Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2019, 09:07 PM   #1
Joe K

Default Ares Stud Removal Tool +1

I've prepared a couple of engine blocks (at least) at this point in my life. Yunno - gutting the block out, measuring all the parts, finding out how bad the engine rebuilder is going to cut into your wallet to make it "right."

Previously I have struggled with removing the head studs. I've used pipe wrenches, two vise-grip wrenches held alternately, a reamer wrench (those sharp hardened square openings bite very nicely into softer round stock if you choose your wrench size properly.)

I've done the "tap-tap-tap" on the top of the stud while under torque. I've done the two-nut method both with and without an impact wrench. I've used all manner of penetrating oil AND once even heat - which I don't recommend.

And I've broken a couple of studs in my life.

Yesterday I received my Ares Stud Removal Tool and today I took it for a test drive. On the block of interest I had carefully removed four studs without adverse incident by the means above taking about an hour to do it - but I didn't anticipate removing the remaining 10 studs in under 5 minutes!

Gosh - having the right tools makes ALL the difference.

I chose the Ares tool because it was advertised to be used with regular wrenches or an impact wrench. I can tell you don't waste your time trying to use the tool with a regular wrench - the impact wrench has it ALL covered. Including getting the tool off the stud once it is removed. (Besides the impact wrench you'll need a 1-3/8 open end or adjustable wrench.)

Here' where I got mine https://www.amazon.com/ARES-70016-Da...sr=1-1-catcorr But there are probably cheaper sources out there.

So nice. And I hardly even got my hands dirty!

Definitely a "keepah!"

Joe K