Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2023, 10:57 AM   #1
Richard in Anaheim CA

Angry Ripoff scam

We’re seeing lately on Ford barn that our familiar friendly and trusty friends have been infiltrated with liars, thieves and scammers.
1. June 12, I posted a wanted ad for Brumfield 7:1 head. Almost immediately
Ford barn member JEWOTE6486 sent me a PM “Contact [email protected] They have what you need.

2. Jun 13 emailed [email protected] Negotiated a price of $450 including shipping by FedEx. They wanted payment by Venmo or Zelle. I don’t do those direct from my bank account transactions. I sent them my address and they said to notify them as soon as I sent verified funds so they could ship the head.

3. Jun 14 I sent a “cashier check” for $450 to VIVIAN ADER 45386 MONTMORENCY DR. MACOMB MI48044. It was sent USPS PRIORITY MAIL WITH TRACKING. I emailed them at that time with tracking info. Jun Check was delivered Jun 17 at 11:43 AM.

4. Jun 20 I contacted them to see if head had shipped. They replied “They were waiting for check to clear”. Cashier checks are same as cash pay to bearer.

5. Repeated emails to them resulted with answer “tracking number will be available today. A Fordbarn PM to JEWOTE6486 AND HE ANSWERED “I BUY PARTS FROM THEM. They are legit. Wait a couple more days”. I checked on Fordbarn and I was his “2 post. Since them I have checked my PM’s and all his PM’s to me have vanished. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 11:12 AM   #2
WHN

Default Re: Ripoff scam

Just a note on Cashier’s Checks.

If your a seller. They can come back and bite you. If they don’t clear Federal Reserve.

I always wait until my bank advises me that the check has cleared before sending out material or giving car to shipper. Can take 5 to 7 days.

There are fake Cashier’s Checks out there.

Be careful.

Last edited by WHN; 07-10-2023 at 02:28 PM.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 11:52 AM   #3
Oldbluoval

Sounds like you’ve been “had”…..
Hope not
I’ve gotten to where i don’t deal with unknown parties on purchases.
If selling, I wait 7 banking days after deposit/cashing check before goods leave.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 12:34 PM   #4
WTSHNN

Yeah. That's a scam.
Old 07-10-2023, 12:41 PM   #5
Ryan
Administrator

So sorry that happened to you man. Just sucks. In the future, never pay for anything online without using a form of payment that includes protection. I prefer PayPal.

And never send checks of any kind to someone you don't know personally.
Old 07-10-2023, 01:12 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Richard, here is past thread mentioning jewote6486 https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ght=JEWOTE6486, I'm sure there were more.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-10-2023 at 05:47 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 01:14 PM   #7
Brentwood Bob

Have had several offers to buy shocks, not specifying what year, but where to send the cashiers check. If I don't get a phone call, that ends the dialog. Incorrect English not withstanding.
PayPal does work, but a USPMO is preferred.

Last edited by Brentwood Bob; 07-10-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 01:49 PM   #8
51504bat

99% of the time when you get a message to contact someone at a different email address after posting a wanted ad it's a scam. Always use PayPal (not Friends and Family) unless you're sure of the person you're dealing with. JMO
Old 07-10-2023, 01:51 PM   #9
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
PayPal does work.
As long as you don't use friends & family (which is sending cash with no recourse) and make sure you operate within their time frame. Some scammers like to run out the clock by telling you shipping in "just another couple days" taking you past the time you can file a claim with PayPal.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 02:09 PM   #10
Richard in Anaheim CA

YBLOCK SENT ME THIS AND GUESS WHAT SAME FORDBARN MEMBER THAT JWOT6486 RECOMMENDED, OR IS THIS THEFT WAS DOING IT IN 2022 USING SIMILAR EMAIL NUMBER.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:04 PM #7
amclass

Default Re: Scam Alert ... Scott Domongoe
Yeah, I talked to him on the phone and he told me a story about his dad's Roadster and that he passed and he now has to clean out the garage ... bla bla. And he knew what he was talking about, since he was talking Model A. That makes people think, he is "one of us" ... if I may say so. Watch out guys ... he uses a burner phone, doesn't do email and demands cash. He is smart and can talk and the deals he is going to offer you sound fair. We aware and asked for more information.

@ 51504bat: Funny, I thought so to. The same day I got a phone call from the scammer, I placed another WTB post. Right away I got an pm from the member jewote6486, who signed up at Fordbarn the very same day I posted my WTB add. How come, that he just signed up at Fordbarn and was able to sent me a pm and having 0 posts of his own? So, how does this guy did it? Can someone please wake up the admin ...

Anyway, he has given me an outside email address ([email protected]) to contact. I checked this email address and the IP-address and it turn out, that his IP has 19 fake email addresses created by him ...
Last edited by amclass; 09-15-2022 at 04:13 AM.
amclass is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

ANY SUGGESTONS HOW TO STOP THIS GUY ? HELP ME
Old 07-10-2023, 02:39 PM   #11
Ryan
Administrator

There really isn’t a way to stop a determined thief like this. All you can do is protect yourself by only using protected forms of payment as I mentioned above. They always find a way…

For instance, this guy had the patience to create an account over a year ago, make ten relevant posts in order to gain access to the pm system, and then scam people.

If you are willing to put in the time and effort, I would suggest calling the police… in the past, I’ve done this myself. It took over 100 hours of my time and lots of frustration, but I actually got the guy arrested. I’d be willing to help with IP addresses and server logs as needed by the police.
Old 07-10-2023, 03:33 PM   #12
Ordsgt

I had posted an ad in Ford Barn looking for fenders and got an PM from a member(less than 30 days since joining) who gave me another email for someone who had some. I will try to shorten the story, I contacted him and he quoted me $250 for the pair of front fenders that were in very good description and matched the pictures he had sent. He was in Georgia and stated he could UPS the pair for $64 from Georgia to Virginia. Pictures and price too good to be true and The shipping costs were so unrealistic I didn't pursue it any further
Ordsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 08:25 PM   #13
Lanny

Ryan, thanks for offering your help to send IP addresses to police if needed.

Old 07-10-2023, 09:00 PM   #14
Chris Haynes

Always ask for a picture with them holding it.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:11 PM   #15
Jim/GA

I always tell them that I will be traveling to their area next week to visit relatives. "I will just stop by with the cash and take the parts with me. Save on shipping. Less risk to you." Scammers backpedal from that proposed deal really fast. Legit sellers are like "come on down!".
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 10:48 PM   #16
trulyvintage

Exclamation Red Flags

Red Flags:

If you place a “ WTB “ and are contacted immediately
by email - text message - pm thru a public forum.

If the price of the item is below fair market value.

If the price automatically includes shipping.

If you cannot talk to the Seller on the phone.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 11:36 PM   #17
1928 Sport Coupe

On June 27th I placed a Wanted ad for assist straps and Electric wiper motor idler gears for my 30 Town Sedan. I got a reply from Ford barn member JEWOTE6486 with this same message “Contact [email protected] They have what you need. I contacted them an they sent an image of assist straps that did not fit my car. I told them it was wrong and they replied they would take the assist straps from a 1930 Town Sedan they were parting out because the engine had flaws. I ask for pictures but never received them. They kept asking for my address, but I did not give it to them. I also noticed that JEWOTE6486 had only a few posts. I also wondered how he was able to PM me. I found on the internet that [email protected] was associated with scammers. I reported this to the moderator and have heard nothing sense from them.
I have received a reply about the wiper gears that seems to be good.
1928 Sport Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 12:34 AM   #18
Lawrie

Richard, sorry to hear that you got ripped off, shame , We could have paid him a visit when I was at your place and given him some Aussie justice.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 01:05 AM   #19
30forfun

New to the group, Thanks for sharing, Very Sad people have to do such things. I am really enjoying scouring the post's alot of great Model A history/idea's/Insight's
30forfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 07:25 AM   #20
Model "A" Fords

[QUOTE=Richard in Anaheim CA;2239412]We’re seeing lately on Ford barn that our familiar friendly and trusty friends have been infiltrated with liars, thieves and scammers.

I posted a w/a for an original reddish brown fan belt. A reply came saying we have the original reddish brown belts. Where are you located? email [email protected]. I asked for photos and received one showing a belt with Battlefields catalogue in the background. I mistakenly assumed I was dealing with Battlefield and in their eBay's store where extra photos I thought seemed correct. I ordered three belts which came in Black.
I contacted Battlefield and their reply said reddish brown belts are not made and that they are black in the photo and may have looked a bit reddish brown but never advertised or said otherwise. I went back to the original email and realized my mistake and that the scammer stole Battlefields photo. I set things straight with Battlefield and was glad I didn't deal with the thief.
Battlefield were good to deal with and had sent what I actually ordered by mistake. I now have belts and will attempt to make them look like I want.
Scams are a real threat!
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 08:55 PM   #21
Richard in Anaheim CA

UPDATE
AT LEAST 5 of us on Fordbarn have been scammed by these people, maybe more.
Various aliases (Fordbarn) JEWOTE6486. (internet) [email protected].

My cashier check for $450 was deposited 6/18 to an internet mobile chk acct by VIVIAN ADER
45386 MONTMORENCY DR.
MACOMB MI 48044

[I]Maybe if Vivian received a whole lot of short NON Threatening letters they would move on. Suggestion letter

Dear Vivian, There are thousands of Fordbarn members[and we all have your correct name, address/ and email.I]Perhaps this will fade away if you return Richards $450
Old 07-13-2023, 07:00 AM   #22
Oldbluoval

Richard…
These scammers are a moving target. Peeling back the onion results in no onion.
They just change names, addresses, etc so they vanish in the night.if you research the name Vivian Ader, that’s been linked to scams as far back as early 2022.
If anyone gets a recommendation to check with a third party….stop there! That’s been a dead giveaway in the past
Sad situation.

Last edited by Oldbluoval; 07-13-2023 at 07:23 AM.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote