Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2016, 12:01 AM   #1
daveymc29

Default Diamond Blocks?

Can anyone tell me what these are and where to gather information on them? My friend just got two of them and we're in the learning mode at present. Any information will be more than I have acquired to date.

Thanks in advance,
Dave Mc Arthur
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:26 AM   #2
Roadster62

Default Re: Diamond Blocks?

I don't know about Model A blocks but the Model B DIAMOND blocks are said to be made post production and are a heavier casting, better suited for Hot Rod - Race Car use. Bob
Old 01-13-2016, 03:13 AM   #3
colin1928

Diamond blocks were made thur till 1940 or so and were service replacement blocks or engine sold to the dealers just like any spare parts
the later 1s had valve seat inserts
they were cast using the original patterns so no heavier but some had a better carbon and other alloys content depending on what was being used in casting blocks at the time
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:46 AM   #4
Dodge

I have A diamond blocks and two B diamond block and have sonic checked them against
Stock blocks and don't see much difference. I think all the buzz on these is for nothing
IMO.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:37 AM   #5
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
I have A diamond blocks and two B diamond block and have sonic checked them against
Stock blocks and don't see much difference. I think all the buzz on these is for nothing
IMO.
X2
That said, I believe that an A block is more likely to be good than a B.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #6
Dave in MN

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
They are later date production blocks often used as replacement stock and for stationary work applications is the main difference. You will find a date of production tag on the side of the block. From my experience, measuring diamond blocks available in my area (Minnesota); diamond blocks have less wear and less cracks. Because they have less wear, they typically are a better choice for rebuilding. Other than the later diamond blocks having inserted valve seats, I also do not see much difference in their casting or finish machining. When purchasing engine cores, I will often pay more for a diamond block as the chance of obtaining a good core is higher.

For a second opinion as to which engine to use in our own vehicles, my wife says: "Diamonds are best!"

For more info on "Diamond Blocks" check out Vince Falter's website. The following link will take you to a very informative area of information.
http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/diamondblock.htm

Good Day.

Last edited by Dave in MN; 01-13-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Here you go for you answers!

National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:30 PM   #8
ursus

I have found the Model-B diamond blocks to be just as crack prone as the original B-blocks if not more so. I have been able to repair some of the original B-block cracks but the diamond B-block engines all proved to be unrepairable because any attempt to repair a crack seemed to create more cracks somewhere else on the casting. The diamond A-blocks are reputed to be better than stock, but I have yet to see one.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
brito36

The diamond block was a post production block , manufactured by Ford sometime after the Model A period. I have seen these blocks used in a variety of applications, from farm equipment to vehicles to other construction equipment. I have personally searched through the Ford archives but was unable to find any documentation on these blocks as far as usages or even the mark on the block. I only know that the Model A blocks were cast as late as 1937 or 1938. I wish that I could be of more assistance.
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
Brentwood Bob

Dave, the diamond blocks assembled and run in at the Rouge plant had a regular number stamped on the block At the usual place.
If the block was assembled at a factory, say san francisco, the number on the block would be be proceeded with the sf abbreviation.
If the block was not stamped, it could have been a replacement from a dealership.
The casting date is located on the pass side lower front of the block.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #11
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
Dave, the diamond blocks assembled and run in at the Rouge plant had a regular number stamped on the block At the usual place.
If the block was assembled at a factory, say san francisco, the number on the block would be be proceeded with the sf abbreviation.
If the block was not stamped, it could have been a replacement from a dealership.
The casting date is located on the pass side lower front of the block.
Bob

Yup...Thanks Bob,
Vince Falter's site covers those details quite nicely directly below the good pictures he has on his site of the Diamond markings.
Link from previous post:
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:47 PM   #12
pgerhardt

From what I read on the Fordgarage site the diamond block in my 29 tudor was cast in 1936 (my favorite year other than the model A), and it has a model B camshaft (a good thing I suppose). Maybe I should reunite it with a model B head?
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote