Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
2dasand

Default 1955 Rear Axle Pad Width

Hello guys! New member here. I have a 1955 Customline Tudor V8 (272 2bbl).

I am not in the same state as my car right now (work), and trying to do a little research. Does anyone know the axle/spring pad spacing on a stock rear end? I am looking at a Versailles 9" installation that I have already, and cannot seem to find the correct center to center on the original rear end to compare to the Versailles. I don't believe it is a direct bolt in swap, but I am trying to confirm.

Any help is appreciated!
2dasand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:07 PM   #2
50fordcoupeman

Default Re: 1955 Rear Axle Pad Width

Welcome to the Barn!! Think you will like it here. My avatar is sporting a '55 Ford rear end. The best measurement I could get for you is 421/2" center to center on the perches. It could be + or - a hair. Hope this is close enough for what you are needing. Good luck with your project.
One of my best hot rod buddies lives in LHC during the winter.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:10 AM   #3
2dasand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman View Post
Welcome to the Barn!! Think you will like it here. My avatar is sporting a '55 Ford rear end. The best measurement I could get for you is 421/2" center to center on the perches. It could be + or - a hair. Hope this is close enough for what you are needing. Good luck with your project.
One of my best hot rod buddies lives in LHC during the winter.
Thank you!! That is enough to tell me that I will have to relocate the pads on the axle, which is what I was looking for. Thank you!
So far, I am loving the Barn! Lots of info. As for LHC - I love it...hard to beat and Hot Rods everywhere!
2dasand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dasand View Post
Thank you!! That is enough to tell me that I will have to relocate the pads on the axle, which is what I was looking for. Thank you!
So far, I am loving the Barn! Lots of info. As for LHC - I love it...hard to beat and Hot Rods everywhere!

When you do relocate the pads take your time welding them. The guy who set up the 8 inch Maverick rear end for my '54 Ranch Wagon showed me a rear end housing that was ruined by the guy who welded the pads in one continuous pass.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:40 PM   #5
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 1955 Rear Axle Pad Width

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post

When you do relocate the pads take your time welding them.

The guy who set up the 8 inch Maverick rear end for my '54 Ranch Wagon showed me a rear end housing that was ruined by the guy who welded the pads in one continuous pass.
AMEN! on that. Too much heat at one spot can warp the tubes and then you have to pay to have them straightened.

LAKEWOOD used to carry spring mounts. Make sure you get the pinion angle dialed in correctly also.

What year LINC rear is it?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:05 PM   #6
51504bat

Don't know what the axle tube diameter your rear end is but the tubes on mine were I believe 2.75. I could find 2.5 and 3.0 inch pads but 2.75 ones were not available from all the usual suspects. Turns out the guy who set up the 3rd member had them in stock. So if you can't find the correct ones for your rear end Bill Thomas Enterprises in San Bernardino, CA should have what you need as well as any other rear end stuff as well.

https://billthomasenterprises.com/
(909) 888-7949