Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
mrtexas

Default Showing a little progress

I got a little black paint on the fenders today:

I've got a coat of epoxy on the body now:

mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Steve Wastler

Default Re: Showing a little progress

Wow looks very nice, good to see the progress. I miss the smell of fresh paint in the air....
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
chuckstinn

Looks like your making good progress. What type of black paint are you using?
I'm getting ready to paint some fenders also.
Thanks, Chuck
chuckstinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckstinn View Post
Looks like your making good progress. What type of black paint are you using?
I'm getting ready to paint some fenders also.
Thanks, Chuck
I bought the Kirker line of urethane black paint. They have lots of colors but they are all premixed. It is $75 for a gallon and hardener. Looks good to me and can't understand why Concepts at $400+ would be worth it.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
Doug in NJ

Your yard looks like a sculpture garden!
Did the work stay clean out there?

Doug
Old 09-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
mrtexas

The work stayed cleaner outdoors than indoors. I had to dodge the love bugs however!

A little more progress:

Old 09-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Kevin in NJ

You know the lower rear panel is supposed to have the 1" hole for the spare tire even if you do side mounts?

I know it does not matter for most cars, just pointing it out. That is also the fast way to tell a repro panel on many cars.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
RonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
You know the lower rear panel is supposed to have the 1" hole for the spare tire even if you do side mounts?

I know it does not matter for most cars, just pointing it out. That is also the fast way to tell a repro panel on many cars.
Does that not apply to the 1930 deluxe roadsters since they came stock with left sidemounts?

Last edited by RonC; 09-17-2011 at 08:19 PM.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

can't understand why Concepts at $400+ would be worth it.

Just remember paint is like everything else, "you get what you pay for". There will probably be a day when you will understand why Concepts is worth $400+ per gal. I have been painting cars for a living since 3 june 1966 and I would not use a paint product that only cost $75 a gal including the activator. I just repaired my wife's car that was damaged when a truck lost his load of pipe through her back glass. The paint for her car cost $600 per gal not counting the activators and clear coat and activator etc.. By the time I bought everything to repaint just the rear bumper cover, deck lid, and blend the Rt 1/4 panel I had about $1100 in materials. Of course I had some of the products left over but still I wouldn't have spent $1100 if I thought $75 per gal was as good. I am retired and some of the products have changed since I last painted a car plus some of my old stock wasn't any good now and had to be replaced but I still wouldn't use something that cheap. It isn't always cheap in the long haul.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin/TN View Post
can't understand why Concepts at $400+ would be worth it.

Just remember paint is like everything else, "you get what you pay for". There will probably be a day when you will understand why Concepts is worth $400+ per gal. I have been painting cars for a living since 3 june 1966 and I would not use a paint product that only cost $75 a gal including the activator. I just repaired my wife's car that was damaged when a truck lost his load of pipe through her back glass. The paint for her car cost $600 per gal not counting the activators and clear coat and activator etc.. By the time I bought everything to repaint just the rear bumper cover, deck lid, and blend the Rt 1/4 panel I had about $1100 in materials. Of course I had some of the products left over but still I wouldn't have spent $1100 if I thought $75 per gal was as good. I am retired and some of the products have changed since I last painted a car plus some of my old stock wasn't any good now and had to be replaced but I still wouldn't use something that cheap. It isn't always cheap in the long haul.
Time will tell.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
modeleh

mrtexas, I admire your personal effort to do all the work yourself on a budget with what you have at hand (no paint booth). This is how I operate also.
Marvin may have a point that there are better ingredients in the more expensive stuff, however IMO, it depends on how the vehicle is going to be used. Maybe the expensive stuff will hold up to the sun's UV rays without chalking better than the cheap stuff, or may resist chipping by rocks better, etc. But with an old Model A that sits in the garage most of it's life and may only be out all day in the sun for an equivalent of 2 or 3 straight weeks per year, and sees proportionally less rocks tossed at it than an everyday driver, I think some of the cheaper products are just fine, and will probably outlast you if you look after it.
A friend of mine who is gone now, used to paint with a house brand cheap industrial enamel from the local Cloverdale paint store, and because of his years of experience he could lay that stuff down just like glass and almost never needed any buffing or polishing. You would swear it was some kind of expensive paint, and he would just smile and tell you, no "it's the cheapest stuff I could find" Now many of these vehicles he painted were for their own collection and would sit on display in a building and hardly ever see the road or daylight, but after 5-20 years, they all still look great. He proved to me that a decent job could be done with the cheap stuff if you know what you're doing.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Tony G

I have a friend who painted his fenders using Rustoleum 2X black in a rattle can. I was amazed how good it looks and stands up over several years.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Yes MrTexas you are right, time will tell. In my opinion it takes way too much work to bring one of these cars back from the dead to cheap out at the last minute but each to their own. I agree it's your money and your car to do with as you please. I was just trying to give everyone the benifit of my 45 plus years of my professional experience. One car in particular that came out of my shop has won several best of show and best paint awards and has been in more than one car magazine at least 5 times. I truley wish you the best of luck with your car.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
mrtexas

Shot some color today:

Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #15
eswanson

looks good man

Eric Swanson
1931 Model A Pickup
eswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #16
sonny30coupe

I can not imagine that paint not being full of bugs and leaves. There must have been no wind on that day or those pieces would have blown over. as precariously set as they are. I commend you on the sculpture. Seriously though, nice job and I hope you enjoy it, no matter how it looks to everyone else in the end.
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #17
1931 flamingo

WOW!!! That is really starting to look nice. I commend you on your talents and ingenuity.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #18
mass A man

A few years back, I was using "Centari" acrylic enamel by Dupont, #99-A, Pitch black, with Dupont's Nason ful-base medium reducer,(441-21). I add a bit of "Transtar" Super wet look acrylic enamel catalyst(#8108) also. Looks like a Henry Ford paint job, and yes, I paint out doors too! Just have to be very patient for that "perfect day" for spraying. I don't recall spending too much money for my paint supplies either. On a Model A, It's holding up just fine! It's been about 10 years now.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #19
mass A man

One quick note on the last post I made, The paint job is NOT on the avatar truck!! That is a 1948 brush paint job, as found, pulled out of a long, long slumber. I'm keeping the truck AS-IS.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #20
1931 flamingo

Painted my model A back in 58 or 8, one with rustoleum and a brush (no brush marks), and another with an electrolux vacuum cleaner with spray bottle hooked to the hose. My Dad's 50 ford 2 dr outside also. Just have to wait for the right conditions.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote