Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2024, 11:58 AM   #1
reggiedog

Question Model A Roof Question

HI;
Got a question without hauling the side pieces into a hardware store I just thought I would ask this question here instead:

Does anyone know the thread count of the bolts for the heavy roof rails for a Late 31 Tudor Sedan as I tried to find out from the company that makes the wood pieces and they couldn't tell me for sure what they were they thought that they were 10/20 count, but does anyone know as to if that is correct and for how long the screws are that go into the inserts on the rails or does everyone have to haul them through a hardware store with them.

As all of them could and are probably different in size as who knows I know I don't know that one you would think the company would only use one size for all of them that they make, but they said that they make over 400 pieces of wood for 400 cars I think that's a lot if there all model A's and that type cars.

But let me know as to what the size is as I don't want to walk into a hardware store with the two wood pieces but if I have to I have to but I just thought it would be faster doing it this way. Let me know Reggiedog
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 02:18 PM   #2
Gene F

Default Re: Model A Roof Question

Photo? (use the blue Post Reply button atop your first message, then the icon will appear for you to attach within your message)
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:15 AM   #3
reggiedog

I'm not going to put a picture on here as that wouldn't be possible to do as I can't take a picture of the thread count and everybody I know knows what I'm talking about when I say thread count and if you had those rails you would know what I was talking about so the picture wouldn't be possible to do.

Reggiedog
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:27 PM   #4
rotorwrench

I can't answer your question but I do know that Ford liked to use screw sizes that are less common in the modern era. The size 10 screws like the 10-32 are still in wide use but size 12 screws not so much. They are smaller than the 1/4 inch or #14 screw size.

Hopefully someone here has a handle on what you need.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:51 PM   #5
ModelA29

Take a look at some of the vendor sites that offer the screws and bolts - they generally tell you what they are for. Some offer complete kits - I bought one for my coupe. It had listed the head type, size, and # of each included.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:09 PM   #6
JoeCB

You might find this old ASME thread chart helpful. It wasn't just Ford, there were several screw sizes that we find unusual that were "standard" back in the day. Be particularly cautious when encountering the sizes 12, 14 16 that are close to our very common 1/4 "
Joe B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screw sizes ASME std..jpg (31.2 KB, 17 views)
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote