Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2017, 05:51 AM   #21
Mike

Default Re: Front end shimmy

Always check spring perch tapered nuts <2> spring shackles, steering column bolts along with what everyone else mentioned.

mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #22
namvetmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
MMMm shimmy or death wobble. Wishbone ball is the usual suspect. Is your's original style or the rubber ball type fix.

Original. I inspected it and it was round, no flat spots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
namvetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:59 AM   #23
namvetmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
The tie-rods are only part of the front components that can cause a shimmy. You still have something loose and that can be anything from the steering box thru the wheel bearings to alignment and anything in between.
How worn were your tie-rod end balls ? They wear oval shaped over the years and if worn much over about .015" should be replaced.

They looked okay, round, not oval shaped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
namvetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:13 AM   #24
Big hammer

I purchased a Datsun pick up from an individual that shook so hard above 45mph that dust would fall down from the headliner! A front wheel was bent, rotated it to the rear and all was good! I saved you reading the long story version because it wasn't an "A" :-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:21 AM   #25
raventrone

I purchased my 1931 S/W Fordor last June, and had a terrible shimmy at low speeds. I tightened the drag link which improved things slightly. When I noticed excessive wear on my brand new tires I questioned the toe in. Sure enough, it was 1 1/4"! Once that was fixed the shimmy disappeared completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
raventrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #26
larrys40

As Mitch said do a search for death wobble or front end shimmey .
I would NOT jump to conclusions about bent axles and such without addressing things like worn steering boxes , steering arms worn, loose, spindle bolt bushings, radius cap - do nit use the cast iron rubber ball type .. And as mentioned toe in check and adjust

There are many good previous posts out there. After rebuilding countless front axle assemblies you really need to go through all of it to make the car steer and handle as it should... This includes front brakes if they are shot as well.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #27
Terry, NJ

Laughingly called "Death Wobble" most of us are familiar with it at one time or another. It is very common. It's caused by looseness of some part OR PARTS, in the front end. Note I added a plural. Thats because It can be more than just your kingpins or your steering balls.
The best way to find it is to jack one wheel at a time and shake it and see what's going on down there. In one of my cars, it was the bushings at the ends of the springs, but I found the bad kingpin first. One expensive cause is a bad steering box. How much play is in the steering wheel? Ideally there should almost none. These can be adjusted. There are four adjustments. Much has been written about them so I won't repeat it here. If you can't adjust the play away, the box must be rebuilt. Good Luck! P.S. Your steering balls on the arms should be COMPLETELY Round at 1.000 dia, If they're out about a 1/32, file them back to round within .020. and start looking for replacements. More than that,and the balls must be drilled out and replaced.
Terry

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 05-11-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #28
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Laughingly called "Death Wobble" most of us are familiar with it at one time or another. It is very common. It's caused by looseness of some part OR PARTS, in the front end. Note I added a plural. Thats because It can be more than just your kingpins or your steering balls.
The best way to find it is to jack one wheel at a time and shake it and see what's going on down there. In one of my cars, it was the bushings at the ends of the springs, but I found the bad kingpin first. One expensive cause is a bad steering box. How much play is in the steering wheel? Ideally there should almost none. These can be adjusted. There are four adjustments. Much has been written about them so I won't repeat it here. If you can't adjust the play away, the box must be rebuilt. Good Luck! P.S. Your steering balls on the arms should be COMPLETELY Round at 1.000 dia, If they're out about a 1/32, file them back to round within .020. and start looking for replacements. More than that,and the balls must be drilled out and replaced.
Terry
yea its hardly ever just one part causing the shimmy - usually just about everything steering wise that can move is worn out and the only way to completely fix it is to properly rebuild it.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #29
Tom Wesenberg

I'd start with a toe in check, then make sure the pitman arm clamp bolt is dead tight, as well as the box to frame mounting bolts.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote