Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #21
Gary Karr

Default Re: Max Speed of a Model A in Stock Form

I used to drive my stock late '31 Roadster at 65 on open highways. It actually ran really smooth at that speed but 55 was optimal for it.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #22
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde;2006335
[B
If the brakes in your Model "A" cannot lockup all 4 wheels and skid straight, you should not be driving it on public roads.[/B]
I always wonder why people measure how good their brakes are if you can "lockup all 4 wheels"?

When you lock up your wheels you lose braking power, especially with the small tire footprint of the stock size tires.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #23
TerryH

I think they are referring to the fact their brakes work well enough they can do that. Model A brakes that are not in great condition or adjusted properly work so poorly they cannot lock up the tires, even in a panic stop.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #24
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
I think they are referring to the fact their brakes work well enough they can do that. Model A brakes that are not in great condition or adjusted properly work so poorly they cannot lock up the tires, even in a panic stop.
My brakes stop very effectively. So much so that I cannot even understand why someone would have the need for juice brakes. I have no problems locking them up if I so decide....It just takes a little time to adjust them as long as the components are not worn out.

I hit 57 and my 29 Phaeton felt very much in control. At no point did I feel unsafe so I am going to do a re-test as my spark advance was in the half way down position.

Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:50 PM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
I always wonder why people measure how good their brakes are if you can "lockup all 4 wheels"?

When you lock up your wheels you lose braking power, especially with the small tire footprint of the stock size tires.
I'll give my opinion of why. Others opinions may vary.

For me, having enough clamping force of the brake shoes to the drums to completely stop all 4 wheels where they can no longer spin generally means you have more than enough braking ability to depress the brake pedal using less pressure to ensure a safe stop. From my vantage point, just because I can 'lock up the wheels' does not mean I do. I just want to know I have more braking ability than what I will need.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:02 PM   #26
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

For me, having enough clamping force of the brake shoes to the drums to completely stop all 4 wheels where they can no longer spin generally means you have more than enough braking ability to depress the brake pedal using less pressure to ensure a safe stop. From my vantage point, just because I can 'lock up the wheels' does not mean I do. I just want to know I have more braking ability than what I will need.
Brent Very well said
Old 04-12-2021, 02:08 PM   #27
frank55a

For those of you that are skeptical of what speed a stock Model A will do or has done in the past. Read the attached article about the Phoenix Flyer from the March/April 1965 issue of the MARC News. This record run was apparently made in 1932 when most if not all of the route was unpaved.

NOTE: This is just one of the many interesting stories that can be found on the MARC News first twelve years 1953 - 1965 CD. If interested see my ad on the Swap Meet page.

How fast the Model A will go is really not important, but how well it will stop is most important. I stay away from the Interstate Highways and typically run 55-60 wherever possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1965 Mar-April pg 16.jpg (59.0 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by frank55a; 04-12-2021 at 02:46 PM.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:30 PM   #28
jayvee34

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
Perhaps you should think about your brakes and steering at 65 mph let alone the kids on bikes and animals in the road. I like 35-40 and enjoying the scenery, waves and smiles from other folks on the road.
I agree whole heartily!!
jayvee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:46 PM   #29
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvee34 View Post
I agree whole heartily!!
To each his own but the Model A was engineered to do more than 35 40mph. If you think your car is not safe over that speed fix it......I just did and it was worth seeing her come alive.

If you like driving 35 to 40 enjoy your car but still fix it regardless in the name of safety. If its not safe over 40 its not safe under 40 as well.

Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 04-12-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #30
jayvee34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
To each his own but the Model A was engineered to do more than 35 40mph. If your car is not safe over that speed fix it......I just did and it was worth seeing her come alive.

If you like driving 35 to 40 enjoy your car but still fix it regardless in the name of safety. If its not safe over 40 its not safe under 40 as well.

Ron
I just installed Nu Rex' timing advance kit, and it really woke it up. I do enjoy
driving 40 to 45 MPH on country roads but can go faster if need be, and I do
agree with you concerning the safety at 40 MPH or slower.
jayvee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #31
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvee34 View Post
I just installed Nu Rex' timing advance kit, and it really woke it up. I do enjoy driving 40 to 45 MPH on country roads but can go faster if need be, and I do agree with you concerning the safety at 40 MPH or slower.
It honestly should not have made any difference. Timing, -whether set manually or set automatically accomplishes the exact same thing. In other words, if the automatic advance sets the total advance at 30°, and or whether I move the spark lever down until the timing is set to 30° total advance, the engine itself does not know the difference.

Ohh, and welcome to Fordbarn!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #32
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

This answers the question.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:25 PM   #33
ed thibodeau

A couple of years ago on an open road no traffic I had my 31 pick-up at 60 MPH for
about 3 miles timed by a modern car. It was scary and all over the road. I will
never try it again.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:31 PM   #34
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed thibodeau View Post
A couple of years ago on an open road no traffic I had my 31 pick-up at 60 MPH for
never try it again.
You should address the issues that made it scary at 60 mph, it will be way more enjoyable at 45 mph or whatever your preferred speed is.

If it's scary at 60, there are underlying issues that made it feel that way.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #35
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
never try it again.
Somethings not right!
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:38 PM   #36
Model A Ron

Quote:
never try it again.

I know the feeling as my car was scary with anything over 40. Check your frontend and replace any worn out parts including the draglink inserts and tie rod inserts and kingpins. Hopefully the balls are good but if not replace them as well. More than likely the steering box needs a rebuild if you have excessive play in the wheel. The 2 tooth box in your 31 will have 1 inch or less play in the steering wheel if rebuilt right. Also do not forget to do an alinement and set your car to 1/16 tow in. After that you should be able to do 60 without fear.

Ron

Ron
Old 04-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #37
Model A Ron

Cool Re: Max Speed of a Model A in Stock Form

Well I just got back from doing a retest using just about full spark advance and my GPS speed went from57 to 62 mph without an overdrive. The test was done on the same country road and my 29 Phaeton held the road quite well. I am planning on installing a Mitchell overdrive soon and I can now say with confidence I will be able to hold 60 mph when needed (With the Overdrive) but I do plan on doing most of my driving at 50 and under. If your car feels unsafe like mine did please do not accept it or just live with it........Go fix your Model A and your Model A will reward you with surprising performance for a 90 plus year old car. Do it for your safety and the safety of everyone around you. I have proven to myself that a well sorted Model A is capable of safely doing 62 mph......now it's time for seatbelts

Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 04-12-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #38
nkaminar

This is off the topic a bit. When growing up my father owned a 1937 Rolls Royce. It had mechanical brakes but had a servo clutch on the transmission. As you pushed the brake pedal the rear brakes would come on. As you pushed harder the servo clutch would engage and pull the cables for the front and rear brakes. This worked like power brakes. But, if the rear wheels started to skid, the servo force would be reduced, thereby reducing the braking effort. It was an automatic skid control. Modern cars have this but it is controlled by a computer and sensors at all four wheel.

The brakes saved by father from an accident when a school bus pulled out in front of him.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:43 PM   #39
Gene F

In a way I kind of hate to say this, but I have a 28 with 30lbs flywheel, B/F head, and a B-carb. Cast iron brakes CAN lock but I still drive the car, and modern oil shocks, a new front spring, and everything gone through in suspension and steering. My car has a B/W 33% overdrive. At 55 or 60 MPH my car is cruising as if it's turning 38-40MPH, and I don't have a death grip on the wheel.

My new engine is still being broke in at the lower speeds, so hard to tell what it MIGHT do. The motor pans will be going on this weekend.

An overdrive to me is not about speed, it's about saving the engine. With the overdirve on I can have conversation in my car. I need not worry about chewing the engine up either.

I seem to recall a reprint of a Ford book I have that says the car was designed to do between 55MPH to 65MPH. However, we all know roads at that time would not support those speeds.

My advice to everyone - trust your insticts. If you are chewing your car up, let up on it. If you are holding on with a death grip, slow down. You can tell. The car you save will be your own.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:43 PM   #40
Richard Knight

Back in high school I drove a late 31 steel top wide bed. Best it could do was 63mph down hill. That baby was screaming as I think it had a 4.11 rear end. Later on with the 29murray sedan with B, press on weights, Police head, Stromberg, light flywheel, cam, Borg warner overdrive, 16" wheels, I could drive on interstate 95 for hours at 55-65mph with no worries, brakes and steering were right. Did this year and year out on our trips to Maine. The current owner is enjoying this car in Texas. Rick.
Richard Knight is offline   Reply With Quote