Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Smurkey

Default Headlights Dim Randomly

Has anyone else had the issue wherein the headlights dim randomly. I assume it is a loose connection somewhere, but I just finished the resto so the harness is freshly installed and new. Also no taillight when they flicker to dim.

Honestly haven't spent much time trying to figure it out yet either, thought I'd pop it up on the Barn and see if this is a common thing with an easy go-to solution. If not I'll be chasing the electrical gremlins later...

Thanks--Steve
Smurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
TinCup

Default Re: Headlights Dim Randomly

Poor ground and loose connections are your first targets other than that start the chase.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
ctvpa

Smile Re: Headlights Dim Randomly

First look at poor ground contact. Be sure both contacts are clean.
Then check the switch at the bottom of the steering. Some time the contact can get bent on the bottom, or the contact plate is not pushed up tight enought into the switch cover.
Next time this happens, or anytime really, have someone at the front and rear of the car and wiggle the switch housing and see if you can correct, or recreate the problem.
Usually if is is grounding, the engine will also respond by not running smooth. You don't mention that.
If you have not done so in your restoration, purchase another of the thick cable that runs from the negative pole of the battery to the starter switch, and run a cable from the postitive terminal to one of the transmission bolts for an extra ground.
Next thought, did you install a fuse? If not, do it. If you have one, some are very flimsy made, check to be sure the fuse in not lose, or the contact bad, or the connection; or even the fuse unit is not the cause.
If you are new at this, understand touching the fuse and contacting the car is very painful. Use a piece of wood (I use a chopstick) or something insulated whenever you touch it.
When all else fails, disconnect everything, then reconnect one thing at a time, and check with a miltimeter or test bulb. This happened to me, and it turned out to be the brake switch. The connection for the power to the switch has the contact on the inside of the switch. When I tightend the bolt, it turned the contact so it was now close to the cover, and I was getting an arc, causing my lights to dim.

If none of this works, just drive during the day.

Good luck
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Smurkey

Ahh. It might be the brake light switch. Now that you mention it the lights went dim after I applied the brake.

Thanks
Smurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
columbiA

Repro BL switches are notorious for being poorly made with no quality control.Ive had to take new 30-31 switches apart & fix them as they would ground-out.Also make sure the BL doesnt stay on wnen released.I always check the ammeter to make sure lite is off.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
jrelliott

After checking the probable causes listed above, what electrical system are you using, 12V alternator or 6V generator and what candle power bulbs are you using? If you have put high candle power bulbs in the headlights and tail lights, could be drawing more current that a 6V generator can put out. If 12V it is probably one of the above problems.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote