Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Working Class Zero

Default Timing covers that fit a model b motor?

Ok, so I have a 1932 model B motor in my model A. I want to put the 32 front motor mount in and will fabricate a custom landing point for it. But........ The 32 front motor mount bar won't fit because of the timing cover. The bolt holes line up but the ledge in the casting on the cover directly above the mounting holes make so it won't fit. My research on the timing cover tells me I have an early 1928 model a cover. Question is how is this possible. Do all timing covers from 1928-1932 fit on a 32 b motor? I definitallly have a b motor as it has the fuel pump hole on he passenger side of the block. I thought though that a 32 had a larger crank and needed a 32-34 timing cover for the larger half moon opening at the crank location? Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks guys!!!
Working Class Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
rogeroadster

Default Re: Timing covers that fit a model b motor?

Did you look here?
http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/timingcovers.htm
rogeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Roadster62

There are at least 3 different style "B" front covers, I think the bolt hole locations differ. Bob
Old 09-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Working Class Zero

I had just finished reading that before I posted. Great info. That's why I love Ford Barn!!! But I didn't see anything about the size of the half moon opening, or crank size differences. I'm assuming the half moon or crank hole is the same on all as it stated something about the 32 cover be identical to the a cover, (except for early 28), but for the timing pin location. I'm hoping I just have an early 28 cover which maybe fit a 32 and it's crank and can just swap it out for a 32 timing cover and be all good.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Working Class Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
There are at least 3 different style "B" front covers, I think the bolt hole locations differ. Bob
Hmmmm. Does anyone concur with this? Cause I have no idea. Mine looks like the very first cover in the thread mentioned above. Early 28, so I know that fits? I'm a bit mixed up here.....
Old 09-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
Working Class Zero

Question is, do both a early 28 timing cover, and a 1932 timing cover both fit a 1932 - 1934 model b motor?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
columbiA

For your "B"engine in an "A",in order to use the 32 "B" mount bar,you need a 29-31 "A" cover if using an "A" dist,or a 32 "B" cover if using the "B" dist.The 33 & later "B" covers have the gen mount set back farther.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
Roadster62

Just went to the basement to check the parts pile. I have two "B" front covers. One has the mount holes with 9 inch centers the other is 6 1/4. I have 3 different front mounts that bolt to the cover and front crossmember. Bob ........... I'll post some photos later
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE MCAFFER View Post
Hmmmm. Does anyone concur with this? Cause I have no idea. Mine looks like the very first cover in the thread mentioned above. Early 28, so I know that fits? I'm a bit mixed up here.....
Old 09-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
Working Class Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiA View Post
For your "B"engine in an "A",in order to use the 32 "B" mount bar,you need a 29-31 "A" cover if using an "A" dist,or a 32 "B" cover if using the "B" dist.The 33 & later "B" covers have the gen mount set back farther.
Ok. So 29-32 all bolt on and fit the same on the 32 b block. Right? And I assume you are saying it depends on the distributer which you use because of the timing pin location?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Working Class Zero

I currently have on a model a distributer but plan to run a 32.......
Old 09-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
Roadster62

I believe the crank pulley is the same diameter A & B. The A cover has the timing pin in a round area in the casting, the "B" covers I have have the timing pin in an oval raised area. That is the differance the dimple in the timing gear is lined up differently between the A & B covers. Bob
Old 09-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Purdy Swoft

Here is some timing cover pictures from my collection. The first one at left is a 1932 model B timing cover note the raised area around the timing pin hole. The middle cover is the 1928 timing cover, notice the raised shelf where it rests on the earlier front crossmember. The third cover, to the far right is the cover that was used from maybe late 1928 until end of model A production, this one doesn't have the full shelf but only two small raised areas that fit over the later front yoke style mount. Any of these timing covers will fit the model A or B engines. The main difference in the model B timing cover that matters is the location of the timing pin. If you plan to run the model B distributor in a model A (A or B engine) you will need to use the B cover, to less complicate setting the timing. The model B engine has larger bearing throughs than the model A but the area that the crankshaft pulley slips over is the same diameter as the model A. The distance between the front mount holes are the same in all. I'm not familiar with the 1933-34 covers but my guess is that the main difference is the generator mount.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 09-15-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
Roadster62

Model B front motor mounts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lime Rock 2012 007.jpg (44.4 KB, 255 views)
Old 09-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
The cover on the left is a Model A service cover, not a Model B. The timing pin is in the Model A position.
Thanks Vince, I may have sold it for A model B cover. I've never heard of a service cover like that for a model A. I guess I didn't give it much thought. I noticed the raised boss around the timing pin and it looked like model B. There is probably a bunch of timing covers like this out there that will be mistaken for model B.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 09-15-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Roadster62

THANK YOU! So the bottom one is for a 33-34 CAR, the middle one would also fit a 33-34 pickup and large truck? Bob
Quote:

The top one is Model B car
The middle one is Model BB truck
The bottom one is 1933-34 Model 40.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #16
columbiA

The middle mount fits BB trucks-1-1/2 ton,The top one fits"B" cars & pickups-Commercial.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #17
62pan

I used a Model B front mount for my A motor and a 32 K member for the rear mount. I used the mount that is the middle mount in the above photos. One problem with this was that I had to relieve part of it that it interfered with the radiator hose. It wasn't that much but I don't think if I would have used the shorter mount I would have had to do this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1012.jpg (149.9 KB, 47 views)
62pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #18
Jerry Parr WI

Quote:

The top one is Model B car and Commercial
The middle one is Model BB truck
The bottom one is 1933-34 Model 40.
The middle mount was used on early 32 B cars and pickups. It was used without the firewall snubber that was used with the narrower, later mount shown on top.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
Jerry Parr WI

Quote:
Jerry,
I thought the one I show here is early.
What is your view about this one?
Don't know what it is but it appears to be the one shown on page 204 of the green bible. My 32 B has the middle wide mount (15 in) with the flat cross member (no depressions for mounts) and no firewall snubber. I am only familiar with it and the later 12 in. (top) mount. My guess would be some 33-34 application. Like the 12 and 15 in it appears to have the wide spaced cover mounting holes not the narrow spaced of the bottom mount shown. It does seem to have the shallow off set that would not clear the crank with a 32 cover.

Last edited by Jerry Parr WI; 09-17-2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: additional
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #20
Roadster62

Two different Model B covers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-015F.JPG (93.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-016F.JPG (55.3 KB, 35 views)