Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
tomkc1

Default Professional Appraiser?

I'm thinking about buying a Thunderbird and I have a number of questions about professional appraisers. I know someone here will have the answers.

How extensive will the appraisal be? For example, is it the appraisers job to know if the vehicle is all original based on his inspection? Will he know what original equipment (Engine, Trans, AC ect) the car came from the factory with?

How does one go about finding the right appraiser for the vehicle? I'm thinking that different appraisers specialize in different vehicles.

Is there any way to estimate what the appraisal will cost?

Thanks, Tom
tomkc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Oldmics
BANNED

Default Re: Professional Appraiser?

I"m gonna come at this question from a T Bird knowledgeable point of view and also from the point of seeing and reading appraisals done.

Appraisers are usually general car knowledgeable guys and not specific type car knowledgeable guys.

Appraisers usually concern themselves with condition first and then onto originality of parts.
This does not mean they verify specific engines,date codes options,etc to the VIN numbers.They will usually gloss over it if an engine is period correct but not numbers matching.

T Birds-at least 55-57 Birds are tough to ascertain if the installed items are actually correct.There is no specific numbers matching on a lot of the parts BUT there are some month/year date codes that exist.

The appraisers that I know get $200-$250.00 per job.

If this is a 55-57 T Bird, I would suggest contacting the local T Bird CTCI chapter closest to where the considered car is located.Ask for their sharpest mechanical member and toss him the money for an inspection.

I can point you towards that CTCI local chapter information if desired.

If its in the Md.,Va,Deleware area-I"m your guy!

Little Birds are fun machines but also easy to get taken on if you dont know them well.

Hope this helps.

Oldmics

Last edited by Oldmics; 02-13-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
zoegrant

Oldmics is right on about getting a C.T.C.I. member with expertise to look at the car....get a few guys with mechanical and body shop knowledge to check the car......club members usually like to help out.......as the saying goes.....( there is wisdom in a multitude of counselors ). John in CT
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
tomkc1

John and Oldmics,

The car is a 1966 TBird so I don't think CTCI would help. I believe their interests are in the '55-'57 years.

I'm going for a very close look tomorrow as well as a test ride but I really do need someone who knows exactly what we're looking at.

Thanks, Tom
tomkc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
paul2748

The Vintage Thunderbird Club International covers later Birds. Try them.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote