Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
ersatz

Default Floor Mat with Backing for '46 Pick Up ?

I have a 1946 Ford 1/2 Pickup Truck.

Does anyone know of a vendor that sells a FLOOR MAT that has padding on the bottom?
ersatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
peewee2you

Default Re: Floor Mat with Backing for '46 Pick Up ?

FYI, I order'd a floor mat for a 47 Ford thru Lebaron Bonney and the mat was fine, and it had the backing? I put question mark only because the backing was not attached, and that might have been fine, but the backing was not pre-cut for clutch, brake and shape of mat, which I wasn't even remotely amused. I called them to say if anyone had the apporpriate tools to cut this professionally it would have been them, and that they should have stated that. Their answer was that they only order it from another vendor, and that is that. So, needless to say I just usd the rubber mat for the time being, without the backing because it was just a loose piece of joot.. I guess my point being be aware to question if backing it attached and is cut appropriately, unless you have the tools and the know how, it isn't that I couldn't have attempted to cut it, just didn't have the proper tools, and this is not a thin backing.
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Henryat1140

It's not really all that much of a job if you have somewhere flat to lay the mat.

Flip it over and lay the jute out on the back side. Use shears or a utility knife to trim it, then a general purpose adhesive like #77 sprayed on the back of the mat and on the jute.

As far as the holes in the jute, you want to cut them a little oversize anyway so it isn't critical.

Good Luck
Henryat1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
sturgis39

I do not like floor mats or carpeting in old cars and trucks. Mine are not show cars but the floor covering attracts moisture and rust.
sturgis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
ersatz

I checked with Lebaron Bonney and they apparently no longer offer a mat with backing. C & G had nothing either. I suppose I will make my own, just thought it would be on the market.

I often drive my truck on a weekly basis weather permitting and living in a sandy area I like to have protection for the floor, etc.

Thanks for everyone's comments. Here's wishing everyone a Happy New Year!
ersatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
TJ

Home Depot and Lowes carry a ribbed rubber that would make a good floor mat. It looks like the ribbed rubber used on Model A running boards. Make yourself a paper pattern and transfer it to the rubber and you're done. There's also some foam (closed cell) padding that can be found at swap meets and some rod shops that you can put under the mat. The closed cell pad will not absorb water.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
waterboychuck

Try Dennis Carpenter. Item 81C-7013000. It fits 38-47 w/ jute backing but does not have die cut holes. $130
waterboychuck is offline   Reply With Quote