Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Joe K

Default Gordon Smith Setup on NH Craigslist

Well I saw it on Craigslist and even though I have a Gordon Smith Air Compressor (built on a Model B engine) I decided to go take a look.

He's got parts, not a complete GS setup, but parts. And the listed price was $75 but from his discussion he's willing to dicker. In fact, he says take it home, try it out, and send me what you think they're worth.

Gosh.

The gentleman works in an auto body shop and is VERY much into late 40s early 50s cars. Fords except for a single Studebaker. One 51 Ford original and a driver. One 50 Ford Convertable original and should be kept that way, One 50 Ford Convertable and he's working on it for his grandchildren (he's not that old.) and one a 48 Stude which is the same car he had in college. ALL very nice.

He's a car aficionado. But as a young man he brought home a Gordon Smith setup thinking he would set up a compressor and do some body work. Now a career later in body work and he doesn't have the interest but wants someone who can use it to do so.

Below you see what I get for the price of a dinner for two (excluding tip) at Olive Garden. This not a gloat but rather a demonstration of what is still out there. And I know you folks all like to look at "issues."

Enjoy...

Joe K
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP2660.jpg (96.1 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2661.jpg (99.4 KB, 109 views)
Old 04-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
QGolden

Default Re: Gordon Smith Setup on NH Craigslist

Cool, Good for you, I saw that posting. NH folks are so accommodating...

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Richard Wilson

Hey Joe, A fair price paid for you and the seller for the compressor parts. Please PM me the Smith serial number from the head and I will add you to the Smith Motor Compressor Club's Serial Number Registry. Thanks, Richard
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
Joe K

I sent you a PM Richard.

Thanks!
Joe K
Old 04-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
columbiA

Looks like you have only part of the speed governor.You will also need a small air cyl hooked up from the unloader cyls to over ride the speed gov to bring the comp back to idle when the unloaders open.If you need new reed valves,steel banding around .015" thick can be cut to size & works well.I think the Smith comp puts out around 60 CFM.They work well for sand blasting.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
Joe K

You have good eyes! I'm fortunate in that I have a pierce speed governor that was found at a flea market years ago. This one of those "Hmm - I might need this as a spare part" and the price was ridiculously reasonable.

The setback cylinder I don't have. In with other nuts and bolts in the can of lard (a collectable by itself) is the broken off foot for the setback cylinder. Still, one might be able to rig something up from welded bar stock - or simply run without setback/idle to the engine.

I did ask should he find other parts including the broken housing of the governor that he Email me and I'll pick them up. He shook his head doubtfully and said - "what you see is what I gots."

I did dig out what I have on the pierce governor and as late as the 1950s the housing could be bought separately - then $4.50. But I also see how it should work and maybe some time in front of a lathe and a welder could bring it back....?

Naw... probably easier to find another - which I have.

(for those who don't know, the pierce speed governor sets the speed of the engine during the compression operation, and the setback cylinder puts the engine back to idle when the pressure is satisfied and the air cylinders are bypassed/unloaded.)

Joe K
Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
Richard Wilson

Gordon Smith called the "setback cylinder" the Pilot Valve. It's purpose was to regulate the pressure in the Air Receiver Tank as Joe explains above.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Ray in La Mesa

Kool, another project started. My Gordon Smith runs & pumps but needs restoration. Sometimes it's hard to recognize parts when they are not all together, like in the bottom of an old lard can or beat up box.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wilson View Post
Gordon Smith called the "setback cylinder" the Pilot Valve. It's purpose was to regulate the pressure in the Air Receiver Tank as Joe explains above.
Not to be confused with the "unloader valve" which GS calls the R.C. Unloader Pilot Valve and was originally made by Conrader Industries - who conveniently today makes an equivalent valve for, um, medium money, which is available through Grainger.

This another part I don't have for GS setup No. 2. But within reach I guess.

Joe K