Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2022, 07:53 AM   #1
fast fredy

Default 4 barrel

Morning guys , bought a 4 barrel intake and t pot carb carb # ecz 9510l list#1162 2
intake # ecz-9425-a . I am wondering if they will work with my original 55 272 distributor . I think if I have the intake off I'll put in a pcv in the valley pan
fast fredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:36 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 4 barrel

Quote:
... original 55 272 distributor
Yes, they will work with the LOAD-O-MATIC DIST.

The CARB is a H-4000 (Teapot)?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:37 AM   #3
scicala

Default Re: 4 barrel

Yes, the 1162-2 Holley 4000 and the ECZ-A intake are both correct for '56, and will work fine with the '55 Loadomatic distributor, like KULTULZ said.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:51 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

Didn't the 55/56 4-bbl teapot carb have an additional vacuum hookup for the dual-diaphragm vacuum advance on the distributor??? The 272, 2-bbl only had a single vacuum diaphragm. Wouldn't you need to get a dual-vacuum setup for the distributor in order to synchronize the carb perfectly with the dizzy???
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 05:35 PM   #5
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Didn't the 55/56 4-bbl teapot carb have an additional vacuum hookup for the dual-diaphragm vacuum advance on the distributor??? The 272, 2-bbl only had a single vacuum diaphragm. Wouldn't you need to get a dual-vacuum setup for the distributor in order to synchronize the carb perfectly with the dizzy???
The '56 dual diaphragm was on '56 4 barrel applications. The outer diaphragm used manifold vacuum off of a brass fitting in the rear base of the carb. Had nothing to do with spark advance, it just monentarily retarded the the timing on acceleration only, to avoid detonation (spark knock).
The inner diaphragm took the limited vacuum from the normal port on the front of the carb, about halfway up for the spark advance.

The '56 carb will have the correct vacuum signal for the '55 distributor too.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:47 PM   #6
fast fredy

on the back of this tea pot on the base there is a brass fitting with the remains of 2 small steel lines , obviously vacuum lines I dont think i need the 2 lines as i think the ported vacuum for advance comes off the front .. I'm wondering can i take out the brass fitting and use that spot for my pcv line
Old 12-06-2022, 10:15 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Just sharing this first image in case it's helpful...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast fredy View Post
on the back of this tea pot on the base there is a brass fitting with the remains of 2 small steel lines , obviously vacuum lines I dont think i need the 2 lines as i think the ported vacuum for advance comes off the front .. I'm wondering can i take out the brass fitting and use that spot for my pcv line
Second image, the vacuum fitting. It wasn't designed for PCV and may be too small to be effective??? or the crankcase residue may gum up the insides of the carb???

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-06-2022 at 11:19 PM. Reason: add words & photo
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:43 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Question Re: 4 barrel

Quote:

That particular fitting is for the 56 H4000 carb providing vacuum signal(s) for dual diaphram LOAD-O-MATIC DUALING DIAPHRAM RETARD canister and vacuum wiper motor.

You have vacuum wipers (SGL or DBL action fuel pump?) and MAN or PWR BRAKE?

Quote:
Second image, the vacuum fitting. It wasn't designed for PCV and may be too small to be effective??? or the crankcase residue may gum up the insides of the carb???
Correct and correct. You also do not want any vacuum sourced accessories drawing off a PCV vacuum source due to possible reversion and fouling.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-07-2022 at 01:48 AM. Reason: CRS
Old 12-07-2022, 08:04 AM   #9
fast fredy

maybe I should use a carb spacer with a fitting in it for the pcv line .. and leave the brass fitting in and use one of the lines for wipers and block the other, will that small steel line be enough to run wipers ( i hardly use them anyway)
Old 12-07-2022, 08:56 AM   #10
dmsfrr

Quote:
maybe I should use a carb spacer with a fitting in it for the pcv line .. and leave the brass fitting in and use one of the lines for wipers and block the other, will that small steel line be enough to run wipers ( i hardly use them anyway)
That's got my vote.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:59 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Post Re: 4 barrel

Quote:

... maybe I should use a carb spacer with a fitting in it for the pcv line .. and leave the brass fitting in and use one of the lines for wipers and block the other, will that small steel line be enough to run wipers ( i hardly use them anyway)
Yes, that is the vacuum signal source for the vacuum wipers.

So you have manual brakes (no booster)?

Below is a kit for easy PCV CONV for your application -

Quote:
CONV KIT - 55-56 4V H4100 - CASCO 6758AA
You will need to source a valley pan to accept the valve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CONV KIT - 55-56 4V H4100 - CASCO 6758AA.JPG (23.6 KB, 5 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-08-2022, 08:11 AM   #12
fast fredy

yes manual brakes