Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #61
[email protected]

Default Re: my 1925 tudor project thread

I hear ya, in regards to the financials. I don't think I can avoid a trip out to the shop today. I want to make some progress. Probably bead blast the rest of the parts and start checking clearances. I'm going to have to get busy the magnets too.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #62
fordman67

Keep up the good fight my friend! I hope to get some small pieces blasted tomorrow and the body horse built at least.Would like to get some work done on the body but will have to see how the day goes.I have a sick wife and a 2 1/2 yr old to work schedule around...
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #63
[email protected]

fordman67, I'm hoping your wife's illness isn't anything serious. And a 2 1/2 year old child can really be a handful. I remember those days very well. They were without a doubt the most difficult and busiest times of my life.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #64
fordman67

Thanks,The wife just has a sinus infection and general lousy feeling. I hope it not serious...that little gal is too much handful for me by myself. But the little one wants to help on the model t tomorrow after her nap. I cant wait to get her into the hobby...she first rode on my M farmall at 8 weeks.That will teach mommy to leave her home with daddy when he is ready for the maiden voyage of his new toy.

Now to business. I got the body fixture for the body built and the body up on it and a better look at the wood. I am at an impass on my situation.I was hoping to not replace any wood. However the pass sill is rotten,rear window frame,pass "a" pillar shot,both "b" pillars split,reat vertical"bows" behind seat missing,belt wood poor replacements.....in all 975$ worth of repair parts...I am down in the dumps...975 might as well be a million dollars right now. I guess I need to get some side work going to earn some parts money.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #65
dumb person

Not sure what your skills are like but i replaced some wood in a car the other day. Started out looking difficult but got easier as i went. If you have a few tools like a saw, glue, a basic drill and a wood chisel you probably have enough to work the wood into the shape you need so if you have the time you might be able to save yourself quite a bit of money.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:02 AM   #66
[email protected]

I hate to admit it but my touring needs a lot of the wood replaced. i noticed the other day the sills are soft. I will be parking it in the shop all the time I own it but that's still not a guarantee it won't get wet. Perhaps it'll be due for a teardown and a complete restore in a few years. Currently money and ambition are issues.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #67
yachtsmanbill

Look over yer shoulder and make sure the damn judges arent looking (!) On the boats, we've used "Git-Rot" which is a thin epoxy thats injected into the wood with a hypo.
If ya wanna replace the wood, get a $75 throw away bandsaw from harbor freight and make your own! Just think of all the charcoal that came outa the factory! Those guys werent using cad-cam back then... it was ALL by hand! ws

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...rot&match_type=

This one of the marine fastener suppliers Ive used for the last 30+ years!
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #68
fordman67

Bill,a friend of mine suggested the git rot also.I would do it on the rear window frame.The pass sill is rotten and it was two pieces when henry built it.Unfortunately it is coming unlaminated.I suppuse if I removed it,repaired it and reinstalled it I might be able to salvage it.My dad(if I can get him to help) is outstanding w wood and I know another guy that is phenomenal w wood.The second builds 50000$ custom kitchens and is second to none.He built me a set of running boards for a 29 reo cloud.What a shame to cover them w matting.I just don't think he will save me any money compared to the ford wood.com

Last edited by fordman67; 03-12-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #69
fordman67

The "a" and "b" pillars scare me because of door fitiment. Then there is the belt piece around the rear.I don't have much of a pattern since it is someones poor rendition.And that is only 111 I think. The main sill @313 is prob the worst money wise but also so much of the structure.I simply must remove and repair I guess.Get Gitrot!
Old 01-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #70
fordman67

Well, Frame and front suspension pieces should come back from powder this week. Chemical dipped parts maybe next week . Hopefully I can get the ol shop cleaned up from sidejob today and the two c-6's built and the T interior safely stashed tomorrow...Temp is finally getting cold here so I think I might just like to park my daily driver inside the garage for once.

Also maybe get rear end torn down for check out and set up an electalisys tank for cleaning front springs and small other parts.I will post up pics if I get anything accomplished haha

Aaron
Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #71
fordman67

First, I got my wood guy over here the other night. He gave me a price on redoing most all of my wood. Ok,so that i can afford. I know he will do an absoulute great job on. That is a good sign. However I am a bit unsure about how to go further. Basically I am going to have to completely disassemble the whole body,give it to him in pieces and then reassemble...The only hitch is my headliner...it is nice...and the top is nice.Hope I can save both...I would never thought I would have this apart so far when I bought it....LORD help me! This may be a challenge...
Old 01-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #72
Jack Innes

A friend once had a good wood worker make all of the wood for a 1930 Durrant. The work was beautiful but the measurements all did not allow for metal thickness. The man who installed the wood is no longer with us & probably is still trying to repent for the language he came up with by the time the car was together.
It is not likely to happen but worth keeping in mind.
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #73
fordman67

Thanks Jack. I most cetainly hope that is not how it goes. This fello completly rewooded my friends 1911 electric van and you really should see it. I think it willbe ok.Just getting nervous about how far I am getting ready to tear this thing apart...OH well I guess...them guys that built it werent building rocket ships...
Old 01-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #74
yachtsmanbill

TRUST ME!! Take lots of pictures! Digital film is cheap and so's the processing. Do a lot of close-ups of stoopid stuff like even door hinges and bracketry. Dont forget to post them here. Once you start, stay with it. Dedicate a year to it and if youre done in 6 months yer money ahead (!). ws

I also use those paint type magic markers, with numbers or arrows or whatever for re-assembly. Comes right off with thinner. ws
Old 01-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #75
fordman67

Yea,DIgital is so much better than ol 35mm. I DO need to get started on this.
Kinda distracted with family and side work(to finance this project)...AND I have come up with a deal on a pair of dana60 axles for my cummins diesel project. I need to just keep my eye on the ball with this T. I will forge on!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #76
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman67 View Post
Yea,DIgital is so much better than ol 35mm. I DO need to get started on this.
Kinda distracted with family and side work(to finance this project)...AND I have come up with a deal on a pair of dana60 axles for my cummins diesel project. I need to just keep my eye on the ball with this T. I will forge on!
Been thru it. Worked midnight till noon for five years. Meanwhile trying help my wife get thru school, while changing diapers, heating formula for my daughter and trying to convince my 2 year old son that sweet potatoes belonged in his gut and not in his hair. And all the time I'm doing all this I'm also putting my '56 Nomad through a rebuild. The '56 was finished but it took a long time. By the time I was finished I was sick of it and it went down the road. I remember putting in the headliner on a hot day and sweating and wanting to get it done. Before the day was over I'd managed to put a phillips screwdriver right thru the fabric. It was a small hole and next the to slanted post on the side, but I still wake up screaming in the middle of the night. About 6 years ago, the kids had moved out and my wife and I were working normal hours and making some excellent money. We restored our '38 Ford pickup and took 3 years to do it. We were working in a brand new shop and with mostly new tools. If we needed something we simply went and got it. Since finishing the truck we've entered it in probably 25 shows and have about 21 first place trophies and a couple of second places. I wish life could be like that now. Problem is she gave up her marriage for her profession and bought a partnership into the business. Now she's back putting in the long hours and I'm living in my own house on a fixed income. But it was well worth the change.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #77
[email protected]

And yes she kept the '38, the house and everything except my clothes and my tools. Oh and my mothers old beatup guitar.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #78
yachtsmanbill

Finish up that Model T and youll have yerself a guaranteed babe magnet. Just sometimes they need a little coaching! ws

Old 01-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #79
yachtsmanbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
And yes she kept the '38, the house and everything except my clothes and my tools. Oh and my mothers old beatup guitar.
Kept it??? I wouldve given her the .38 I was never any good at punctuatificating.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #80
[email protected]

punctuatificating???? When I was a kid my Dad told me doing it would cause me to go blind!!!!