Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2018, 08:20 PM   #1
terry

Default generator change

I want to change out my 36 ford 3 brush generator for a more modern 12v, 2 brush. It's my understanding that the 1959-64 Ford generators look the same and have the same diameter as my old one. How involved is this? I would like to keep the same pulley and fan arrangement as I have now. Are the front covers interchangeable? I would want a set-up that allows me to still attach the generator to the front of the intake manifold. The earlier thread about the Power master led me to believe it's not good to attach a fan to it. Terry
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
Kahuna

Default Re: generator change

Terry
If I remember correctly, that last thread had mentioned by JSeery that there is a gentleman that converts 6 volt generators to 12 volts.
This may be the best option for you, as in doing so, you will have a generator that can handle the fan load & appear very stock.
Maybe J will see this & respond
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:03 AM   #3
Brian

The 59-64 generators will share parts with the 39 and later 6 volt, 2 brush generators, NOT your 3 brush. So...what you want is to find a 39 Standard generator to use in conjunction with the later 12 volt affair. A 39 standard has a generator mounted fan, therefore you use that pulley, the front bearing retainer/gene mount, and the armature, body [with fields] and rear brush holder out of the 12 volt generator.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:05 AM   #4
Brian

An easier way to convert your 36 to 12 jolts, is to use the existing three brush generator with a diode installed in the cut out housing. Alternatively, [instead of diode], a fun projects 12 volt regulator.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:45 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It would depend on the amperage required. 12v out of a 3 brush generator will reduce the amperage output. Converting the original gen to an alternator is an option. Whitney is the company I have used.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
terry

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I have used the Fun Projects alternative for for a number of years now and it has worked very well on 12v. But, as one of you pointed out, you must limit your amperage output to no more than around 10 amps by adjusting the 3rd brush. I am considering adding a heater and maybe other things which will require more amperage,and to do that will have to change out the old generator. I'll think over your suggestions. Terry
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

There are several articles about converting a flathead era 6v 2-brush generator to 12v by switching out parts with later 12v generators.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:39 PM   #8
cas3

i just got my whitney conversion back last month. it took 5 months, well, car is not on the road, so whatever. it cost 502 bucks delivered. its a 34. what they want is only the front mounting plate, and the rear brush plate, and a pulley, (small one preferred by them), and an original ford cut out. they make the center section from aluminum tube which is slightly larger than the original case, not much, maybe 1/8", not noticeable unless you know what to look for. this larger case houses some kinda modern alternator, which is top secrete, only to be had by a congressional inquiry, which would come back mostly redacted. we think its a small denso unit used in kubota tractors. however, the part i dont get is running a fan on the front. whitney is the only one who claims the fan will hold up, no failures to date. when i look in the front i see the alternator guts are an inch or two back from the front bearing, which is not like any alternator i've ever seen, so what are they using for an armature shaft that is that long, and fits the ford bearing and pulley? sorry i cant brag about how wonderful it is, its not running yet. but, they do have a good reputation, and i bit the bullet to try one out. my other 34 is running a 60ish 12 volt 2 brush case on a 34 armature, like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1111.jpg (70.6 KB, 45 views)
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote