn't that just like the every day world?
Rules and regulations? Why? If one owns a car that fits the theme of the organization, or the intent to purchase one that's enough for me. Of course it goes without saying that proper behavior is expected at all times.
As Tony mentions above, cars are important. It is a car club, right? Some of my best times with the group were garage tours, i.e.= who is doing what in their hobby shop, or what new technique did they master, or maybe someone just needs a hand. Winter time was always great for maybe a museum visit, or going to a swap with some of the guys, and yes, even a night out at some restaurant with the wives/girlfriends. Just like in life you will gravitate toward certain individuals and hang with them the most.
So, active participation, focus on cars, minimal dues (if even necessary), few rules and include the ladies and kids too.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote