Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #1

Default Primer paint?

Had the hood sand blasted, so now I will spray it with a primer, any suggestions on a good primer. I was told that PPG epoxy is good paint product.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: Primer paint?

PPG is excellent and
EXPENSIVE
Also I always use one company's products from beginning to end to assure compatability
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #3
2manycars

I used it for many years when I was in the restoration business. I was told that it was the only primer autherized for use in crash repair to maintail the factory rust warrenty. It is a great product.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:30 PM   #4

How many coats for the hood?
Old 12-11-2017, 01:20 AM   #5
cretin

I'll be using SPI epoxy primer pretty soon on an OT project. It was recommended to me by a high end painter who uses a lot of PPG products.
It's priced well too.
cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:14 AM   #6
Oldbluoval

Double coat for me
But if you had it sandblasted and it's still sitting bare I think that is a problem
Oxidation starts immediately. You may consider a self etching primer or metal prep first.
Some guys like Brent may jump in on their thoughts

Last edited by Oldbluoval; 12-11-2017 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
Double coat for me
But if you had it sandblasted and it's still sitting bare I think that is a problem
Oxidation starts immediately. You may consider a self etching primer or metal prep first.
Some guys like Brent may jump in on their thoughts
I meant to say, having it blasted, its not done yet. I plan to spray it as soon as I get it home. I wonder if its best to use a self etching primer either way.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
RAS

I'll preface this by saying it's been years since I have been in the business. But the most important thing to remember is everything you put on as a topcoat is only as good as what is underneath it. If it was mine I would most definitely use a metal etching primer after a good cleaning.
RAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #9
Oldbluoval

If done timely (few hours and not real humid), I would pass on self-etching and go with just epoxy primer. If there are pits, if there are tiny black specs in the base of a pit, they will come back thru even epoxy primer in due time.

IMHO
Old 12-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #10
Kevin in NJ

Yikes!!!!

NO ETCHING!!!

This is not my opinion, but the facts as told by a paint manufacturer. If you do not want to believe me do what I did, call them and ask.

It is an acid layer and technically only for virgin metal, not for rust prevention.
More important is it will be a source of epoxy failure. The acid will prevent the bonding layer from curing. Keep in mind the agent that causes the epoxy to cure is a base.

Read the directions. I know PPG and SPI will tell you 2 coats direct to metal. SPI will tell you do not use any acid products first (BTW it is the owner of SPI that explained to me about the how and why). Then you must put the next coat during the recoat window of the epoxy. I believe it is 7 days for SPI and 3 for PPG, but I could be wrong. The epoxy must be kept above 60 degrees for like 24 hours (again check the directions). If it is allowed to cross below a key temp it stops curing and will not restart when it warms up (learned from the owner of SPI).
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
Yikes!!!!

NO ETCHING!!!

This is not my opinion, but the facts as told by a paint manufacturer. If you do not want to believe me do what I did, call them and ask.

It is an acid layer and technically only for virgin metal, not for rust prevention.
More important is it will be a source of epoxy failure. The acid will prevent the bonding layer from curing. Keep in mind the agent that causes the epoxy to cure is a base.

Read the directions. I know PPG and SPI will tell you 2 coats direct to metal. SPI will tell you do not use any acid products first (BTW it is the owner of SPI that explained to me about the how and why). Then you must put the next coat during the recoat window of the epoxy. I believe it is 7 days for SPI and 3 for PPG, but I could be wrong. The epoxy must be kept above 60 degrees for like 24 hours (again check the directions). If it is allowed to cross below a key temp it stops curing and will not restart when it warms up (learned from the owner of SPI).
Yes, they stress that on their website, no less then 65 degrees for 24 hours. Good thing the Model A doors, hood and trunk are small, Ill put them in the warm house after sprayed.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #12
Ed in Maine

I recently used TCP epoxy urthane primer (1 coat) and then a high build primer (2-3 coats). You then finish sand with 320 to 600 paper before the top coat. Only use the epoxy primer over sanded bare metal. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote