Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2020, 08:49 AM   #1
mhsEngineeringStudent

Default MHS Students Model A

We would like to introduce ourselves. We are high school students at Mishawaka High school. Our team members are Joaquin,Kyra, Mia, Mikayla, Trevor, and Troy. We want to locate and restore a Model A for our class project this year. In the past we entered the ETI competition, where we built a fuel-efficient car, designed by students and made out of carbon fiber. Due to the ongoing pandemic, this competition was cancelled last year, and this year’s competition is in jeopardy. So we are now looking for help for our new project, restoring a Model A. We would like to involve the Model A community virtually for advice throughout the restoring process, especially in the initial search for a Model A.

Last edited by mhsEngineeringStudent; 09-10-2020 at 08:55 AM.
mhsEngineeringStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
old31

Default Re: MHS Students Model A

Well good for you. I think it's great that the younger generation has an interest in the car world, especially model A's.

Post the city and state you are in so that some local guys or clubs will contact you.

In the meantime you can look at these sites for a possible search.

https://classiccars.com/

https://www.hemmings.com/
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:31 AM   #3
Mike Peters

Where are you located? Some areas of the United States have more Model A's than other areas. Generally, you will find more Model A's in the north than in the southern states, because more Model A's were sold in the north initially, from 1928 to 1931. Craigslist, Facebook market place, and your local Modle A club, if one exists. Contact your Local Model A club. They will help you.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
1930artdeco

Welcome to the club! As was stated above your location will help a lot. Also look at Craigslist and MAFCA for a local club to assist you in locating a car. Depending on what you want/need to do may depend on the car you look at.

For example, if you have limited time, skills, shop space, or tools, a coupe or roadster would be a better project than a 28-30 Fordoor sedan. The sedan bodies are built out of wood so you will have three different major projects going at once. The coupe and roadsters have very little wood.

Good luck and please ask any questions you may have. Many people have multiple parts laying around and may donate if you state what you need and ask.

Mike
Old 09-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
tnhammond

The Pasadena High School Model A Club (Pasadena, CA) is completing the restoration of a 1929 Murray Fordor.

Please see the September/October 2020 issue of "The Restorer". Page 34.

Dr. Wibert Smith is the Technical Director for the club. Email: [email protected]

I suspect that you will find a wealth of information.

Tim Hammond
Altadena, CA
tnhammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #6
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

According to Google, Mishawaka High School is a public high school located in Mishawaka, Indiana.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:21 PM   #7
warhorseracing

Welcome and yes guys add your location. There is a wealth of knowledge and the old guys that have it are not going to be here forever so learn what you can while you can.
warhorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #8
mhsEngineeringStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
Where are you located? Some areas of the United States have more Model A's than other areas. Generally, you will find more Model A's in the north than in the southern states, because more Model A's were sold in the north initially, from 1928 to 1931. Craigslist, Facebook market place, and your local Modle A club, if one exists. Contact your Local Model A club. They will help you.
Thank you for responding to us. We are located In Mishawaka, Indiana which is next to the city of South Bend, Indiana. We are northern Indiana and Michigan is 10 minutes away.

Thank you for your time
Trevor
Old 09-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #9
ronn

Nice rare sedan on MAFCA for sale right now for 3900.

would resale well when finished, due to rarity.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #10
Jim Brierley

Please keep us posted on your project, and tell us what you need in the way of parts, etc. I have donated re-ground cams to student projects in the past, and am willing to do so for you.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #11
dpson

You guys should do a Studebaker, they were manufactured in the next town over.
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:30 PM   #12
Terry, NJ

I have contacted My wife's cousin about the 1930 Tudor! It is a mostly complete car with a spare engine and some other spare/extra parts. I was wrong about the price, he wanted $4000. (Thats a starting point!) Supposedly it ran when it was purchased, many years ago. The car has been in the garage for all that time. The car has a clean NJ title . I asked Mike about it and the windshield frame and the seat springs are there, along with the grill shroud. The body is still on the frame and IIRC there was more than one spare engine. Perhaps I'm wrong. The same goes for the wheels. Again, IIRC the tires may have been flat but they were there. My E-mail is [email protected]
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:29 PM   #13
Ted Duke

NOT mine.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...68641703654147

1931 ford model A Fordor Town Sedan. Unmolested car. Looks like original interior. Have put new pistons in engine and other electrical components. Solid car 1 small spot of rust. Have to many projects. Asking $7000. Title in hand
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #14
Jim Brierley

Try your local Model A club, you may even get a donor???
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #15
77Birdman

I like the way your school thinks (restoring an old car). This may turn into a multi year project though, it may take a while to find a car to restore. If youre set on a model A I would put feelers out in all of the A communities (perhaps you already have). Surely there is someone that would be willing to donate a car to the cause. The local Studebaker museum may be able to point you in the right direction for help, better yet would be a trip to the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners MI. Its not that far from where you are located.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:47 AM   #16
mhsEngineeringStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
I have contacted My wife's cousin about the 1930 Tudor! It is a mostly complete car with a spare engine and some other spare/extra parts. I was wrong about the price, he wanted $4000. (Thats a starting point!) Supposedly it ran when it was purchased, many years ago. The car has been in the garage for all that time. The car has a clean NJ title . I asked Mike about it and the windshield frame and the seat springs are there, along with the grill shroud. The body is still on the frame and IIRC there was more than one spare engine. Perhaps I'm wrong. The same goes for the wheels. Again, IIRC the tires may have been flat but they were there. My E-mail is [email protected]
Thank you for finding out the information on the Tudor.
Do you want us to contact you through the forums or through email from now on?

Trevor
Old 09-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #17
mhsEngineeringStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhammond View Post
The Pasadena High School Model A Club (Pasadena, CA) is completing the restoration of a 1929 Murray Fordor.

Please see the September/October 2020 issue of "The Restorer". Page 34.

Dr. Wibert Smith is the Technical Director for the club. Email: [email protected]

I suspect that you will find a wealth of information.

Tim Hammond
Altadena, CA
Thank you so much Tim. This is some great information and I am contacting them as we speak and I think it will help our class out a ton.

Thank You
Troy
Old 09-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #18
mhsEngineeringStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
I like the way your school thinks (restoring an old car). This may turn into a multi year project though, it may take a while to find a car to restore. If youre set on a model A I would put feelers out in all of the A communities (perhaps you already have). Surely there is someone that would be willing to donate a car to the cause. The local Studebaker museum may be able to point you in the right direction for help, better yet would be a trip to the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners MI. Its not that far from where you are located.
Thank you for replying to us, I am sorry for any delay in response time our class meets two to three times a week. We are currently attempting to plan a trip to the Gilmore Museum. In case we cannot get a donation we are currently working on getting a grant so we could buy a car. We currently have $2400 to spend on a car but we are working on getting more.

Trevor

Last edited by mhsEngineeringStudent; 09-14-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:00 AM   #19
mhsEngineeringStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpson View Post
You guys should do a Studebaker, they were manufactured in the next town over.
Last year we had planned to do a Studebaker and we had a possible car. But then the Covid-19 Pandemic hit and we lost the car and our help with the car. Our teacher is more knowledgeable and there are more Model A's out there.

Trevor
Old 09-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #20
mhsEngineeringStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Nice rare sedan on MAFCA for sale right now for 3900.

would resale well when finished, due to rarity.
Do you have a link to the car?

Trevor