Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2022, 07:12 AM   #1
Oldbluoval

Default Hershey

Haven’t seen a single post about the meet. Did it rain out yesterday? Looks like a bad forecast for today….bummer
Sure miss going; haven’t been since 2017. Just can’t walk it anymore and need nothing.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:45 AM   #2
jak

Default Re: Hershey

I talked to a friend who was there yesterday. He said foot traffic was light in the morning but got a little heavier as the day went on. Based off the weather today is pretty much going to be a cold and rainy day up there.
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:00 PM   #3
wwirz

I am going tomorrow. Looks like it will be dry in the afternoon. Will make a day of it.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:26 PM   #4
norcalal

Today is the first full day of swapping, or supposed to be. As of this noon, most spaces were not open or unoccupied. Didn’t rain for a good hour this morning but has been raining steadily since. Tomorrow weather should improve as the day goes on, and hopefully everyone will be ready to swap.
norcalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:51 PM   #5
hotrodart

I am at the flea market now....got here around 9:30 AM......rain/drizzle, cold......most vendors are not open today....more "customers" than I thought would be on the field......off field parking is $20/day......Wednesday & Thursday forecast to be much better.....
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:54 PM   #6
Midwest Tin

Monday set up was good. Found some nice items. Tuesday rain most of the day but did manage to find a few more nice parts. Wednesday rain am and clearing pm. Hoping all vendors will be open tomorrow. Enjoy the photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8FD8B28A-807A-4058-AC27-45CEAEA857BA.jpg (126.4 KB, 773 views)
File Type: jpg A4DE09C0-910E-46AF-81DD-B3107A70DE04.jpg (100.2 KB, 1018 views)
File Type: jpg 2909A80E-B363-48C5-BB5B-C00D99F1FF92.jpg (126.4 KB, 129 views)
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:09 PM   #7
snaps3500

I spent the day at the “Swamp “ meet. It rained all day and still is. The temp dropped all day and the crowd was lite. More than half the venders were closed and the car corral was also very lite. The rest of the week looks like the weather will improve. I guess I was one of the die hard hobbyists and weathered the storm . Looking forward to tomorrow for some more treasures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snaps3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:38 PM   #8
dean from bozeman

Been wet but have found some great bargains. Looks like it will stop raining tomorrow morning. Can't wait.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:19 PM   #9
Steve in Denver

PLEASE take lots of pictures for those of use who can't attend.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:08 PM   #10
ronn

great bargains?

licking my chops- do tell............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:47 PM   #11
Doug Linden

Yes, much better shopping opportunities today as most of the vendors were open and bargins were out there. Spent some time visiting at both the MARC and MAFCA tents talking with folks there. Found Model A parts mixed in many booths so you had to be observant. Looking forward to another day tomorrow.
Doug Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:57 PM   #12
mercman from oz

Cars Midwest Tin photographed at Hershey
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:38 AM   #13
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Denver View Post
PLEASE take lots of pictures for those of use who can't attend.
Yes lots of photos please
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:41 PM   #14
norcalal

Temps in mid 70’s today and seemed like stuff was really starting to sell
norcalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:42 PM   #15
Terry, NJ

Well, I made it out there today and there's good news and bad news! The good news is that I was expecting no one to be there, but there was a good turnout. Compared to what? Other later years. I started with the trips about 2009 so I can't say what they were in say 1999 or 1970. I used to feel about Hershey like I did on the first day of "real" fall when you can hear ducks fly over. You know it's soon going to be hunting season and the blood charges through your veins with new life. Hershey became a new and exciting experience for me. Unfortunately, Ive had to watch it dwindle down with each years passing, so seeing it looking........ well, pretty good, was a welcome surprise. However, My "Boardwalk Cruiser's" (For those who don't live near the shore, a boardwalk cruiser is a three wheeled bicycle with a large basket, primarily a very stable Trike for the old folks) tires are getting old and spongy. (Chinese)The front one was flat this AM when I took it out of the shed. I got that resolved, but one of the rear tires let go about twenty minutes into the field. So I rode it flat. One guy had a compressor and pumped me up, but it went flat again in one hundred feet. I was looking for 1929 Headlights, Whew! I had no idea! One optimist I met had a pretty nice pair.................. For a GRAND $ Yikes! (Kist mir en Tauchess!) But another guy wanted $20. for a old used model A oil filler Cap (But it was Chromed and it had a ford logo on it) This this was used, the chrome was rough, and it needed a good cleaning. Again,I say sit on it and rotate! Smith and Jones provided a new, good, serviceable one for $6.50 Because of my knees and back, I'm considered
Handicapped and it was twenty, $20. bucks to park. I got tired a little beyond pole # 38 in the chocolate field and turned around and worked my way across the field to where the van was parked. But Those 29 Headlights!!!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:03 AM   #16
old31

Midwest, what brand car is the first picture?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:16 AM   #17
ronn

Terry, Ive always found the 28-29 lights so much harder to find in good shape, then the 30-31s.
obviously same with the 28-29 wheels. about 1-10 in availability in good shape

I wonder if many didnt put 30-31 wheels and headlights on their 28-29 cars to make them look "newer" in the mid 30s.
I ave even installed 30-31 headlights on some of my "rougher" 28-29 As, because most people havent a clue.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:18 PM   #18
Terry, NJ

Hey Ronn! That's what I told the guy with the $1000. lights! I'll put 30-31s on in place of 28-29s. I know you always hate to put incorrect parts on, but ya know yer just feeding some A-hole"s ego when you spend big money on relatively insignificant parts that you will probably find much later at a much lower price. Those $1000. buckets were worn, Make no mistake about that! You could see the brass coming through the chrome. Sometimes, I regret being too tough on prices, but this isn't one of them.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:00 AM   #19
Wick

I'm back,Hershey was a lot different this year. 500+ cars in the car corral on Thursday. I found some great deals on V8 60 parts. I bought a lot of cutouts to keep Steve busy. KRW stuff was all over the place,I saw 4 engine stands....$800-2200
Horns everywhere, Roadster body for $3,500,truck cabs,Tudor body,project cars....none sold.
The chocolate field had lite traffic everyday, Orange was busy,Green was busy. People were complaining about the $20 parking
Rain on Tuesday had buyers coming by,some drove cars all day too shop,I did plenty of shopping. Wednesday I had buyers only when I pulled out High wheel bicycle parts. Thursday was a dud,sold nothing,went shopping and all the A stuff was picked over or over priced.
Thursday was also bring your dog and wife day to just walk ..plenty of scooters just riding around
You rarely see someone carrying a part on a scooter/golf cart.
Between Carlisle and Hershey it cost me to set up this year,normally it's profitable. Fuel was $500.00 Between both events. Next year no Carlisle for me,I'll focus on Hershey more.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:36 AM   #20
ronn

Wick, thanks for the update. I always appreciate your feedback.

It looks like these shows pretty much mirror the economy. People love to spend when $ abounds and not so much otherwise.

Last August listed /sold 5 cars on the bay in a week and paid in 2 days in full.

this year listed 6 cars on the bay in Sept and sold one. Not really worth the time....