Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #21
Russ Gaylord Fontana

Default Re: Flatplane/Norden/Cross Fire Crank????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
Russ, Are you changing direction a bit (post#14) away from the flat crank?
No
So, what I want to know is, has anyone built a flathead with a flatplane crank?

I'm just after info on someone who's built/run one...
I'm proud to say I've got a Pete1 built engine, bought it ages ago and it's only just got mated up with a very rough and ready sprint car.

It'd just be good to do something different....

Thanks jimTN anyone with more info on the Paul Goose engine/car
Russ Gaylord Fontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #22
Russ Gaylord Fontana

Just found this on the HAMB by:Hyperborean
Gentlemen, Go to vaautoracing.org and click on L.O. Stanley who was a little known, but natural genius at high performance engines. He built many successful crossfire racing engines in the 1950's. First one I recall hearing of was driven by legendary Curtis Turner. He ground his cams, made his own distributors and modified the bottom end to stand the stress of firing two cylinders at once. His first attempt drove the crankshaft out the bottom of the engine! You dudes won't believe the intake manifold on this engine! On the outside, it appeared stock with a 1951 Mercury carburetor. He hid two more carbs UNDER the manifold that drew air through what appeared to be crankcase breathers! How he made the float bowls work, I'm still trying to figure. He also built 420 cu. in. flatheads, two of which are still running! NASCAR outlawed his engines from sanctioned races, Mickey Mouse then, Mickey Mouse now. He later worked for Holman-Moody and Ford engineering. Check the site. Anyone beginning to feel a little humble, now?
http://www.vaautoracing.org/oval6.htm

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=242893

Last edited by Russ Gaylord Fontana; 08-19-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: adding a link
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #23
BrianCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Gaylord Fontana View Post
Just found this on the HAMB by:Hyperborean
Gentlemen, Go to vaautoracing.org and click on L.O. Stanley who was a little known, but natural genius at high performance engines. He built many successful crossfire racing engines in the 1950's. First one I recall hearing of was driven by legendary Curtis Turner. He ground his cams, made his own distributors and modified the bottom end to stand the stress of firing two cylinders at once. His first attempt drove the crankshaft out the bottom of the engine! You dudes won't believe the intake manifold on this engine! On the outside, it appeared stock with a 1951 Mercury carburetor. He hid two more carbs UNDER the manifold that drew air through what appeared to be crankcase breathers! How he made the float bowls work, I'm still trying to figure. He also built 420 cu. in. flatheads, two of which are still running! NASCAR outlawed his engines from sanctioned races, Mickey Mouse then, Mickey Mouse now. He later worked for Holman-Moody and Ford engineering. Check the site. Anyone beginning to feel a little humble, now?
http://www.vaautoracing.org/oval6.htm

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=242893
Great story. Those carbs are Model A or tractor and updraft type.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #24
Russ Gaylord Fontana

I've got a feeling that I might be flogging a dead horse but never one to quit...
Does anyone have any ideas on a build for one of these monsters? If the vibrations as bad as its made out to be, what considerations should be taken into account.
Ol' Ron suggests no bigger than a 4" crank and an open plenum but what about, heads, compression and how to hold the bottom end together?