Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2022, 10:39 AM   #1
PGBuick

Default Need advice on best path forward-rear juice brakes on my '36

I am building a '36 and currently have a good, complete '36 rear axle assy with mechanical brakes. My plan is to convert to juice brakes with self-energizing Bendix shoe design and emergency brake setup, and small wheel bolt pattern (in other words NOT the wide 5), and open driveline. One solution is to buy all new stuff for the conversion from Speedway, Wilson, Bolling, etc, but it's kind of pricey. I also have a line on a very low priced, local '42 complete chassis with complete rear axle and brakes intact. Do any of the parts on the '42 help reduce cost for my desired end result? Again, that is rear juice brakes, self energizing with emergency brake and NON wide 5 wheel bolt pattern to bolt into my '36 with open driveshaft. From the searching I've done it looks like I might be able to use the '42 backing plates and replacement drums, and maybe the '42 hubs, but my guess is that the self energizing brakes were not a thing yet in '42, and I don't have a clue about the emergency brake on a '42 either. Will a '42 rear hub, which appears to have the small wheel lug bolt pattern that I need, go on a '36 axle snout? Any input appreciated. Thanks!
PGBuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:46 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Need advice on best path forward-rear juice brakes on my '36

I put '40-'48 Ford brakes on my '36 years ago. They bolted right on. As I remember, I was able to connect the later e-brake cable to the '36 mechanism using a standard hardware store clevis. The brakes worked fine. The toughest part of the job is getting the proper tool to remove the hubs/drums.

I believe that if you have self-energizing (Bendix) brakes on the front, Ford rears are more than adequate. I had Ford (Lockheed) all around and they worked fine.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:48 PM   #3
PGBuick

So '42 has emergency brake in the rear drum? Axle taper on the '36 fits in a '42 hub?
thanks!
Old 12-05-2022, 03:05 PM   #4
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGBuick View Post
So '42 has emergency brake in the rear drum? Axle taper on the '36 fits in a '42 hub?
thanks!
Yes to both questions
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:28 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGBuick View Post
From the searching I've done it looks like I might be able to use the '42 backing plates and replacement drums, and maybe the '42 hubs, but my guess is that the self energizing brakes were not a thing yet in '42, and I don't have a clue about the emergency brake on a '42 either. Will a '42 rear hub, which appears to have the small wheel lug bolt pattern that I need, go on a '36 axle snout? Any input appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, you can use the '42 backing plates and drums on your '36 rear axle. They are still the "Lockheed" type, used through 1948. They were NOT of the "Self-energizing" variety until 1949. Shown is a RIGHT, REAR. You can see the cable for the parking brake at the bottom. It pulls FORWARD on the rust-colored LEVER mechanism attached via a pivot to the top of the REAR shoe. The mechanism of levers pushes BOTH shoes OUTWARD at top.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:34 PM   #6
Ford Freak

I put 1950 F1 Bendix type brakes on the front, and 1940 Lockeed type brakes on the rear of my '37. Stops well. - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 12:03 PM   #7
blucar

The 42-48 Ford brakes are much better than the earlier '39-41. I have '47-48 brakes on my '36 with a '39 peddle assembly, which requires relocating the under floorboard battery box.

I just remembered that the front spindles on the '36 will have to be changed to '40/41 in order for the '42-48 backing plates and drums to fit.
My front axle is a '41 with a 2" drop.

I did a hydraulic brake conversion on my brothers '36 pickup many years ago using the front axle assembly from a '48 station wagon. Little tricky getting the roll bar to bolt up to the 36 frame. Used the '36 Banjo with '48 axles and axle assembly... A bolt together swap.
The '42-48 axle assembly is 2" wider than the '36, which is not a big deal, that's only less than 1" on both sides.

Last edited by blucar; 12-06-2022 at 12:44 PM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:15 AM   #8
PGBuick

Thanks for all the helpful input!
Old 12-07-2022, 10:20 AM   #9
PGBuick

Thanks for all the helpful input!