Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
BN

Default Windshield Frame Restoration.

Just finished taking my 1930 Briggs Town Sedan windshield apart. There was some rust thru in the outer skin (as shown in the piece I cut out in the first pic). I thought I could make another piece and weld it back in, but the interior structure is quite rusty and I suspect that is the case along the entire frame. The only way I can visualize stopping the interior rust is to cut off the entire outer skin, sandblast and repair (as needed) the interior metal and weld the outer skin back on. Just wondering if anyone has other ideas on how to restore a windshield frame. Also wondering if it's really worth it as I see replica windshield frames are available. Has anyone tried this route? Do they look authentic and fit ok? Thanks in advance for any comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3455.jpg (57.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3456.jpg (79.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3457.jpg (70.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 10-19-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Windshield Frame Restoration.

well yes repos are available, BUT how much is your time worth? An aluminum one is $250, steel like original is $500 and chrome plated is $950!

yours doesnt look too bad exterior wise, can you fit one of those tiny peep cameras and see what the rest of the frame looks like? is it possible to run the blast nozzle down the channel to get most of it?
Old 10-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

your frame looks pretty rough and most likely would not be worth the effort.. give Bert's model A call for a decent used one as another alternative
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
SSsssteamer

The best time to fix the bad windshield frame correctly is now. You can patch around the rust with new metal but it will come back to haunt you later. I just repaired a windshield frame for my late 31 pick up and it wasn't as bad as yours. After I was done, with the labor that I had in it, I should have replaced it. Replace your windshield frame with a good used rust free frame, or buy a new reproduction. You can advertise here on the Ford Barn wanted section and you will get a good quick response. You should be able to get a good used sedan windshield frame for less than $100.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
Kevin in NJ

The repro frames are very good.

The slant window one I have is dead on.

That being said. You should be able to find none rusty originals economically.
I personally would get a good original. If you are in hurry Bert's has a great reputation and will be quick, but will cost more then the time it would take for a better deal.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
Bud

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I had two excellent windshield frames for sale about a year ago on this forum for approximately $200 each and the only people who responded and purchase them were street rodders. Both frames were cut down for rods. I wish I had kept them.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote