Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
Mtn Wudy

Default Distributor Question

Well,,here it goes,,I'm just full of questions..48 Ford ,59AB ...still 6volt,,,which is THE best dist. to run ,stock or a Mallory and which one...? I think I've narrowed my stumbling a stuttering down to the dist...I marked the housing for timing and reassembly,took off the Mallory ....The rotor will not even come off the shaft.i can't even check the points...There a hole to the open air on the bottom of the housing,,,should it have a plug in it .?? I sold my whole collection of model Ts,, to get one car I could go places in .Im ready to put two coil boxes and a timer on the thing!!! LOL.I love old cars!!!! Hey I'm getting too durn old for this crap...Carl here in SoCal
Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Distributor Question

I'd recommend the stock distributor, like the 42 crab. This distributor in proper operating condition is in my opinion, the only distributor available today that provides the proper timing curve under ALL operating conditions. The unit can be converted to 12 electronic operation.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

I would ditch the 2 cap rabbit ears setup and put a crab cap and rotor and clips instead of the 2 cap deal. ,much simpeler. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
grumpys hot rods

You Need A Rebuild dizzy from Bubba !!!
grumpys hot rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Henry/Kokomo

Got to agree with the guys here. A "Bubba-Built" stock distributor with the crab style cap and rotor is hard to beat for reliability and performance. Add a Skip Haney rebuilt coil and hit the road!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Mtn Wudy

All's well,,,that ends well....talking to an old friend of mine the other day,I told him about my problem..He said ,he had a 48 59AB in his storage shed...He bought a bunch of them years ago..They were used for Wind Machines in the citrus groves in Redlands,Ca...every one he's sold have run perfect...long story short he said that one has my NAME on it...Come over and get the stock dist. off of it,,,try it in the car...You can pick the engine up next week...We took the looms,wire and dist off and I took it home...This morning I took the cap off it looked brand new.....bolted it all up,,wired it ....With ONE little push of the button,,she started and ran perfect......I've talked to Ken and he has some crab distributors ,,,may get one of those...Thanks to all with you input...Carl