Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2023, 03:41 AM   #1
dave in australia

Default RHD pedal question

Who here has the round clutch and brake pedals that are smooth, and I don't mean worn smooth, but smooth from new. Are they from late month multi plate clutch, early single plate clutch, or later single plate clutch. I have one set of smooth rounds, amongst many sets of ribbed rounds, and I am trying to determine where they fall chronologically.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 05:09 AM   #2
john charlton

Default Re: RHD pedal question

The RHD cars I have seen with the multidisc have smooth round pedals The English hand book shows smooth pedals . I have not seen ribbed pedals on a multidisc . RHD multidisc pedals do not interchange with the single plate clutch pedals.

John in sunny morning Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 07:09 AM   #3
dave in australia

Did the round multidisc pedals have a 7/8" shaft, or a 1" shaft like the single plate clutches?
Old 04-30-2023, 10:38 AM   #4
rackops

The prescribed pedals for the multidisk clutch are AF-2455-AR (brake) and AF-7520-AR (clutch). Those are oval and ribbed. The round and ribbed are AF 2455-B and AF-7520-B.

I realize that's not very helpful, but I thought it would be good as a reference.

I have heard of smooth-faced round and smooth-faced oval pedals, but I have yet to find any nor do I know when exactly they were used.
rackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 10:54 AM   #5
rackops

I took a measurement of the one RHD multidisk clutch housing I have, and the shaft is 1". I was kind of surprised that it was, as the LHD multidisk clutch housings have a .75" shaft (have a few of those and measured). So, it appears that the RHD pedals (both part numbers) can be used interchangeably on clutch housings.

If I'm incorrect, please let me know...just so happens that I have all the parts laid out here and if they're the wrong ones...the search continues!
Old 04-30-2023, 10:56 AM   #6
rackops

Oh, I should probably note that the above part numbers came from an Australian Ford parts catalog (dated 1936) so I don't know if they are applicable to all Ford vehicles worldwide (I'd assume they are, but???)
Old 04-30-2023, 12:02 PM   #7
Floats

For interest.
My 28 RHD South African assembled RPU has round grooved pedals of a little over 60mm or just over 2”. The shafts are elongated 10mm by 20mm approx. half in by 3/4 in.
Regards
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 02:10 PM   #8
rackops

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackops View Post
The prescribed pedals for the multidisk clutch are AF-2455-AR (brake) and AF-7520-AR (clutch). Those are oval and ribbed. The round and ribbed are AF 2455-B and AF-7520-B.

I realize that's not very helpful, but I thought it would be good as a reference.

I have heard of smooth-faced round and smooth-faced oval pedals, but I have yet to find any nor do I know when exactly they were used.
Just found where I read about the flat faced pedals...in Les Pearson's book on the RHD Model A, he says "Some pictures have been found of "Early Cars" with round "flat faced" pedals." No photos of them though...
Old 05-01-2023, 03:38 AM   #9
dave in australia

So, it looks like I have a few sets of oval multiplate clutch pedals, a set of smooth round multiplate clutch pedals, a set of ribbed round multiplate clutch pedals, and many sets of ribbed round single plate clutch pedals.
Old 05-01-2023, 03:08 PM   #10
rackops

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in australia View Post
So, it looks like I have a few sets of oval multiplate clutch pedals, a set of smooth round multiplate clutch pedals, a set of ribbed round multiplate clutch pedals, and many sets of ribbed round single plate clutch pedals.
Interesting! Do the smooth, round pedals have part numbers on them?
Old 05-01-2023, 05:54 PM   #11
Synchro909

I've always heard that cars with multi plate clutches had oval shaped pedals and I've never seen anything to contradict it. Single plate clutches used round, grooved pedals. Again, I've not seen any original pedals to contradict that.
On another note but related, I don't know how many RHD owners have been caught out buying from a US vendor only to find their parts useless. Parts like, lower bell housing shaft and the lever that goes on it, pedal bushings throttle linkages etc.
Old 05-01-2023, 06:42 PM   #12
quickchange

I have a collection of RHD pedals with approx dates which i showed at recent national meet in Methvan NZ & yes late multidisk clutch had smooth round pedals , there is 6 variances ,Hoping to submit to the restorer a write up with pictures when back home later this month ,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:08 PM   #13
marty in Ohio

I don't mean to capture this thread, but I've never seen a RHD car. Is the clutch on the left and the gas pedal on the right?
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:41 PM   #14
Wagga A'er

In Australia Clutch is on left and accelerator pedal (gas Pedal) is between the clutch and brake.
Wagga A'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:07 PM   #15
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagga A'er View Post
In Australia Clutch is on left and accelerator pedal (gas Pedal) is between the clutch and brake.
I find that configuration makes for easier downshifting while braking. It is a "heel and toe" action which is more natural than the way a driver has to contort his leg in a LHD car. Ball of the right foot on the brake and heel on the throttle. As with any down shifting and a non synchro gearbox, it takes practice but once mastered, far superior, IMO.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:46 AM   #16
rackops

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty in Ohio View Post
I don't mean to capture this thread, but I've never seen a RHD car. Is the clutch on the left and the gas pedal on the right?
Marty
Here's what mine looks like. It should have the oval pedals (it will have them when the restoration is done) but this is the layout for an early car. Starter is on the far left, clutch, then accelerator, then foot rest and brake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2023-05-02_07-45-23.jpg (57.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 05-02-2023, 07:57 AM   #17
Floats

I have a 29 RHD Chevy, also with the gas pedal in the middle and I have seen an early RHD Mercedes also with the gas pedal in the middle. I believe because of the narrowing of the nose (boat like shape) section, there is not enough space on the right for the excelerator pedal.
It is amazing how quick you get used to it. A bit like owning and driving manual and auto transmission and LHD & RHD cars. After a while you are so used to the different configurations, you never get mixed up or have to look down before driving off. Similarly with flying an aircraft from the left or right or single seat.
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote