Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2022, 10:39 AM   #1
collinrestores

Default Replacing clutch in 1936 Ford

It is time for me to pull the transmission in my 36 fordor and attempt a clutch replacement.

I'm looking for recommendations for clutch parts to buy... I'm seeing different diameters and sizes available out there and I'm not sure which to get. How would I tell without looking at it? Don't want to have to disassemble and then order and wait a week, but I will if I have to.

As far as disassembly goes, I am under the impression it should be possible without pulling the engine by dropping the rear end, sliding it back, removing the transmission linkages and mounting bolts, pulling transmission. Someone correct me if I am wrong about this or if there are pitfalls I should look out for.
collinrestores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:44 AM   #2
KiWinUS

Default Re: Replacing clutch in 1936 Ford

Michael Driskell 3rd Gen auto can probably supply correct parts. Prestige rather pull the engine to replace clutch. If your flywheel needs resurfaced you have to remove oil pan. That’s a chore with engine in car.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:04 PM   #3
whizzernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwinus View Post
michael driskell 3rd gen auto can probably supply correct parts. Prestige rather pull the engine to replace clutch. If your flywheel needs resurfaced you have to remove oil pan. That’s a chore with engine in car.

i need to do same on a 1934 . I do need to change flywheel.
Need advice . ??????
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:17 PM   #4
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzernick View Post
i need to do same on a 1934 . I do need to change flywheel.
Need advice . ??????
Mate I have not done a clutch on a 34 but it is so similar to a 36 I would pull engine as the oil pan has to come off to get flywheel off.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:22 PM   #5
blucar

Unfortunately with the age of a '36 Ford and the variations in what size, etc., the clutch is, your best move would be to pull the engine.
On a brighter note, pulling the engine gives you the opportunity to freshen up many items in the engine compartment while you are doing the clutch..
Another item to consider, the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft. It is only accessible with the flywheel off of the engine. Can't remember if the Ford flat-heads have a pilot bearing, most engines have a bronze bushing, pilot bearing.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:29 PM   #6
Jeff/Illinois

Ft. Wayne Clutch

https://fortwayneclutch.com/

We just had them rebuild an odd ball clutch assy. in our '36 Ford that a fellow was working on for us.

Excellent work fast turn around, was very happy with them!!

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 11-14-2022 at 05:40 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:06 PM   #7
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
Unfortunately with the age of a '36 Ford and the variations in what size, etc., the clutch is, your best move would be to pull the engine.
On a brighter note, pulling the engine gives you the opportunity to freshen up many items in the engine compartment while you are doing the clutch..
Another item to consider, the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft. It is only accessible with the flywheel off of the engine. Can't remember if the Ford flat-heads have a pilot bearing, most engines have a bronze bushing, pilot bearing.
Flathead Pilot bearing or bushing(can use either) is in the flywheel not crankshaft. Cheers
Old 11-15-2022, 12:22 PM   #8
35fordtn

If its a mechanical brake car I much prefer to unhook the rear and roll it back 12". I did a clutch on a 36 Sedan Delivery a month ago and took me only about 45 minutes to get the rear out. But... If you have to pull the flywheel, I'd pull the engine
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 12:46 PM   #9
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Flathead Pilot bearing or bushing(can use either) is in the flywheel not crankshaft. Cheers

I think I hedged my comment about pilot bushings/bearing a bit on flathead Ford engines. been a long time since I have worked on EFV8.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:50 PM   #10
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

The last 1946 we did we rolled the rear back on the drums until the rubber brake line was tight this created enough gap to lift out the box ,make sure the drive shaft rear collar and the front roller bearing is in good shape it you want a extra smooth clutch ,the front of the shaft can whip up and down as you let out the clutch,Ford fly wheel cast iron is good quality cannot remember the last time I changed one , a 1934 36 swap should work as outlined ,I use the rear bell bolted at the top to get your hand through for lifting

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 11-15-2022 at 02:27 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:56 PM   #11
collinrestores

A little update on this: did a lot of research and determined this engine has a later 8BA flywheel and 1949-50 Mercury clutch in it. Unknown why. I picked up the correct flywheel and clutch from Bert's in Englewood CO.

I think I'm going to want to pull the engine and do a lot of work on this car while it's out that I can't do with the limited space I have right now. The next stage of this project will probably have to wait until I move somewhere with more space.
collinrestores is offline   Reply With Quote