Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
Pilotdave

Default Would you use this brake rod? New Pix

I spent an hour or so today removing and replacing all four rear wheel brake rods and installing anti-rattlers all of which had been missing from the car.

Tonight I decided to clean up several of the old rods as they looked straight and showed no wear at the pin holes. I thought they might be reused for the front. Upon closer inspection both service brake rods appear to have been welded, each at a point about 4-5 inches from the end attaching to the brake pull lever. You can see what appears to be an irregularity in the rod at that point. Looking closely, I can see what looks like a distinct joint. Perhaps I am incorrect, but that's what I am seeing. Interestingly, both rods show the same joint in the same spot, so perhaps they were manufactured that way.

I'm thinking that perhaps using these rods is not such a good idea, but I'd be interested in input from Barners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1374_051411_560.jpg (32.0 KB, 354 views)

Last edited by Pilotdave; 05-15-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Gerard

Default Re: Would you use this brake rod?

I would discard this rod soonest if I were you.

Just my two cents
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Tough call I can't see the rod close enough, but something looks amiss with it in that spot. If you can't find usable original rods locally, then give Bert's in Denver a call. That's where I had to go to find my 4 original non-adjustable rods for my 28.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
quickchange

NO , Maynot be safe, Certainly not allowed down under. There should be no joins.
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
kyle paul

is your life possible wort a brake rod . thats the only question id ask myself
kyle paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:30 AM   #6
bobgreco

I just got done cleaning my rods up Friday and they do not have any joints like in the picture. I would not use them if it were on my truck.
bobgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

OK but let's play Devil's Advocate. While I am like Tom in that I cannot see it close enough to speculate, let's assume it was the last one on the planet. What would it take to make it safe and sound? Please don't just think that because it would be a welded joint that it would be unsafe. While it may be beyond the safe capabilities of restoration by some "restorers", usually we all know someone who has the effective means & ability to weld this. Sometimes this is someone we must pay but often times it is someone we know who we can trade favors for. The reason I say this is because I feel like the art of "Restoration" by the Model A hobbyists is succumbing to becoming "Parts Replacers". I challenge us all to look for ways that we each can safely "Rebuild" and/or "Restore" rather than just "Replace". With that said, here is how I would go about repairing it.

I would check for the proper overall length to start with. Then using a 2' long piece of 2" angle iron, in the center I would cut a 'Vee-shaped' notch where the two sides of the angle iron intersect thus making a "window". Next, take the brake rod and grind each end that will be joined as if one were sharpening a pencil. Now lay the two rods with the points facing each other and securely clamp them into the 'Vee' cradle of the angle iron where the two pointed ends are viewable from the window that was notched into the angle iron. This window will seemingly allow welding access on both sides of the rod while it is securely clamped into the angle iron. Once it has cooled, remove it and inspect the weld. Dress the weld by spinning in a lathe, --or lightly install the threaded end inside a small hand drill motor and spin while you hand file or grind the weld. If need be, reinstall the rod into your angle iron fixture and make additional welds in all of the voids until when it is metalfinished smooth, it shows no signs of ever being repaired. If someone is careful in their execution, ....is adequate in their welding skills, and takes the time to make the repair totally undetectable by metalfinishing the entire area, this repair should last a long time and be safe for the driver and occupants.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
Pilotdave

Interesting range of responses. I was and still am planning to replace these with forged replacements from one of the parts emporiums that I use. That said:
  1. It's clear that SOMETHING was done with these rods - probably a weld but what is not known is how well the job was done. The line of the rod is interrupted at that point on both rods. It appears to me that two parts were welded together, but I can't tell for sure nor, if so, how it was done.
  2. The previous owner trusted his life to those rods, but maybe he didn't know how they were made. Or perhaps he did and knew that the work was done properly. I won't since good quality replacement rods are available and I have no idea how the work was done.
  3. Cost should not be a factor against replacement - these are neither rare nor expensive parts.
  4. If I had to repair rods, Brent's approach sounds quite reasonable. It's a question of how far one goes to preserve a piece that likely isn't original. Over the years I've gone to fairly long lengths to repair an antique tractor part that I could have replaced - as he indicates, this is a question of skills and willingness to undertake the work.
  5. No one has identified this type of rod construction as common or known to them....that was one thing in which I was interested.

I was more than a tad surprised to find these rods in the car. But perhaps I should not have been. The key lesson for me is this: we've had the car for only 7 months - it's a confirmation that going through safety-related aspects of a new-to-me car is a sound practice!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
ford1

Brent is a very highly skilled Model A restorer and his opinion is highly regarded and i very seldom disagree with any of his posts, his posts come from much experience, but this is one time a dont agree with him, i would never weld on any brake part, just like i wouldnt weld on a front spindle, this post by me is in no way meant to have any disrespect for Brent, its just a difference of opinion
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Big D

SOME things I enjoy rebuilding and even taking longer than it would ever take to replace... BUT STOPPING is not one of those areas.. replace and enjoy knowing it stops. Brake rods are too easy and cheap to replace.

As with others... just my two cents.. OK 2.5 cents.. D
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
FL&WVMIKE

It is not a good idea to have any welded brake or steering compants. It is not allowed in racing at all.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
JoeWay

I can't see it clearly enough to be sure, but it looks to me like a friction weld.

If so, it was almost certainly done by a repop manufacturer and is probably safe. There's no way to be sure, though, so I think that I would replace them with good used parts from Bert's as Tom says, or with new repop parts from a known source.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
Pilotdave

I took some more pictures that show the joint more clearly. Unfortunately, uploads thereof are failing! Will provide them as soon as I can figure out how to get them uploaded!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
Benson

Try a darker background in photos so dark part will not be under exposed.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
Pilotdave

Default Re: Would you use this brake rod? New Pix

Okay! Sorted out the picture uploading business - files were too large. I hope this shots will provide better data.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0137.JPG (108.3 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0138.JPG (107.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0139.JPG (134.9 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0140.JPG (129.4 KB, 166 views)
Old 05-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #16
Bill Goddard

I see a distinct metal edge on several photos indicating the metal is not fused all the way around. My first thought was use them but not now. They look like tack welds. Bill G
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #17
Pilotdave

The interesting thing is that there's no obvious signs of welding. So I am leaning toward JoeWay's explanation. They will be a curiosity to show those who stop by my shop.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #18
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

If you don't feel safe with them the way they are cut at the joint and get a piece of tubing that will slid over the and reweld back togehter.
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
Pilotdave

Would such a repair have as much strength as an original one piece 5/16" rod? Suppose it depends on the sleeve thickness, quality of the weld, etc, etc. As noted, I plan to replace them.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #20
mercguy

What you now have is a fire-place poker or scrap. Never use a welded brake rod. The welding material is surely different than the material in the rod. Most filler rod is much harder than the rod. With the vibration that occurs during driving, you will create a fracture between original rod and welding material. Rick
mercguy is offline   Reply With Quote