Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
flatjack9

Default oil distribution tube

Just got an engine in for rebuild. Starting disassembly and found a mouse house in the valley. Got all cleaned out and there is a hole rusted thru the oil distribution tube. I think they are threaded in the block. Has anyone replaced one and if so how? Thanks, Jack
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
JWL
Member Emeritus

Default Re: oil distribution tube

If you look in my book you will see what they look like and how they are expanded to fit tightly in the block. They can be removed with a slide hammer.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
flatjack9

Thanks, I didn't think to look in your book. God knows I've read it often enough, but don't always remember where I've seen things. Jack
Old 02-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
trainguy

What sex was the mouse,just wondering?
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
If you look in my book you will see what they look like and how they are expanded to fit tightly in the block. They can be removed with a slide hammer.
Found it. In the parts book it looked as if the tube was threaded. Haven't tried yet, but it looks like maybe a 1/2 tap might work?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
Ol' Ron

Racing engines some times run the oil into the bottom of the main cape and plug off the oil tube and lubricate the cam bearings with smaller holes from the maind. Makes sense if tour running excessive bearing clearances. I also have a block with a bad oil yube, wonder where you'd get a new one? Job lot?
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
Mac VP

The tubes are not available in the aftermarket....unless some piping mfr has that particular size available. The old pipe can be removed by by tapping threads in the front, and using a slide hammer with the pulling head of the same threads. The pipe is sort of an interference fit in the block. Save these from your otherwise scrap blocks by the same process, and you'll have a replacement available.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #8
s nichols

i have a block like that --some lifters were even rusted throught from mouse piss!! i was going to scrap it as i didnt trust it???? dont know if you could get it apart????maybe it could be saved (dont have time to piss with it now) didnt know how to take that tube out
s nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #9
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
The tubes are not available in the aftermarket....unless some piping mfr has that particular size available. The old pipe can be removed by by tapping threads in the front, and using a slide hammer with the pulling head of the same threads. The pipe is sort of an interference fit in the block. Save these from your otherwise scrap blocks by the same process, and you'll have a replacement available.
Good to know. I've got some old blocks that I can salvage them from.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #10
Karl Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Found it. In the parts book it looked as if the tube was threaded. Haven't tried yet, but it looks like maybe a 1/2 tap might work?
There are threads there already,
It's !/8" pipe... I took a pipe die and threaded on a bolt- Probably 7/16". You'll want to grind a taper on the bolt so as to make the start for the die easy...

And, like someone said- use a slide hammer...

When you go to drive the replacement tube in, use a marker to show the top of the tube- to orient the oil holes

I've pulled a couple of them...

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #11
Karl Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by s nichols View Post
i have a block like that --some lifters were even rusted throught from mouse piss!! i was going to scrap it as i didnt trust it???? dont know if you could get it apart????maybe it could be saved (dont have time to piss with it now) didnt know how to take that tube out
I have a block like that... It's real nice except as a result of mouse activity the valley area was a real mess...
The oil tube was almost completely gone, I took out the lifters with some major hammer hits, so much so that I broke out some of the lifter guide parts of the block...

Just to see if I could, I sawed up a couple of wheel cylinders (They're 1", just like the lifters) AND welded the pieces in place with nickel rod... Have not built this engine yet, If I do it'll have to be a keeper...

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Just got an engine in for rebuild. Starting disassembly and found a mouse house in the valley. Got all cleaned out and there is a hole rusted thru the oil distribution tube. I think they are threaded in the block. Has anyone replaced one and if so how? Thanks, Jack
Hi Jack, at a quick glance it appears to be threads but they aren't! They are simply straight "knurls" and if you attempt to "drive" it out you risk ruining the casting.

I put a shot below, it's not an easy procedure removing that tube. I've never had the need to attempt it. Judging by the I.D. I might attempt installing a new tube inside that original. It has almost a 3/8" I.D.

(Add) One other note, the feed hole for the main is NOT in the center of the tube, this means there is a "front" and "rear" when installed even though the tube looks reversible??

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. You can see the "knurls" on the tube. If you do manage to remove the old one and install any replacement be careful of the oil feed hole to the center main. Notice the "deep" marks in the broken piece? That is the part of the block above the tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Block Oil Tube B.JPG (57.5 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by GOSFAST; 02-25-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Add info
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
flatjack9

I'm not going to attempt changing the tube until I've determined the block is good. JWL has a good picture and description of the tube in his book.