Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default A different delco for a Ford ????

As you know i cant stay up with the demand for the delco conversion to take the place of the load a matic unit.
I stay behind all the time and build as many as i can each week.
There has been some discussion on the forum in the last few weeks about just NOT wanting to have any chevy parts on our flathead period.

Well i had a couple customers that just wore me out wanting something with a different look!!! They both sent me the early cast iron delcos to machine .

My machine shop guy actually broke some tooling doing these but they came out looking really nice !

Painted black with a no window cap it will look pretty close to the Ford Load a Matic unit. What ya think???????

And either red or black cap...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2402.jpg (65.2 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2403.jpg (49.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2401.jpg (91.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2400.jpg (64.6 KB, 122 views)
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
Fordestes

Default Re: A different delco for a Ford ????

Looks good as always, I found some cast iron cores , they want almost a hundred bucks for just a buildable core, I will stay with the aluminums myself ,after all the spark don't know any difference. lol, nice idea though, are the early tri 5 dist.s worth trying to modify? the ones with the shorter caps and two hold down clamps ?
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
Looks good as always, I found some cast iron cores , they want almost a hundred bucks for just a buildable core, I will stay with the aluminums myself ,after all the spark don't know any difference. lol, nice idea though, are the early tri 5 dist.s worth trying to modify? the ones with the shorter caps and two hold down clamps ?
The 55-56 is cast iron is a special distributor with a oil control flat machined on the bottom section. I have some of those but would save for that perfect 265 in a primo 55-56. Actually i built one last week. The 57-58 would work with the clip on cap.......
Sometimes its all about "the look"??? But they all look the same at 30mph,,,,
Old 02-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
Fordestes

That is good to know , I guess I will just throw them back for another day, I remember the oiling issue , If I remember pop used to do something to the cam bearing oiling system, I don't remember just what it was ,I would think so he could use a different dist. The 409 had something in particular that was different too I am thinking. Mabe you can enlighten me on that as well.
appreciate all you have done for us here on the barn.

fordestes
Old 02-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
alanwoodieman

Fordestes--us old timers before flatheads would grind a slot in the rear cam bearing journal so the lifters would get plenty of oil--hopped up 265/283 with duntov 30/30 cam dual exhaust== almost sounds like a flatty!
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #6
Fordestes

Allenwoodieman, Thanks for the refresher , I remember your right as rain ,I remembered something like that but didn't remember what it was he done, I also remember his Jetting some of the small blocks at the lifter gallery and using solid noisy lifters , This must have been before anti-pump up lifters, he said it was to keep more pressure to the low end. I am wondering if it would be beneficial to drill a small hole in the front of an 8 BA oil rail plug to aid in oiling the timing gears and making the aluminum gears run quieter? I remember the old military jeeps used an outside oil line to the timing gears.
Just curious?
Old 02-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
Fordestes

Also allan woodieman, I still love the sound of a 30/30 Duntov, I was talking to my bro. a while back
about finding someone to grind him one for his 57.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
Fordestes

Bubba, can you tell us what year these dist .were form, I have some with an aluminum band around the housing with numbers on it, looks kinda like the one you have shown. are they 58 to early 60's? ? Just want to know what I have.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #9
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
Bubba, can you tell us what year these dist .were form, I have some with an aluminum band around the housing with numbers on it, looks kinda like the one you have shown. are they 58 to early 60's? ? Just want to know what I have.
I need to look at some cores to tell ya the dates as they had clip on caps then went to the window cap . I dont know the exact year i will need to look. By the way if you have the delco number just put that number in Google with the word distributor behind it and they will tell you what it fits..