Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
groinky

Default 1940 Ford Woodie restoration

I'm new to the Ford barn and am looking for suggestions on how to properly install a reworked 1949 flathead into my 1940 Ford Deluxe woodie. I want to retain the three speed column mounted shifter and the original rear end. The engine has aluminum Offenhauser heads and an aluminum OFFENHAUSER manifold with a 390 Edelbrock
carband a mild street cam. It also has Johnson adjustable lifters ,MSD electronic ignition and headers.
Is this set up compatible with the separate bellhousing for an 8BA and can I still use the torque tube. I plan on installing a Columbia 2 speed rear end if I can find one.
Any help would be appreciated.
Jim in Nova Scotia
groinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Mike in AZ

Default Re: 1940 Ford Woodie restoration

welcome to the 'Barn....sounds like a project....good luck...Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
alan

in one word-Yes, this engine makes a little more HP , You will need truck type water pumps, set up for single drive belt as the clearance for the fan is a little difficult, I run an 8CM engine in my 41 truck and use a crank shaft mounted mounted fan with an adapter to do this, do a search on this site for the details. also you will need to do a little work to connect the different size hoses on the top of engine to radiator, Tatum Engineering has parts to do this. PS I also have a 40 wagon, but run a correct engine in it.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
joel

Go to this page and look in the left column about halfway down "49 to 53 8ba bellhousing I.D. http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/flathead.htm
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
flatjack9

You will need the steel or cast iron 1/2 bellhousing to use your transmission and driveline.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
groinky

Alan,it,s interesting that you also have a 1940 Ford station wagon with the stock engine. I have the original engine for my car. It stopped running in 1965 but luckily it was retained and was still with the car when I bought it. My main concern was how well the car would run along the highway for long distances at 65 MPH with the stock engines. Any thoughts on this?
Jim
groinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
Terry,OH

I don't believe you would have any problems running the original flat head at 65 all day. As long as you have the proper gear ratio for the Columbia. Take into account the extra weight of the vehicle, the terrain you want to drive (lots of hills or flat) and the power of the engine (two carbs and a mild cam, dual exhaust etc.). when deciding between 4:11 or 3:78 best to talk to people in the same boat for suggestions. Look at the final ratio in high and how the car performs without the Columbia
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
wga

A friend has a '39 Standard wagon, stock block with a rebore and mild cam. Runs two 97's with a Columbia, MSD ignition. Did 75 MPH on I5 here in California last year. No problems.