Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2023, 07:16 PM   #1
kirkf

Default 1940 Pickup Firewall

Attached is a picture of my 1940 Pickup Firewall. (This is a Canadian Truck)
It's different than any other 1940 or 1941 firewall picture I've found so far.

This firewall was hacked up by the previous owner who was trying to shove a big block dodge motor into the truck.
Sheet metal on the passenger side from the battery mount down was missing, and has been replaced. (without the strengthening beads being quite the same)
On the drivers side, in the same area we had the original piece of metal and put it back in place.

-This firewall has the upper drivers side strengthening bead go under the voltage regulator. All other firewall pictures I have found this bead stops before the regulator so the regulator can sit on a flat surface.

The wiring cover (kidney) sits in a completely different location from the other truck firewalls I have found. The holes for the kidney are original.

up to the left of the kidney you can see where I marked in white where the wiring loom hole is supposed to be (it accidentally got filled in by the metal working guy)

Questions:

1. Do you think Ford put any type of spacer between the regulator and the firewall to keep it off the strengthening bead, or did they just screw it down and not care it was hinging on the bead?

2. How do you think they got the wiring through that kidney cover? It seems tight between the wire loom hole to get over to the top of the kidney?

3. There are two holes above the accelerator bracket, any idea what they would have been for?

4. What type of fasteners did they use on the kidney cover? Self tapping screws or nut & bolt?

5. What type of fasteners did they use on the accelerator cover? Self tapping screws or nut & bolt?

6. Does anyone have a picture that shows where the heater was mounted on the passenger side?

7. The number P1569 is stamped in the firewall, does anyone know what it means?

8. Does anyone have any reference as to where the starter solenoid would be mounted (hole locations from top of firewall and left side of firewall would be great)

Thanx!

Kirk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2023-02-05 12.43.10 (Medium).jpg (67.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 2023-02-05 12.49.20_KIRK.jpg (80.4 KB, 101 views)
kirkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:08 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: 1940 Pickup Firewall

The wire kidney on my '41 pickup was held on with sheetmetal screws.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:59 PM   #3
1942deluxe

The holes above the accelerator spring look like heater outlet holes?
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:36 PM   #4
kirkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942deluxe View Post
The holes above the accelerator spring look like heater outlet holes?
I was thinking that as well, but it seems like an odd spot to put the heater.
The 3 door heaters I have put both pipes right by each other, not across like that, but who knows what heater might have been in there.

Kirk

Last edited by kirkf; 02-05-2023 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:04 AM   #5
dave collette

my 1940 Ford pickup truck has the whole above the throttle linkage as in the picture. Remember the Ford pickup truck heater is different than the car. The major difference is the mounting brackets and the water outlets are in different locations Also the truck heater has a brass drain plug on the inside of the cab. The exterior of the heater looks very similar to the car but otherwise it's a different animal.
dave collette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:05 AM   #6
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkf View Post
Attached is a picture of my 1940 Pickup Firewall. (This is a Canadian Truck)
It's different than any other 1940 or 1941 firewall picture I've found so far.

This firewall was hacked up by the previous owner who was trying to shove a big block dodge motor into the truck.
Sheet metal on the passenger side from the battery mount down was missing, and has been replaced. (without the strengthening beads being quite the same)
On the drivers side, in the same area we had the original piece of metal and put it back in place.

-This firewall has the upper drivers side strengthening bead go under the voltage regulator. All other firewall pictures I have found this bead stops before the regulator so the regulator can sit on a flat surface.

The wiring cover (kidney) sits in a completely different location from the other truck firewalls I have found. The holes for the kidney are original.

up to the left of the kidney you can see where I marked in white where the wiring loom hole is supposed to be (it accidentally got filled in by the metal working guy)

Questions:

1. Do you think Ford put any type of spacer between the regulator and the firewall to keep it off the strengthening bead, or did they just screw it down and not care it was hinging on the bead?

2. How do you think they got the wiring through that kidney cover? It seems tight between the wire loom hole to get over to the top of the kidney?

3. There are two holes above the accelerator bracket, any idea what they would have been for?

4. What type of fasteners did they use on the kidney cover? Self tapping screws or nut & bolt?

5. What type of fasteners did they use on the accelerator cover? Self tapping screws or nut & bolt?

6. Does anyone have a picture that shows where the heater was mounted on the passenger side?

7. The number P1569 is stamped in the firewall, does anyone know what it means?

8. Does anyone have any reference as to where the starter solenoid would be mounted (hole locations from top of firewall and left side of firewall would be great)

Thanx!

Kirk
Kirk, I'll address your individual questions this evening. For now, here's a photo that may help you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030238.jpg (60.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3934.jpg (43.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3926.jpg (45.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 02-06-2023, 09:39 AM   #7
Seth Swoboda

You can get all the correct fasteners in their correct finishes from Third Gen Automotive. They come in indvidually labled packages for easy installation. Convienence is an understatement.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:48 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave collette View Post
my 1940 Ford pickup truck has the whole above the throttle linkage as in the picture. Remember the Ford pickup truck heater is different than the car. The major difference is the mounting brackets and the water outlets are in different locations Also the truck heater has a brass drain plug on the inside of the cab. The exterior of the heater looks very similar to the car but otherwise it's a different animal.
Kirk, Dave is correct in regard to the heater. A proper '40 Pickup heater is quite difficult to source.
Note in the photo I'd previously posted, the painted firewall is prepared for a CORRECT heater.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:55 PM   #9
Mart

They did not use spacers, but there is not a bead where yours is. I cannot explain why yours has a bead there. If you want to keep the bead, you might want to use spacers.

I attach a pic of my starter solenoid. there is a non standard relay wedged underneath it. the pic also shows a non standard heater installation.

My truck is a survivor and many features may mot be original. I do think the regulator positioning is correct though, and while I am unsure of the type of solenoid, the holes appear to be factory. The relay is screwed into what appear to be alternative solenoid holes below the holes used for the solenoid. You can see the same holes in the pics posted by Kube.

My truck is a 41. the kidney shaped cover is missing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg regulator.jpg (78.5 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg solenoid.jpg (80.5 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by Mart; 02-06-2023 at 02:04 PM.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:36 PM   #10
Kube

Kirk, if your firewall is very early, it was designed to be used with the small, square regulator utilizing just two screws.
I have attached another photo of a proper 40 dash panel (firewall) that might help your research.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eng left aft.jpg (58.9 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-07-2023, 01:57 PM   #11
kirkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Kirk, if your firewall is very early, it was designed to be used with the small, square regulator utilizing just two screws.
I have attached another photo of a proper 40 dash panel (firewall) that might help your research.
That would make sense. I'm guessing this is an early cab, and that Ford shortened that drivers side strengthening bead early in production.
The regulator holes in mine show they used the standard 3 hole regulator. (No other holes in that location) but knowing Ford they didn't sweat it about bolting the regulator there anyways.

I noticed in your pictures you have an original cad plated regulator. Did you find an original or CAD plate one of the newer ones?

This truck has been in pieces for at least 40 years, and through several owners in that time.
In general i'm striving towards it looking like a 50s hotrod truck in the end. Largely stock, but slightly lowered with an 8BA engine.

Kirk