Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2022, 03:28 PM   #21
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: Ford steering box’s flathead Ted

(Worm and roller) !,While we are on the subject of Glens box ,I believed I was supplying a box for a unmodified car ? . I notice in his photos that he had removed and replaced the top bearing retainer with his own non std ,So there's a critical part pertaining to the adjustment that I hoped he wouldn't touch ,what I offered in adjustment was to focus on the clocking of drop arm ,and to restrain him from playing with the screws ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:56 PM   #22
glennpm

Ted, I told you that I had to remove it, sliding it up the steering shaft in order to access the rear most manifold bolt. This is one of the instances that you never replied to when I was working on your box and the bolts were slightly tightened with a 1/4" socket wrench. They were so loose when I got the box that I removed the four bolts by hand with no wrench. I not only told you this in separate emails but in the Word doc that you never commented on. Perhaps you didn't read it?

You sent me a box that was not adjusted. The packing that you did had not been opened. This was as received. Did you personally adjust the box?

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:47 PM   #23
Karl

I have one of Teds Boxes in my 1934
I love it When I installed it I had a problem (which was probably due to me )
I rang Ted He took it back and fixed what I had done. He's a stand up guy IMHO.
I do think that Ted is like a lot of talented people who would rather being doing than writing/reading emails - I got a better understanding (and resolution ) of my problem by speaking to him directly than by emails -Karl

Last edited by Karl; 11-21-2022 at 09:31 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 05:19 PM   #24
Kpar

I have one of Ted's boxes been on the 33 for a few years like power steering.
kpar
Kpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 04:16 PM   #25
FlatheadTed

Thank you to those who supported me ,Glen was the last person to adjust my box ,Given the success of my brake Floaters.
. When the 32 box was returned I looked at the packaging ,bolts and cover that were loosened off I thought the box had done a round trip to California , ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 11-23-2022 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:28 PM   #26
alchemy

The Hudson boxes are basically an F-1 box with the worm above the sector. Those have been modified with a new mounting flange, and put into old Fords for many years. And now Neal is making the Hudson-style boxes brand new so folks don't need to scrounge for hard to find Hudsons. Ted, I really doubt there is much reverse engineering someone would steal from your new box to make a copy of a Hudson box.

Let me tell you I am the last person to gloss over the theft of a product I designed, as I personally made custom dash panels and had someone from Australia steal my exact design and sell them as their own. But I don't believe the worry of someone looking at the inside of a steering box they bought from you is a reason to not fix the problem. Or even refund the money if they can't get it to work.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 03:34 AM   #27
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
Thank you to those who supported me ,Glen was the last person to adjust my box ,Given the success of my brake Floaters I thought some one would try and get a sample of my box possibly the first of the press to reverse engineer, that I wanted to avoid .
. When the 32 box was returned I looked at the bolts and cover that were loosened off I thought the box had done a round trip to a well known California address ,It looked contrived to mock me , .it took several weeks longer to return ,

Man, what an insulting and flaky response. Just what is meant by "a well-known California address"? You seem to imply that YOU are the only one smart enough to understand all of the 'secret stuff' that's gone into your magical contraption. It's pretty well understood that Glenn didn't just start messing with these old used cars any time recently. Anyone caring to pay a little attention might realize that Glenn is actually one of the sharper tacks that tends to hang around with this bunch. I, for one, surely can't imagine ever having any use for any of your services.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:28 PM   #28
FlatheadTed

Alchemy thank you for your measured response.

Have edited the previous post as some people might get the wrong idea . No offence meant to Glen, just trying to find the cause of the problem.

The one returned we checked, tightened up the cover bolts and sold it with no problems.

We issued Glen a full refund less return freight once it arrived back in New Zealand which is the standard practice.

I am aware of Neals boxes and I am sure he has his own ideas and knows his craft well.

Alchemy ,With the theft of your product I am sure it plays on your mind.

We have been exporting all over the world for over a decade and my feedback on here is all positive. We have hundreds of very satisfied customers from several Countries including many from all over the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
The Hudson boxes are basically an F-1 box with the worm above the sector. Those have been modified with a new mounting flange, and put into old Fords for many years. And now Neal is making the Hudson-style boxes brand new so folks don't need to scrounge for hard to find Hudsons. Ted, I really doubt there is much reverse engineering someone would steal from your new box to make a copy of a Hudson box.

Let me tell you I am the last person to gloss over the theft of a product I designed, as I personally made custom dash panels and had someone from Australia steal my exact design and sell them as their own. But I don't believe the worry of someone looking at the inside of a steering box they bought from you is a reason to not fix the problem. Or even refund the money if they can't get it to work.

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 11-23-2022 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:39 AM   #29
glennpm

Thank you and now it's time to get John Greco a couple of good 34 boxes.

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 02:38 PM   #30
T Scott

Interesting reading all this stuff. First, why would anyone buy a steering box that you were not supposed to take apart? That's contrary to everything in this hobby. The true Ford aficionado takes everything apart at some time or another, either to repair/rebuild, improve or to understand the respective mechanism. Secondly, with respect to reverse engineering, this is pretty basic stuff, and there are other more lucrative devises out there that could be reverse engineered if one was into that. By the time someone took one of these apart and created the drawings, secured a pattern maker, spec'd the components, cast and then machined the casting, machined the end caps and on and on, there is considerable investment here. Good return on investment? I don't think so.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 03:26 PM   #31
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Scott View Post
Interesting reading all this stuff. First, why would anyone buy a steering box that you were not supposed to take apart? That's contrary to everything in this hobby. The true Ford aficionado takes everything apart at some time or another, either to repair/rebuild, improve or to understand the respective mechanism. Secondly, with respect to reverse engineering, this is pretty basic stuff, and there are other more lucrative devises out there that could be reverse engineered if one was into that. By the time someone took one of these apart and created the drawings, secured a pattern maker, spec'd the components, cast and then machined the casting, machined the end caps and on and on, there is considerable investment here. Good return on investment? I don't think so.

Mr T Scott completely blows that "REVERSE ENGINEERING" B/S idea completely out of the water. Well-said, Sir!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 03:35 PM   #32
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Mr T Scott completely blows that "REVERSE ENGINEERING" B/S idea completely out of the water. Well-said, Sir!

Coop

As well as the "but he took it apart" wah-wah.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:58 PM   #33
cas3

I have an idea. I think both Neil and Ted should each send me one of their boxes, and I put one in each of my 34's, and run them for a decade or so and report back here which one is best, for free of coarse. What do ya think?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:51 PM   #34
Mart

I don't have an axe to grind in this, but if you make and sell something, anyone can buy it, even those that may be your competitors. I worked for a car manufacturer and there was a department that would strip down competitors cars and do a cost breakdown on every component.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:57 PM   #35
FlatheadTed

T Scotts correct on that , its not cost effective ,not even for me ,But what about the Manufacturer's warranty and the conditions likely attached , , well put it this way its 1934 you are 19 you have worked hard at you paper round after class , you say to your self I am gonna get me one of those new beautiful 34 Ford Roadsters you turn up to the local Ford dealer, well Henry Ford just happens to be visiting that day Son he says since you like the Ford idea so much we will give you a 12 month Warranty on all repairs plus two carburetors and cam out of our experimental front wheel drive , indianapolis race car I will even sign the dash .Hes more than happy its jet black .He drives the wheels of it smokes every one of at the one traffic light in town hes the talk of the town ,after about six months he hears a noise in the motor he asks his neighbor as hes seen him fixing his model T pick up and briggs and stratton lawn mower at times on the front lawn .The neighbour says its likely a bearing he ,pulls the motor to bits pan etc , I am scratching my head on this one he says ,they load up the neighbours old model T with the parts ( named Shake rattle and Roll ) .The 19 year old says can I crank the T as I remember how you said to cup you hand back wards on the handle to avoid a broken wrist ,with a belch of smoke she fires into life and they head off, they arrive at the dealer with two boxes of Engine bits ,the dealer looks in the back yiks ! he says , he becons his chief mechanic, over the next few days they re assemble it ,he calls the owner ,and says Sorry son this ones on you .
Any way we also have fixed that stiff steering you complained about also ,Lucky The engine noise was just a loose pump push rod bush .

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 11-27-2022 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:51 PM   #36
FlatheadTed

Most of you would know this but there are quite a few things that can cause steering to feel loose other than the box ,I have read some of easy steers complaints of looseness on the Model A site,I don't think any manufacturer set out to sell a loose box ,So i thought there's something else going on there,
I was asked recently how to tighten a early Model A box as the owner said the steering wheel has some play .It goes down the road constantly having to correct the steering I suggested turning up a eccentric sector bush to bring the sector closer to the worm ,But then after thinking about it suggested its most likely his wheel alignment or maybe caster ,I went on to explain to him how a bicycle can go down the road with the riders hands off the bars and track straight ,that's because of the caster (steering pivot line is farther forward at the lower compared to the top .and a alignment issue can steer with Either wheel , minior left and right .The next time I saw him he said it was exactly as you said got a wheel alignment and now drives great ,