Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2019, 09:07 PM   #1
Joe K

Default Ares Stud Removal Tool +1

I've prepared a couple of engine blocks (at least) at this point in my life. Yunno - gutting the block out, measuring all the parts, finding out how bad the engine rebuilder is going to cut into your wallet to make it "right."

Previously I have struggled with removing the head studs. I've used pipe wrenches, two vise-grip wrenches held alternately, a reamer wrench (those sharp hardened square openings bite very nicely into softer round stock if you choose your wrench size properly.)

I've done the "tap-tap-tap" on the top of the stud while under torque. I've done the two-nut method both with and without an impact wrench. I've used all manner of penetrating oil AND once even heat - which I don't recommend.

And I've broken a couple of studs in my life.

Yesterday I received my Ares Stud Removal Tool and today I took it for a test drive. On the block of interest I had carefully removed four studs without adverse incident by the means above taking about an hour to do it - but I didn't anticipate removing the remaining 10 studs in under 5 minutes!

Gosh - having the right tools makes ALL the difference.

I chose the Ares tool because it was advertised to be used with regular wrenches or an impact wrench. I can tell you don't waste your time trying to use the tool with a regular wrench - the impact wrench has it ALL covered. Including getting the tool off the stud once it is removed. (Besides the impact wrench you'll need a 1-3/8 open end or adjustable wrench.)

Here' where I got mine https://www.amazon.com/ARES-70016-Da...sr=1-1-catcorr But there are probably cheaper sources out there.

So nice. And I hardly even got my hands dirty!

Definitely a "keepah!"

Joe K
Old 06-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
chrs1961815

Default Re: Ares Stud Removal Tool +1

Joe, this came at exactly the right time as I am disassembling a block and need to get the studs out. Funny how things work!
Old 06-15-2019, 09:17 PM   #3
Mulletwagon

Interesting. I use the KD stud puller, mostly on boat elbows.

https://www.amazon.com/K-D-Tools-170...garden&sr=1-19

Am intrigued with the Ares unit. How does it grip the stud ? Always open to a better tool.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
Joe K

The Ares unit is familial relation mechanically to a jacobs chuck. Except the thread is "backwards" and the counterclockwise action of the impact wrench "tightens" this chuck. The teeth of this jacobs are made to GRAB the stud body. The counterclockwise removal direction only serves to set the Ares tool tighter.

It is possible to place the Ares unit "low" on the stud. I started "loose" holding the outer portion of the Ares in my hand, and a couple of impact cycles tightens the Ares and letting go you can see the screw portion of the Ares continue to tighten until any relative motion between the stud and Ares stops. Then some more impact and you'll next see the grime back off from around the root of the stud as it begins to back out.

I say begin low. The first one I did I placed the unit about half way and tightened it to start by hand and with a wrench. As it tightened under the impact gun, it rose higher on the stud, possibly into the threaded portion. However after removal of the tool there seemed to be little imprint on the threads which occupy the top 1" of the stud.

The remainder I let the impact wrench do all the tightening, and started the tool sitting on the block surface. It would rise about 1/2 inch on tightening allowing you to see the bolt/block juncture.

Once the stud was removed, I used a 1-3/8" box wrench in the right hand and the impact wrench in the left on what would normally be "tighten" (clockwise) direction to undo the Ares.

I marvel still.

I ordered this from Amazon Wednesday and got it Friday. How do they do that?

Joe K
Old 06-15-2019, 09:38 PM   #5
Mulletwagon

Very cool ! Thanks Joe.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:31 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Cheap enough if it works as you say ! !
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
jquinlan

Thanks for sharing this information Joe. I'm ordering one to make a couple upcoming projects a little easier.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:40 AM   #8
Joe K

I removed the exhaust manifold studs now. Unlike the head studs, on these its not possible to seat the tool "low" to avoid the threads. Regardless, the imprint on the threads is small and won't prevent their re-use as exhaust studs.

The head studs I removed with the Ares tool will all be re-used. Of the four I removed by the "double nut" method, three of these are discard because double nutting ruined the 7/16 fine thread.

Having the right tool makes ALL the difference.

Joe K
Old 06-17-2019, 08:47 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
I removed the exhaust manifold studs now. Unlike the head studs, on these its not possible to seat the tool "low" to avoid the threads. Regardless, the imprint on the threads is small and won't prevent their re-use as exhaust studs.

The head studs I removed with the Ares tool will all be re-used. Of the four I removed by the "double nut" method, three of these are discard because double nutting ruined the 7/16 fine thread.

Having the right tool makes ALL the difference.

Joe K
I'm surprised the double nut would ruin the threads. I've used the double nut method a few times and never had thread problems.

Dave in our club is an engine rebuilder and has had good luck using the heat and wax method to remove stuck studs. I've never tried the wax method yet.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #10
katy

For some strange reason I have 2 different stud extractors, never had a problem using either one of them, they both work excellent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stud tool 1.jpg (4.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Stud tool 2.jpg (5.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #11
midgetracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
For some strange reason I have 2 different stud extractors, never had a problem using either one of them, they both work excellent.
I have both of these stud removal tools and yet sometimes break a stud off. Must be the sealer used in past service. No magic bullet.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #12
Joe K

Quote:
I've used that kind in another shop on larger equipment - one with a 3/4 drive and a 30 inch breaker bar. They work - they're not recommended for impact wrenches which I considered the best option on removal - something about the "shock" of an impact wrench to get the stud started.

If you gave me one I wouldn't throw it away - just another arrow in a disassembly arsenal.

Joe K
Old 06-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
I have both of these stud removal tools and yet sometimes break a stud off. Must be the sealer used in past service. No magic bullet.
Believe it or not I broke one of those Bad Boys removing a stud from a Model A engine. Snap-on to boot. Skinned up my knuckles when it snapped.

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #14
katy

Does the Ares tool damage the threads where it grips them? How long does the stud part that goes into the extractor have to be?
I'm thinking about if one was to try and remove the head studs w/the head still on the block.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #15
Joe K

Quote:
Does the Ares tool damage the threads where it grips them? How long does the stud part that goes into the extractor have to be?
I'm thinking about if one was to try and remove the head studs w/the head still on the block.
If the head were on the block I believe the tool would "imprint" the threads. I had a couple that did that during my descriptive earlier, before I learned that the tool is best started "touching" the block which makes the imprint occur "below" the threaded portion.

The imprint probably will not affect the thread strength. It might be cleaned off with a thread file or possibly a die - although I would wish not to use a die as the threads are "rolled" into the stud - as most high strength fasteners are formed. Use of a die kind of "undoes" the advantage of rolled threads.

I recently bought a "thread reformer" for doing rear axle threads, another rolled thread. I believe it starts size-wise at 7/16" and increases in steps. This tool I would use.

Joe K