Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2023, 01:14 PM   #1
Terry Burtz, Calif

Default New Engine Update

The "Builders Guide" found at www.modelaengine.com has been revised. The latest revision dated 30 March 2023 includes the following changes:
Section 5), Recommendations Regarding Adhesives and Sealants, Added a warning about using acetone instead of kerosene, diesel, paint thinner, or other oily solvents to clean surfaces where sealants, adhesives, and epoxies will be applied.
Section 7), Oil Passage Plugs, Added pictures and a description of a button head screw and washer from McMaster Carr that can be used as a rear main oil galley plug for those not building an engine for a "points car".
Section 7), Main Bearing Studs, Replaced a photo with a drawing showing the o-ring groove in the main bearing studs for mains 1 & 3 that could be used with a Viton o-ring for sealing the studs to the cylinder block. The drawing dimensions are in mm.
Section 7), Pistons and Rings, Added a sentence that the "New Engine" cylinder wall cross-hatching is correct for thin piston rings and the cylinder wall cross-hatching should be coarser if the original wide piston rings are chosen.
Section 7), Valves, Added a picture of a valve showing the correct location and width of the contact area where the valve face meets the valve seat.
Section 7), Valves, Added a paragraph about using exhaust valve rotators for extended life along with part numbers.
Section 7), Head Gaskets, Recommended the Best 509C head gasket for heads that are not flat.
Section 12), Optional Flywheel, Added pictures of the not recommended tractor 8N-7563 and the recommended V-8 Ford 09A-7563 pressure plates.
Section 12), Optional Flywheel, Added a source for the new 09A-7563 pressure plates that are $69 and correctly balanced.
Section 12), Optional Flywheel, Added a paragraph regarding pressure plate attachment bolts including problems with ARP and Pioneer bolts.
Section 18), Education, Resources, and Making a Decision, Additional builders have been added and more information about current builders has been added.
Several other minor changes were made for clarity.

The "Builders Guide" is an evolving document and I ask engine builders with comments to contact me at [email protected] so their comments can be used to improve the "Builders Guide".

John Lampl and I will be at The Santa Maria CCRG meet where I will present a seminar and attendees will be able to purchase the "New Engine", Head, Camshaft, and Flywheel at "Event" pricing, and save on shipping if shipped to one location.

We will be at the MARC National Meet in Hamilton, Ohio at the end of July 2023 where I will present a seminar on the "New Engine" and again "Event" pricing will be available to registrants.
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 08:00 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: New Engine Update

Thank you for the updated instructions.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:39 AM   #3
old31

Terry, thank you.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 11:42 AM   #4
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning Terry...Just curious...How many engines have you guys manufactured so for? Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote