Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #41
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: Model T... all 12 volt all the time.

Ive got a T pal here thats into Jags and TRs. Im gonna see what he can come up with. Just remember... you can pick yer nose but ya cant pick yer family LOL...Got the flue last nite... first time in 4 years. Its a killer! ws
Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #42
dumb person

Upholstery shop scrap bin, black vinyl cut into strips and you glue a strip of string down the middle and fold the vinyl over and glue it making it whatever size you want i guess. Only because i thought it would look tidier and not rub the paint off as much (unless i totally misunderstand the purpose of the wood)

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #43
yachtsmanbill

Toyed with that idea too. Actually, you do this and sew the welting together. Ive got a really nice Pfaff 1 hp industrial sewing macine, but alas; no welting foot for it. Might still give it a try tho... ws

ebay guy sent me this yesterday... kind pricey

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350553573056...056%26_rdc%3D1
Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #44
Jack Innes

Here is another option & easily available;

http://www.spaenaur.com/pdf/sectionK/K11.pdf
Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #45
yachtsmanbill

Now yer cookin'! Ill be heading over to Retards tomorrow to have a look-see. Theres also a door place in town ; a tad more high end. Is that stuff usually a foam kinda gasket or an extruded PVC?

You know, I get a lotta help here from all the guys and I really appreciate that. I go across the hall and its Dry Ball Alley. Theres a guy that lurks here who built an engine stand. Ok Ok I build a lot of my own stuff too.... its all part of it. So the side plate sold by vendors that mounts on the water inlet is non adjustable and decidedly forward of center when the trans and pan is on. I made a comment about the factory using ice tongs between cylinders 3 # 4 for balance.
Next thing you know, the guy makes a two position bracket to overcome this obstacle and moves on to how he takes pictures of himself working. Ya gotta understand, the DBC (Dry Ball Club) never heard of a timer on a camera. Christ, most of the DBCs cant even spell! So now the guy changes the bracket like I said and I send over a pic of a heavy duty unit with a worm drive to rotate the whole motor, and keep it from getting away past center. Try and roll a 3000 lb Detroit by hand and see where it gets you. The DBCs would rather use 2x4s and screw jacks and maybe a block and tackle instead of something simple and effective. Theyd rather Rube Goldberg it! I never ever get any credit or thanks whatsoever from over there. DBCs would rather debate water pumps and oil weights. GEEZUZ. A little credit where credit is due goes a loooong way. Rant OVER ws

Dont take offence TMM its the pics above yours that got to me!

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 01-16-2013 at 06:43 PM.
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #46
Jack Innes

Bill, I think you will find the door gasket either rubber or some type of plastic. Maybe foam but in the cold north it would tend to freeze to the floor with nasty results.

Are those titanium 5/16" bolts in the water inlet holes on the mounted engine?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #47
yachtsmanbill

I sure hope not LOL! Theyd pull right out of those 7/16 threads!

Didnt have a chance to look around here today... the hospital in Green Bay called at 1300hrs to get Pat admitted. I had to drop her off at the door since Ive got the flu (FLUE haha) I didnt want to spread it inside the place or pick anything up since my resistance is so low. By 1600hrs she was getting prepped for an MRI.
My pal from Chicago called while I was driving to say he was at my house. He took one look at me and turned around and drove home! 200 miles!! ws
Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 AM   #48
dumb person

(slightly joking post that does not contribute all that much to the current discussion)
If you thought the guys across the hall were sometimes a bit odd (some are clever) check out some areas of fordbarn where they actually believe NewOldStock parts still exist, showing of their timelord skills are they? Life is a real a drag when you are stuck in the present.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Old 01-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #49
yachtsmanbill

THOSE THAT ARENT CLEVER ARE SLICK !

Theres a few sacks of dried goods reading this right now as well. Thred drift? It aint gonna happen on my threds cuz I speak my piece and so should you. Out of courtesy for the sites host, I do watch my language and politcal POVs. Thats where I draw the line. I can play the game well; ya see, I own a boat owners forum thats' by-laws expound being NON CENSORED. If it gets really gnarly, the thred gets moved to a "members only" section. We started that one since the boat forum we were on was owned and sponsored by a boat mfg corp and they were affraid of offending their sponsors. The 3 moderators there would delete posts of mine ad bono.
Soooo, with that being said, I had words across the hall over my comments to a snot nosed kid that came on, monopolized every thred and threatened to infect everyones computer with trojan viruses that would visit there. One day I had my share and told the little weenis off and all the phony reverends and preachers over there cast my soul into the pit of eternal damnation.
Wellll now... pretty cool so far eh? So heres the old guy living on a pension... stay with me here... I put an ad up for 2- 1935 wire wheels. for 20 freaking dollars. A guy PMs me and says he wants them. After I get the tires demounted for $5 each he says he still wants them. I ship them for like $30. He gets them and says "them holes is all wallered out". I tell him ship them back (at his cost) and Ill refund his lousy $20. His reply to that was "would I expect to pay for a box of dogshit if someone shipped it to me?" I replied with a picture of a tube of KY jelly and said dont forget to use this on the next victim. Ol' peckerwood was probably tryin' ta hit the juice bottle from downwind and got somma that thar kodiak jiuce in his eyes.
Next thing the moderator here beats me up for sending off color comments to fellow members blah blah blah. Like my world came crashing to an end... OH THE HUMANITY... ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiAT9xvTVKI

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 01-17-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #50
dumb person

Real people
"It's worn/broken"
"Then mend it, (really helpful tip you would not find in most books)"

Really old fuddy duddies
"It's worn/broken"
"Then go find a new old stock one"

"Oh look that car has the wrong knurling on the steering box cover and a phillips head screw showing it's not even good for parts throw it away how dare they sell that on ebay".

Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #51
yachtsmanbill

THAT right there is where they and I part ways! Ive been T ing for better than 50 years and the goal where I came from was to keep them running. Put a couple of starters together to make a good one, make yer own gaskets; no wait! Place a $2000 order of chinese garbage and make it fit. Thats OK but dont you dare take a file to a warped cylinder head because its leaking! ws
Old 01-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #52
yachtsmanbill

WOW... what a day. Pat called at 0700 and said shes ready to come home so I peeled out at 0900 to pick her up. We had about an inch of snow but the hawk was a howling and produced black ice on 43 into Green bay. No problems going up but coming home doing 55 in a 65 zone I got slicked out twice on the black ice. Going straight, no curves, no funny business, just all of a sudden spinning 90 degrees to port AND starboard. One second each time and it was over. Scared the crap out of both of us !! Got the gal-pal home and bedded her down for a few weeks of R&R before I put her back to work. Ultimately, they opened her up and found a detached piece of disc wedged into the nerve bundle at L5 and S1. A few more days and it couldve been irreversable damage. Then Id have to do all the snow shoveling and garden turning not to mention the regular stuff like shopping, cooking and laundry etc...She does really appreciate the way I look after her! A little gratitude goes a long way dont it??
A few more days and I can get back into the shop, then itll be spring and I can start on the darned ol' boat! ws
Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #53
yachtsmanbill

Finally falling back into the "normal" category and will attempt some shop time tomorrow. All I can say is the flu kicked booty this time and its been 4 years since I had it. Still having a hard time reading of all things; like I am cross eyed or something. If you guys get it, dont fight it. Just give in and deal with it. Seven days so far as of tomorrow.
Pats doing much better and is walking to stay limber, but still kinda worn out. Its hell getting old aint it? That old shop floor is gonna be a cold'un tomorrow. May hafta wear the snow boots out there! ws
Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 AM   #54
dumb person

To be fair, what i do understand of your posts is often quite disturbing so i can only imagine how competent people who know what you speak of see them.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #55
yachtsmanbill

Ya know Mike, in 3rd grade my teacher used to extole my use of descriptive adjectives and a "most colorful" interpretation of an otherwise difficult situation to picture or percieve mentally. How cool is that?
I dont get what part you find disturbing though... and as for competencies, they come in coffee sized cans ranging from "grasping at the bottom rung of the ladder of evolution" all the way to "brain surgery" all tempered with left handed humor and a bit of artistic sarcasm. They all have peel away tops so no can opener is needed.

"Fear not thy brother for he is the keeper of the Masters' house..." ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsswIRkAjfU

Blimey! A bunch of swagmen with no billybag??? Probably wishing for a coolibah t' wait by for the sun to pass...

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 01-21-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #56
jackdaron

I think a good worm shot would help...
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #57
yachtsmanbill

A shot for the radiator, DP in the SP, or the aborigines on the road side? Better yet for me??

I love the taste of Mezcal in the morning; it tastes like... victory. ws
Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #58
Jack Innes

Does the fellow smashing the battery not look like a very tanned RED GREEN?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #59
yachtsmanbill

I didnt pay that close attention... I was amazed at the foundry technique and what they used for flux. Even filling with lead the stuff still needs to be cleaned no? Maybe the phosphate residue on the plates was used in place of a phosphate flux. ws
Old 01-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #60
yachtsmanbill

It keeps getting better! Thanks to SP-DP!! ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESwGyrCMKmg