Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
mmindling

Default e28 Distributor Rebuild

Hi FordBarners,

Working on rebuilding an e28 distributor for use on A 11739. Two questions on this:
*Oiler - how to remove the brass side oiler without damage? It seems like it would break off if too much pressure is used? What tool to use?
*Unidentified threaded hole - on this distibutor body (marked American Bosch Corp) there is a threaded screw hole on the upper part of the body just under the lip for the distributor cap. It is in the side of the distributor and the threads and hole go right through to end up between the upper and lower plates. This is an early distributor with the square cut openings for the upper plate and only one locating pin for the cap.
The unidentified screw hole is opposite the oiler side of the unit. I'm looking at Steve Pargeters book on Model A distributors and also the current issue of Ford Times, but don't find this particular opening. It looks like factory, since it has the same degree of crud as the rest of the body.

Let me know any thougths or comments.

Regards,

[email protected]
mmindling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: e28 Distributor Rebuild

Interesting.......I didn't know Steve had a book on distributors, but I do have and like his carb book!

To remove the oiler, the best method I've tried is to use a straight punch, the largest that will fit the oil hole. Insert it into the hole until it bottoms, then use a large flat blade screwdriver between the side of the punch and the distributor cast body. Twist (not pry) the screwdriver clockwise so the blade force is on the top of the blade against the body, and next to the oiler on the bottom. This should pop it out with NO damage. I think I took a picture of doing this and if I find it I'll post it.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 10-21-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I use a Starret 5/32" punch in the oil hole.
I was going to make a special tool to remove the oiler, but this works so well, why bother.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 10-21-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmindling View Post
Hi FordBarners,

Working on rebuilding an e28 distributor for use on A 11739. Two questions on this:
*Oiler - how to remove the brass side oiler without damage? It seems like it would break off if too much pressure is used? What tool to use?
*Unidentified threaded hole - on this distibutor body (marked American Bosch Corp) there is a threaded screw hole on the upper part of the body just under the lip for the distributor cap. It is in the side of the distributor and the threads and hole go right through to end up between the upper and lower plates. This is an early distributor with the square cut openings for the upper plate and only one locating pin for the cap.
The unidentified screw hole is opposite the oiler side of the unit. I'm looking at Steve Pargeters book on Model A distributors and also the current issue of Ford Times, but don't find this particular opening. It looks like factory, since it has the same degree of crud as the rest of the body.

Let me know any thougths or comments.

Regards,

[email protected]
The only two threaded holes I've seen on a Model A distributor are the one for the condenser ground mount, and the one for the popout cable.

All distributors have only one locating pin, but later replacement caps (bodies) have two notches, so they can fit on the B distributor or the A distributor.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
mmindling

Default Re: e28 Distributor Rebuild:More

Hello,

First, many thanks to Tom W. for advice on removing the distributor oiler.
It worked well, as you can see in the attached pics.
Also, attached pics of e28 distributor body with the strange threaded hole in the upper body. Have placed a machine screw in the hole to identify location. Anyone know what this is for?? Could is be a ve28 distributor with some odd feature?? Both outside and inside pics show the location which is on the condensor side of the distributor between the upper and lower plates. Hoping to find out about this feature.
You will see pics of the main distributor shaft from this unit. Note how the lower shaft is burned and damaged. Must be the result of failure to lubricate the shaft plus heat from the manifold and head. Good example of deferred maintenance damage. I noted the oil gallery between the oiler and the shaft was clogged with detritus - maybe that contributed to the problem.
Thanks to all for your advice and comments.
Regards,

[email protected] Watertown, Ohio, Washington County.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1606.jpg (77.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1607.jpg (67.0 KB, 43 views)
mmindling is offline   Reply With Quote